GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Burnt Accessory Switch Bulbs

Old 07-10-10, 10:14 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Burnt Accessory Switch Bulbs

Good Evening All,

I bought a 2004 GX470 on Friday and am trying to get it to 100%. The last thing I need to do is replace some of the burnt out bulbs. The following bulbs are burnt out;

1) Three of the four driver side window switches.
2) Driver seat heater switch
3) Diff. Lock (next to the seat heater)

For clarification, all of the switches work, they just don't light up. Other than that, and a small crack starting on the dash (oh boy), I'm good to go. Can anyone offer some direction on finding replacement bulbs? I'm sure it would be cheaper to do myself, but if I'm wrong, please correct me.

Thank you,
Cliff
Old 07-12-10, 04:20 PM
bpaine2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you remove the plastic trim around the heater switches? I also need to replace some bulbs in there.

I have two accessory bulbs out - the passenger heater switch and the Diff. Lock switch.
Old 07-14-10, 07:16 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

cdew002 i think these may be the ones you're looking for. i may be wrong.....then again none of the window switches in my '06 gx470 light up so i may be replacing all the bulbs with white leds to match the rest of the LEDs in my vehicle.

after checking @ i realized they could be T5 neo wedge like the ones i linked to above or T3 neo wedge bulbs.

Last edited by LZMF1; 07-14-10 at 09:59 AM. Reason: could be T5 or T3
Old 07-16-10, 07:41 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bpaine2
How do you remove the plastic trim around the heater switches? I also need to replace some bulbs in there.

I have two accessory bulbs out - the passenger heater switch and the Diff. Lock switch.
click here the first 2 pics show you how to remove the plastic covers to gain access. i think there is only one screw holding the piece down.

here's a couple of pics. don't mind the mess in my vehicle.

Last edited by LZMF1; 07-16-10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-16-10, 03:18 PM
bpaine2
Driver School Candidate

LZMF1-

Thanks, but the lock pick post doesn't show how to remove the switch panel. I had all of those trim pieces off when I installed my sat radio but it wasn't clear how to get the panel out with the heated seat switches, there are no bolts. It looks like the wood trim around the 4wd shifter has to come out, and I'm guessing that it is installed with compression clips, but i didn't want to break anything. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 07-16-10, 08:24 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

hmmmm...now you got me curious....if i have time this weekend i will remove mine and take pics as i go along. with any luck i'll have an answer with pics by sunday.

my guess is that you are correct about the piece being held in by compression clips but i'll make sure sometime this weekend.

Last edited by LZMF1; 07-16-10 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 06:59 AM
bpaine2
Driver School Candidate

I would really appreciate if you could help by figuring this out. I have done a ton of searching, and cant find this information anywhere.

The beginning of the process probably follows the lockpick installation - remove the black side trim, remove the wood trim around the nav, remove the ashtray/outlet. After that, I think you either pop off the wood trim around the 4wd shifter, or you take the whole center console section off as shown in the attached pic i found on ebay. Finally, the accessory switch panel should either pop out or will be held in by bolts. It's a lot of work, but it annoys me to have these lights not working.
Attached Thumbnails Burnt Accessory Switch Bulbs-gx470-center-console.jpg  
Old 07-17-10, 08:34 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

wow dude!!! you're way ahead of me!!!! you have the piece out entirely.....like i said from what i can see there is one screw securing it in place and as you estimated there has to be a few compression clips holding it in. i still have yet to mess with mine but i think it'd be safe to try prying the piece out with a flathead screwdriver.....if it doesn't pop out you're back to square one....no harm, no foul. just be careful doing it. pry gently!!

also...what does the underside look like? are the bottoms of the heater switches exposed? if they are you'll find a few philips head screws holdind the assembly together. if this is the case remove the screws to gain access to the bulbs. given the application my guess is that it is indeed a neo wedge but the catch is what size?

what cracks me up is that the lighted switches that are out for you work fine in my GX but the lights in the switches for the windows are out in all four of my doors and that really annoys the hell out of me!!!!!!!

snap a pic and post it.....i may be able to walk you through it without having to tear my center console apart.

Last edited by LZMF1; 07-17-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-18-10, 06:01 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

ok, thanks to @man777 i think i may have found your answer without me actually taking anything apart! man777 posted this link and many others like it in other threads.
Old 07-18-10, 07:07 AM
bpaine2
Driver School Candidate

I don't have my console out, that picture is from an ebay listing that I thought might help. Thanks for posting the link to Sewell's website.

Please post your results when you pull your console apart.
Old 07-19-10, 09:36 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

This should point you in the right direction if you haven't done so already. Darrel

Click below:
INSTRUMENT PANEL: INSTRUMENT PANEL SAFETY PAD: REMOVAL (2006 GX470)
Old 07-19-10, 10:03 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

The differential lock and the seat heater switch bulbs are the same...

Old 07-19-10, 11:52 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

well you saved me the trouble of taking mine apart just so i could answer bpaine2's question. thank you!
Old 08-01-10, 06:29 AM
Hman
Driver School Candidate

My drivers side heated seat light is out but switch is operable. Dealership told me I need a whole new switch $250. I refuse to pay that just for a friggin light. I will drive with it dark.
Old 08-02-10, 01:28 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Just about every bulb is replaceable (unless they are soldered onto a board which complicates things), either through the dealer or radio Shack. I need to replace a few myself one of these days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burnt Accessory Switch Bulbs