GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear suspension too stiff!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 08:24 AM
hammer0008
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Where's the sensor arm? Mine has been riding too low, which I think is part of the problem I've been having...
Old 04-27-10, 07:37 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hammer0008
hey hammer0008, where did you get that diagram? do you have a diagram of the stabilizer control assembly?
Old 04-27-10, 08:30 PM
hammer0008
Rookie

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
hey hammer0008, where did you get that diagram? do you have a diagram of the stabilizer control assembly?
From Toyota factory manual for 2007 4runner with air suspension. Probably do but need the correct name...could it be under a different name?
Old 04-27-10, 11:07 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had the drive shaft replaced and the comfort ride is the same with smoother braking. You should take it back.

The height can be adjusted by moving/adjusting the sensor arm up for up and down for down.
I did take it back and they said it was "within spec". I love it when they say that

I need to get in and fiddle w/it myself. Is there a height sensor per side, or only one?
Old 04-28-10, 09:32 AM
Finkler
Driver School Candidate

I’ve had the stiff rear shock problem with my wife’s 06 GX470. I took it to the dealer over a year ago (while it was under warranty) and they said everything was fine. Today, I took it in for services and had the same dealer check the rear shocks and was told they are “leaky” and need to be replaced. $1700 out of pocket. I’m planning to raise hell, about them telling me all was good and now that the car is off of warranty, there’s a problem…
Old 05-01-10, 12:06 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I did take it back and they said it was "within spec". I love it when they say that

I need to get in and fiddle w/it myself. Is there a height sensor per side, or only one?
Update: My truck had been riding roughly (in the rear) ever since the clunk TSB work was done. It was also riding much higher in the rear.

Today I finally got under the rear of the truck and fiddled w/the height sensors. In simple terms, you take a 12mm wrench, loosen the nut on the lower-end of the arm, and slide the nut *down* in the adjustment slot (to lower).

At first, I slid it all the way down to see what would happen. It lowered the truck way down. Too far, to the point where it couldn't get into "low" mode because it was on the bump stops.

I got back under and slid it to the point where you could just barely see the slot peek out from next to the nut.

Result: lowered the truck 1" in the rear, and it rides much much better.
Old 05-01-10, 07:20 PM
hammer0008
Rookie

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Update: My truck had been riding roughly (in the rear) ever since the clunk TSB work was done. It was also riding much higher in the rear.

Today I finally got under the rear of the truck and fiddled w/the height sensors. In simple terms, you take a 12mm wrench, loosen the nut on the lower-end of the arm, and slide the nut *down* in the adjustment slot (to lower).

At first, I slid it all the way down to see what would happen. It lowered the truck way down. Too far, to the point where it couldn't get into "low" mode because it was on the bump stops.

I got back under and slid it to the point where you could just barely see the slot peek out from next to the nut.

Result: lowered the truck 1" in the rear, and it rides much much better.

Good to hear that you fixed this. DId you do it the same way on both sides? Noticed that mine were at different slot heights (the left being higher than the right side) but the truck is level. Can you tell us how the ride is better?
Old 05-02-10, 09:28 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Good to hear that you fixed this. DId you do it the same way on both sides? Noticed that mine were at different slot heights (the left being higher than the right side) but the truck is level. Can you tell us how the ride is better?
there appear to be two variables: 1) the height of the nut in the slot, 2) the length of the arm, which can be adjusted as well. The arm length looks a bit trickier to adjust, though the adjustments are "finer". I went the easy route.

I forgot whether you were trying to raise or lower, but you might try evening them "up" or "down"to see what happens. Also try measuring hte lengths of your two rods. Mine were equal at just a hair over 4".

The rear of mine was jacked way up after the dealer did the clunk job. The smoother ride makes sense to me simply because the airbags aren't inflated nearly as much @ the current height. What I attempted to do was lower it to the point where it felt like I was *just* staying off of the "bump stops" in normal driving.

When I'm in "L", I can just fit my pinkie between the bumpstop and the axle.

FWIW, I have 18" 4runner rims, and went from 12" to 11" from the rim "bead" to the edge of the wheel-well.

Drives great, and the headlights are now aimed right again. I may tweak it slightly higher if I find I'm on the bumpstops more than I'd like.