GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Seized Front Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 08:12 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in this club too - replaced both my front calipers at around 60K. One was seized and the other was on it's way out. My warranty (aftermarket) only covered the one, so I paid out of pocket for the other.

Just one more item on the list of things with this truck that have left me less than impressed with the quality Lexus is supposed to be known for.....
Old 05-28-10, 05:03 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What after-market caliper?

I am sometimes amazed at what issues the GX470 develops, especially problems after some years of production run. The GX is probably no different than any other Lexus/Toyota product but the GX is the one I watch and own.

I guess I need to be ready to replace the front calipers. At least this is a DIY project. What are the recommended replacement calipers? Anyone has a suggestion. Thank goodness they are available items. I am waiting for my shocks to fade out. That is going to be a big cost. Anyway, caliper suggestions? Thanks, Al
Old 05-29-10, 08:50 AM
MWR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
I guess its not the best advise, but worth of try call the 1800 lexus and tell them its very common problem and you already replaced one side and second side went bad right after the warranty. Who knows may be they will make exception.
The good news, if there's any, is that I put in a call to the dealership Service Manager and they have agreed to help me out so that I will only pay 15% of the total costs. The rest will be split between the dealership and Toyota. My appointment to get the new one is mext week, so will post and let you know if all goes as promised.
Old 05-31-10, 09:36 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really glad that Lexus decided to help you. I lost my keys once. For the first key I had to pay $300 at local locksmith. For the second key I called Lexus and told them I am loyal Lexus owner and I ask them if they be able to help, and they did. They paid for the second key.
Old 06-01-10, 06:15 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seem like we should be able to rebuild them with all new rubber parts?
It is not the most fun job but I have done it before. Well a long time ago.
Old 06-12-10, 07:07 AM
MWR
Driver School Candidate

Well, the new caliper was installed and the car seems to work fine. As promised, I paid just 15% of the overall costs. The dealer ate 15% and Lexus paid the rest. In total I paid $150.

I still think this is the type of problem a Lexus shouldn't have, given how pampered a life this truck has had, but at least it was cheap.
Old 03-02-12, 04:24 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While the Toyota dealer was replacing rotors and pads along with the necessary the fit/shim kits at all four corners (OEM parts), they found that both the front calipers seized. I have 85K miles on my 2007 now.

These calipers get so rusted over time! I didn't notice any symptoms so make sure you guys get them checked out before it gets too costly. I didn't mind so much since I wanted a clean start on my brakes anyways.

Brake parts cost $600 + $300 (reman OEM calipers) + $200 labor = $1100 completely new brakes.
Old 05-07-13, 09:41 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Now that the weather is nice enough to drive with the windows down, it sounds like I may have a caliper or 2 that is starting to drag. This could explain my 13mpg average fuel economy I've been suffering, lol. I'll have to investigate this further and see exactly what I'm dealing with...
Old 05-08-13, 07:07 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

I had a friend pilot the truck in a parking lot so I could walk along side it and listen to which corner my issue was, and it's the passenger rear that's dragging. I thought the frozen caliper issues with these trucks were the front ones, so that was unexpected. Not sure when I'll get a chance to dig into this further, hopefully once fixed my fuel economy will improve a bit.
Old 05-08-13, 09:25 AM
Cooterk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized Caliper

I have 90k on my 06' and I just did the front brakes at my buddies garage. He does a ton of work on Toyota's and had some good tips. On both my calipers, technically one of the pistons was frozen. It took a lot of force to get one on both sides back in. His buddy at Toyota confirmed that if you can get the piston back in - even if you have to force it, it will be fine. By force, it was just the intial force of getting it moved, once it got over the lip, it went right back into the caliper. He mentioned that if I was a normal customer, he would have sold me two new calipers since it was additional work to get that one piston back in. Did new rotors as well since it was the second set of pads on those rotors. I would recommend trying to unseize it first - then going the new caliper route.
Old 05-10-13, 04:39 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Looks like it's just time to change the rear brakes, sound was my screetch bar on the rear pads.
Old 05-11-13, 08:48 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good deal!
Old 05-13-13, 06:04 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MWR
I still think this is the type of problem a Lexus shouldn't have, given how pampered a life this truck has had, but at least it was cheap.
Just a thought: As long as Lexus persists in "borrowing" parts from Toyota parts bins, us owners of Lexus vehicles that contain those same Toyota parts can expect/anticipate the same failure rates as Toyota owners. Such is life.
Old 08-06-13, 09:25 AM
Camden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 2004 GX was at the Dealer for the 130,000 mile check up. Dealer said the front left caliper was seizing and that we should replace the front right as well. Quoted over $800 which was high IMO. We called around and sure enough received quotes in the $400 and $500 dollar range for the exact same work. SMH.
Old 08-06-13, 09:42 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Camden
Our 2004 GX was at the Dealer for the 130,000 mile check up. Dealer said the front left caliper was seizing and that we should replace the front right as well. Quoted over $800 which was high IMO. We called around and sure enough received quotes in the $400 and $500 dollar range for the exact same work. SMH.
Were the $400 - $500 quotes from Toyota dealers? Or local auto service shops? Using OEM parts?

Quick Reply: Seized Front Brake Calipers