GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Data Point - 04 Radiator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 11:43 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Data Point - 04 Radiator Replacement

04 GX470 with 94K miles.

Minor red fluid leak coming from bottom of radiator on driver's side.

Local Toyota dealer diagnosed and replaced in about 5 hours all told.

Aftermarket radiator (no idea of brand), $520 out the door.

I asked about possibility of repair - they said "can't be done" because the leak was on the side of the unit. Asked about OEM replacement and they said $600-$700 just for radiator (aftermarket was just under $300).

No more leak, $500 poorer. Happy enough. The end.
Old 02-16-10, 03:06 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a great price!

My story is below.

I thought I would add to this tread since I just also replaced my radiator. I have read that there is a higher number than normal radiators that are prone to leaking from 2003-2006 in V8 Lexus/Toyota platforms.

I got my 2005 GX 3 weeks ago and have been busy base lining all the fluids and filters when I came across a small leak around the lower driver side. This was missed by the Lexus inspector! Small drops of antifreeze were on the sway bars and it was crusted on the lower part of the radiator. Apparently this is a common area of failure.

Replacement radiator from Lexus $800, parts alone. The first after market one I got was from AutoZone, made in India for $269. It was a POS! Fins were not evenly places and the core was ¼ inch thinner than OEM (that’s a lot of surface area lost).

I got a tip from my Toyota parts guys who called
https://www.1800radiator.com/
They got me a Koyorad radiator. Made by Koyo in Japan. I know Koyo products mainly from replacing the bearing on my Landcruiser. Toyota uses Koyo bearing for there OEM parts. Paid $294 and it was absolutely flawless. An exact match to the OEM in every way. What a difference and only $25 more with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.koyorad.com/

The only thing I can add to Mann’s excellent write up is that I bought a special spring hose clamp pliers form NAPA ($26). Since that lower hose is a b****! And it made the job much easier. Right tool for the job (words to live by)!

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...e+Clamp+Pliers

While I was doing the radiator I also replaced the main upper and lower hoses, thermostat and gasket. Total cost with Toyota lifetime antifreeze was about $400.

All is good now
Old 02-17-10, 12:15 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What??? No talk of a class action lawsuit?

Good info.
Old 02-17-10, 04:01 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Pretty clear the radiator is a weak point in these vehicles (at least the early year GX's). Dealer said my hoses were fine and didn't need replacement. I took that to mean they didn't have any on the shelf.

I'll have to check and see what brand radiator they installed. Only problem is the rad is buried under a lot of plastic, so that may never happen.

I must say I really like my Toyota dealer. They checked my diff and transfer case oils the other visit at no charge. Flushed the steering fluid at a previous visit for $69. Lube of the drive chain is included in the oil change charge (and I watched them actually lube from front to back!). I used to do all my own maintenance, but can't justify it anymore with two small ones at home. Plus I can't argue with thier prices at all. Watched the winter olympics, drank french roast and checked out the new 4runner in the two hours I ended up hanging around there for the rad replacement - almost enjoyable. Thanked the service manager for the $500 carwash and got a laugh. LEED certified building to boot!
Old 02-17-10, 04:11 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
I must say I really like my Toyota dealer. They checked my diff and transfer case oils the other visit at no charge. Flushed the steering fluid at a previous visit for $69. Lube of the drive chain is included in the oil change charge (and I watched them actually lube from front to back!). I used to do all my own maintenance, but can't justify it anymore with two small ones at home. Plus I can't argue with thier prices at all. Watched the winter olympics, drank french roast and checked out the new 4runner in the two hours I ended up hanging around there for the rad replacement - almost enjoyable. Thanked the service manager for the $500 carwash and got a laugh. LEED certified building to boot!
From what I know, some Toyota dealers match the good Lexus dealers in service and treatment of the customer, and do it for less. There are definitely some excellent ones out there.
Old 02-24-10, 08:44 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

I have 2004 GX too, and I had to replace my radiator too. Like Jditom said I called 1800radiator. I been using them since 2000. If you have resale license they will give you 10-20% discount. As far as labor, you dont have to put you GX on the jack you can do it from underneath.
Good luck
Old 02-28-10, 04:19 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently had to replace ours as well