GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

6500lb Tow Hitch Installation and Pix

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 06:25 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6500lb Tow Hitch Installation and Pix

I was going to put this in one of the other threads but figured it would get lost and its technically not the integral hitch so shouldnt be in that thread. There is a great deal of information in that thread but its subject is the integral hitch.

I wanted to supply a current pic of the OEM hitch as ordered recently from my local dealer and installed myself (8/2010). The OEM hitch attaches with 12 bolts vs. some of the other hitches available.

Vehicle is a 2007 GX w/ KDSS

Installation instructions:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/PT22860540.pdf

I didnt do a full installation write up because a hitch install is pretty much a hitch install. Find the frame and the holes and bolt it on. What I found different on ours is the spacers which are just spacers and having to move the existing wiring plug. The OE hitch has 2 notched holes in the front 4 which make getting it up in place a breeze. It allows you to start 2 bolts first then hang the hitch on them. Which is easier than trying to lift it and start bolts while holding it up.

Pix:

With that one partnumber/box you get all of the below:

Hope this helps anyone who was still confused after reading many posts.

Last edited by 97JZA80; 08-11-10 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-11-10, 01:02 PM
JAH29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phenomenal! How much all in? I am trying to decide between Curt hitch and OEM.

Thanks,

Joe (2007)
Old 08-12-10, 05:13 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Sewell sells it for 329 plus shipping...local dealers should be able to come close to that.
Old 08-12-10, 09:19 PM
hammer0008
Rookie

do you have enough clearance to the electrical socket for hitch wiring? The reason I ask is that Curt hitches supposedly block that socket.
Old 08-13-10, 03:46 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97JZA80
Sewell sells it for 329 plus shipping...local dealers should be able to come close to that.
Too bad you didn't sign up as a Member. CL member can get the Class IV hitch for about $238 + shipping.
Old 08-13-10, 04:35 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

hammer- You remove the stock mount for the hitch wiring and it bolts onto the new oe hitch using a new supplied mount. This mount is visible in the second picture and has a open ended circle pattern in the middle of it.

redrocks-Thats great information for everyone on here. I didnt go through Sewell. I went local and was able to get it for a little less than you mentioned above and no shipping. But I have family in the business so that helps.

Last edited by 97JZA80; 08-13-10 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-13-10, 10:03 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

97JZA80,

My apologies, I thought you had purchased from Sewell. Yes, it helps to have contacts in the business.
Old 08-17-10, 12:10 PM
fscabrera
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I purchased the same hitch show here from Sewell, and installed in my 2004 Gx470, but I have problems matching the 4 screw in the from, I was only able to use the 2 screw in the back of the front assemble other wise the hole hitch move forward and the screw in the sides did not mach the holes, do any one have the same problem?, maybe I'm doing something wrong? any suggestion?
Old 08-18-10, 05:11 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

There was a part on the drivers side framerail towards the back of the hitch where the last bolt goes in that hung me up and produced a similar result to what your saying. I couldnt see it at first but the hitch needed to be above this thing, it was somewhat thin metal and looked like a shield of some sort. Once I got the hitch over that piece and rested firmly on the framerail everything lined up perfect.

Might not be your issue but only thing I can think of unless 04s are in some way different.

Last edited by 97JZA80; 08-19-10 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-18-10, 03:43 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like the cover for the air suspension module. This cover can be removed or as 97JZA80 did, just slide the hitch under the cover.
Old 08-26-10, 11:29 AM
Lojak
Driver School Candidate

97JZA80 - got a few ?'s, I am looking to install a hitch onto my 03 which currently does not have one! Nice install btw!
This hitch you installed is considered a Factory OEM hitch? The reason I ask is that it is visable below your rear bumper cover. I have been searching hi and low for a factory hitch and they all seem to mount the same as yours here. I have gone to a local dealership (not lexus) that happens to have a used 06 sitting on their lot with a tow hitch that is totally tucked under the bumper cover and is accessable by removing the small removable panel in the middle. And the wiring is tucked neatly under to the left on a bracket. Are these hitches available anywhere? And what about wiring harnesses? I seem to have found a direct plug in harness somewhere (as my GX seems to have the factory plugs hanging underneath on the driver side) but it seems the Curt hitches do not have a mount for where your trailer lights plug in. I do see the one you ordered does have that, am I just missing this on the curt? or is there a seperate bracket? I am really interested the the totally hidden look if you or anyone else can help?
Thanks alot!
Old 08-26-10, 08:56 PM
hammer0008
Rookie

Anyone notice the crappy welding job on that oem hitch.

Also that hole in the hitch pipe...is that open?

Who builds these? I just can't get myself to pay $550 plus tax here at a lexus dealer in Toronto for this.

Last edited by hammer0008; 08-26-10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-30-10, 05:18 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

lojak-factory hitch, got it from local lexus dealer. There are 2 hitch options for the GX. See the other thread for the integral hitch, im sure thats what your seeing. It doesnt hang low and is nice and hidden. But it also doesnt have the towing capacity of this version. I would buy what suits your towing needs. I cant speak to the curt hitch and how it relocated the wiring, I think there is good info on that around here somewhere though.

see here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ral-hitch.html

hammer-welds? on a piece that will be filthy in a matter of months anyway. Sorry not concerned about pretty-ness in my hitch purchase. I think the hole is open, not sure if thats better or worse. I had old tubular bumpers on an old pickup of mine and they had plastic covers over the holes. They retained water and rusted inside out...so beats me which is better. They were OE toyota accessory bumpers too.

And agree price is steep....
Old 08-07-14, 08:27 AM
rentschl
Driver School Candidate

Default Club Lexus Pricing?

Originally Posted by redrocks
Too bad you didn't sign up as a Member. CL member can get the Class IV hitch for about $238 + shipping.
Hi,

How might I go about getting Club Lexus pricing?

Regards,
Eric
Old 08-07-14, 08:36 AM
rentschl
Driver School Candidate

It looks like that in order to have a complete factory setup, you also need to get the electrical connector that is shown below as part number 82169:
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ssembly=788648

Did others that upgraded to a hitch get that part or go aftermarket?

Quick Reply: 6500lb Tow Hitch Installation and Pix