GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Which Fuel additive do you use

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 05:50 AM
GXBaron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Fuel additive do you use

Hey guys,

I am approaching 100K in my 04 GX and so far its as smooth as the first day I bought it, and I want to keep it that way.

What are you guys using to keep your engines running like the day you brought it home. (STP, Sea Foam, FP60....)
Old 04-27-10, 06:13 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I used Techron recently since I have 55k mi on my GX. Two bottles, two tank fulls of gas should have been enough to mitigate any deposits in the combustion chamber and or injectors. First time using a fuel additive in my GX since I bought it new. According to the trip computer I noticed a slight improvement in city mpg's, but I need to run the numbers manually to be sure.

Personally I would not use SeaFoam since I typically fill up with ethanol fuel and SeaFoam is water soluable or in other words it absorbs water just like ethanol.
Old 04-27-10, 07:41 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

I use FP60 on all my cars.
Old 04-27-10, 08:15 AM
hammer0008
Rookie

I use nothing and my 15 year old es300 still smooth as butter.
Old 04-27-10, 11:31 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't use any fuel additive and never have, but was curious if people who do use it can share more results of what they see when they use fuel additive. The one comment above about a possible increase in MPG is interesting. Any other positives?

Turby
Old 04-27-10, 08:44 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

It is all in ones mind, My opinion is if you use a good grade of gas and a good grade of motor oil with regular oil and filter changes, you don't need any additives at all.
Old 05-13-10, 08:10 PM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Mann777. By the way I see that my GX is a gas guzzler. I haven't stat down to run the number close though.
I only use super. the other day it cost me like 57 to fill up from Exxon.

Should I use BP or Exxon gas fellas ?

thanks
rbx10
Old 05-14-10, 12:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I've had many injectors pulled that were not running in optimal condition, and they're from cars that's been using Teir 1 fuel from the start. There will be buildups and the additives in fuel are not enough to completely prevent deposits from forming.

My car (1UZFE engine) has only seen Chevron fuel all its life and when I ran a test on my car, the fuel injectors were clogged enough that during the injector cleaning stage, I had to turn up the air compressor another 3 psi in order to compensate for the better injector flow.

No car is immune from deposit, even Toyotas.
Old 05-14-10, 03:19 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i now use Lucas fuel additive....gave me an extra 3 mpg on my touareg.
Old 05-14-10, 06:10 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by GSteg
I've had many injectors pulled that were not running in optimal condition, and they're from cars that's been using Teir 1 fuel from the start. There will be buildups and the additives in fuel are not enough to completely prevent deposits from forming.

No car is immune from deposit, even Toyotas.
Yup, that's right, anyone would be naive to think otherwise. Byproducts (deposits) from the combustion process are to be expected and it occurs in all combustion engines.
Old 05-14-10, 02:49 PM
mann777

I have to disagree with your statements, My LS has clock 243000 miles and my GX 83000 miles and till date I havent used them. All I have done is preventive maintenance all the year round to both. The Gas has been premium as always,They still are in excellent shape and condition. ( Knock on wood ) No knocks on cylinder or any lack in pressure build up of slow acceleration.
Old 05-14-10, 07:17 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by mann777
I have to disagree with your statements, My LS has clock 243000 miles and my GX 83000 miles and till date I havent used them. All I have done is preventive maintenance all the year round to both. The Gas has been premium as always,They still are in excellent shape and condition. ( Knock on wood ) No knocks on cylinder or any lack in pressure build up of slow acceleration.
What do you disagree with? Are you suggesting that your engines are the first to not develop combustion deposits? Are you still on the original spark plugs with 243k mi on the clock?
Old 05-14-10, 07:58 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

what theyre saying is they are using TECHNOLOGY to test there injectors after miles and seeing buildup and as stated it is and always will be buildup because its a part of the process. yes some gases are worse than others but they all leave buildup
Old 05-16-10, 10:38 AM
mann777

Originally Posted by cssnms
What do you disagree with? Are you suggesting that your engines are the first to not develop combustion deposits? Are you still on the original spark plugs with 243k mi on the clock?
what I meant was I have never used any external aids of using additives such as Fuel Injection cleaners or other by products to enhance the performance, And plugs changed at the intervals as per the sked, But when did strip my LS400 at (200,000) to the bone and assembled back, during the stripping did find minor sludge deposits on the transmission side and a bit on the heads but never it has slacked the perfomance of the car. ,
Old 05-16-10, 11:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The difference in performance is very minor for a well built engine, but there will be deposits regardless. Of course, it's not mandatory to use fuel injector cleaners. You can get away with not ever having to use it, just like how most people never flush out their brake fluid or engine coolant, but that doesn't mean it's working at optimal performance

In any case, I use Lucas fuel injector cleaner and Redline something something. Forgot what it's called but it's more effective than Lucas. I only use it once every while, but the Lucas is used whenever my fuel injectors start to get loud.

Quick Reply: Which Fuel additive do you use