GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

1st Push button start anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 12:09 PM
ARK07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Push button start anyone???

As my wife's car has keyless entry & push button start, i'm really getting to like it and thought I'd look around to see if there is a push button start kit/conversion for the GX. From what I've seen there's not a lot of options and the system from Star-drive seems to be the best or only system out there, to give auto unlocking doors & push button start. As they have no specific made for model kits its may take a bit of re-wiring to fully integrate this into the GX's security & starting circuitry. Any elect guru out there, with elect schematics willing to work up a wiring diagram for some one to be the first test model?? Sure beats the price of buying a new 2010!! There is a wiring diagram on there web site if any one is interested. I'm not sure if I managed to get the links correctly pasted other wise, you can look it up at auto-hub.com

http://auto-hub.com/stardrive_push_start_ignition.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9d2...ayer_embedded#
Old 03-31-10, 11:05 AM
ARK07
Driver School Candidate

Default Anybody??

OK' as no one else seems to intrested in making the leap, is there anyone who might be intrested in this that has electrical schematics (just need starting & security sections) so I can start to work on integration to the GX?? (this could be a CL collective group project) I assume we'll need to use a black box type device to defeat the chipped key, much like the remote starters use. My son has a friend who installs remote starters and security systems that I was going to approach as soon as I have some possible wiring senarios and get his professional opinion.

Anybody???
Old 03-31-10, 11:31 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I think it's way too much work. My 2010 GX 460 has it and so does my LS 460. I would just live without it, or think about trading for the new GX.
Old 03-31-10, 11:43 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I think it is a helluva job if you accomplish it. If you need the wiring manuals goto https://techinfo.toyota.com. It would cost only 10/- bucks to download and it is only for the day. Best of luck
Old 03-31-10, 06:54 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, but frankly not worth my time just for the convenience. If the conversion were easier, maybe.. but this appears to be uncharted territory for the most part.

Turby
Old 03-31-10, 08:11 PM
ARK07
Driver School Candidate

I don't believe this should be much more complex than a remote start or after-market security which tie into the same factory starting and circuits. The transponder that you carry continues to send out a RF signal (lets call this a radio signal), the car has a reciever which picks up the signal, as soon as it receives the signal it turns off the security circuit and automatically unlocks the doors, this should be an out put that would be tied to the normal door unlock circuit, as soon as the signal is strong enough, when your in the car, the receiver sends another output, presumably this would need to go to a diifferent black box that defeats the key chip, this black box is the same that many new cars require for any remote start, although the GX may not require this (some one who has remote start might know this) Once the ignition is ready you press the start button vs turning the key. As you know when you turn the key on the GX this only sends a signal for a starting squence compared to older cars that the key circuit was virtually acting as manual contact relay that you held till it started. When leaving the car it reverses the sequence. This is only my guess of the circuitry and basic electrical logic as I don't have electrical schematics, yet. I'm not necessarly going to install this my self but want to understand exactly how it should wired and be define the integration of it. Certainly $419.00 is alot of money but it would still quite a bit cheaper than a new GX, for a option I just happen to like.
Old 04-01-10, 10:33 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

You missed the part where the transponder signals are linked to the Engine Immobiliser System ECU & the tranponder Key ECU & the Anti theft deterrent system. And with the above solution you have quoted " Blackbox" I think this would not be compatible as the signal coded on the GX's ECU's would not be able to read the Black box codes as the codes are done a different platform. Now my question is how are GX ECU codes going to get copied to the Blackbox platform and have them synchronised.
Old 04-01-10, 07:12 PM
ARK07
Driver School Candidate

Well, with out actually having installed a remote, I'm just winging it, but it looks like the below black box I found on the internet is the item I was referring to and how exactly it works.:

1100X Toyota/Lexus Remote Start Interface Data Module

The 1100X interface module is used when installing remote start products in Toyota/Lexus vehicles equipped with a
factory immobilizer. The 1100X allows for easy interfacing between the remote start and the factory immobilizer, while
maintaining the integrity of the OEM system. The factory transponder-based anti-theft system uses a small electronic chip
hidden in the key to send a code to the vehicle’s transceiver when the ignition is energized. The key must be placed in the
ignition and turned to the RUN position. This energizes a coil surrounding the key, which in turn energizes the chip, which
sends a code to the vehicle. If the vehicle does not detect the code being sent, the vehicle will start and then immediately
shut off or will just crank, and the antitheft light will fl ash. The 1100X provides a valid code to the vehicle whenever it is
remote started, but does not affect the immobilizer system during normal vehicle operation; the immobilizer system
remains fully functional.

FEATURES:
*Works with any aftermarket keyless entry
system
*Compatible with the factory antitheft system
*Maintains the integrity of the factory anti-theft
system
*High security single-wire data transfer
*Compact design, easy to mount
*Simple programming
*No key required for operation
*Covers wide range of Toyota made
vehicles from 1998 to 2006
*Upgradeable via a PC using the DirectLink
updater cable.

NOTES:
Factory key required for programming

Now this I believe is a older system and you don't need to use a key anymore and the new black boxes just mimick the key code For reference here's the link to the supplier of this black box: http://www.drdetailshop.com/1100X.htm

This black box does cost $78.00, so the grand total so far is $498.00, but still less than a new GX.