GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Ideas on Selling my OEM wheels and X ICE Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 09:49 PM
CWK
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ideas on Selling my OEM wheels and X ICE Tires

I no longer have my GX 470 as I traded it in on a 2008 Landcruiser. I have a set of OEM wheels with Michelin X-ICE tires. Wheels and Tires have roughly 10k miles of use more than likely less. Both are in perfect condition. Set of 4. What I don't understand is why so little interest in the classifieds section.

Any tips on where I should be selling this package and also if my pricing is off. I will sell just the wheels if someone would prefer.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Old 02-13-10, 06:56 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Pictures say a thousand words.
Old 02-13-10, 08:50 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree our classified section is under used.

I have sold several sets on Craigs list.

What are you asking?
Do they have TMPS?
Old 02-13-10, 09:02 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Post some pictures at least!

Where were you four months ago? I would have possibly been a buyer here in Seattle for the wheels and maybe the tires. I bought my wheels online and new studded tires prior to the season.

I buy a lot of stuff online. Post pictures of all four wheels to show the condition, measure and give that tire depth using a 32nds measurement. For example 8/32s. Give the original thread depth for comparison. You have 10,000 miles on a snow tire. Some 10,000 mile tires are fairly well worn. You need to convey the life left. Snow tires usefulness and value does not track directly to thread life left. It is a rapidly declining value with miles. At $375 you are on paper may be fair but you need to sell that price. Remember on tires you are selling to a group that has the affluence to buy new. You price has to be a bargain.

As you know Washington has had a “no snow year” and that was the forecast way before the snow season. You’re selling into a diminished demand zone. Hold till next year and start in November is possibly your best option unless you are willing to ship to a demand area.

Create a good ad and find a market where there is demand. EBay works due to the number of buyers, saved searches, and people looking for a buy. Tires and wheels have shipping cost issues.

Right now there are a lot of wheels available compared to months ago. GX470s first generation are being wrecked and as well as being parted out due to age. Supply is greater and of course the new 4runner and 2nd generation are creating new bling, buying options and more products available. You’re not only are facing demand issues but an expanded supply chain. Arbitrage is the best option now if you want to get rid of them now. Advertise in the east and get ready to ship. The issue here is you have Christmas trees on Christmas Eve to sell.

I would put an ad in Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, and Spokane Craigslist and see what happens. Canada has Game on-not much snow though. You only need one buyer and all the worries of supply and demand are gone.

Finally get across these wheels and tires are safe to use and good to go. Attest to their safety. (I assume they are uncut, undamaged and are the ticket to Nirvana). Your word still have value and sincerity is still a virtue. You need a better ad and some demand
Old 02-13-10, 01:07 PM
CWK
Rookie

As recommended here are some pics of the package. The tires may have less than 10k on them. I simply put them on for a few months over 2 winters. Did not keep track of miles. I only know it is under 10k for absolute sure. They show very little wear. Honestly I can keep the tires since I still have my 2004 4 runner and the tires are same size. Not a big deal. The wheels are what I have no use for. I would be more than happy to sell just the wheels. The wheels are in pristine condition.

$450 for the set of 4 wheels.

$675 with the Michelin X-Ice Tires.
Attached Thumbnails Ideas on Selling my OEM wheels and X ICE Tires-gx470-tires-006-320x200-.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 02-13-10, 01:44 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Where are you in WA?
Old 02-13-10, 05:10 PM
CWK
Rookie

20 minutes North of Seattle.
Old 02-14-10, 07:39 AM
studlee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need new tires....how bad is it to drive with winter tires during the summer?
Old 02-14-10, 09:32 AM
jditom
Pole Position

They are designed to stay soft in very cold weather.
They would be to soft in the summer. Not handle as well and wear out fast.
Old 02-16-10, 06:19 PM
CWK
Rookie

Had a PM about tread depth.

Stopped by Schwab this evening and they measure 9/32. Spec New is 12/32.

The tire guy was pretty complimentary on the snow capabilites of this style tire and they don't even have them to offer. I guess Toyo has something comparable.
Old 02-16-10, 07:21 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CWK
Had a PM about tread depth.

Stopped by Schwab this evening and they measure 9/32. Spec New is 12/32.

The tire guy was pretty complimentary on the snow capabilites of this style tire and they don't even have them to offer. I guess Toyo has something comparable.
Decent price for local pick-up but if you have to ship them the price would be too steep with appx. $100 shipping charge added to the price(I shipped 4 wheels/tires 500 miles away for $100). Most of the GX wheels for sale have the famous paint flaking issues(that Lexus won't acknowledge). Yours seem mint. Good Luck
Old 02-17-10, 12:06 PM
jditom
Pole Position

I am going to have to pass but this is a great deal for a second set of winter wheels and tires.
Old 02-17-10, 12:09 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CWK
Michelin X-Ice are outstanding snow tires, but they aren't terribly well known in the U.S. because Michelin has very limited snow tire manufacturing capacity in the U.S. (not even sure they have any mfg. here -- all of them may be imported from Europe). Most retailers/tire dealers can't even get the X-Ice, so they promote other brands instead.
Old 02-17-10, 09:45 PM
CWK
Rookie

Thanks guys. If a interested buyer comes along that is great but otherwise I will keep them and use them next winter. The Landcruiser could use them or the 4runner I have as well. I would prefer to sell but we will see what happens.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-10, 10:45 PM
CWK
Rookie

SOLD

A GX owner from Spokane called today off the Craigslist ad and was in the area so we got him squared away. Nice guy and a sharp looking GX. Will be used as a 2nd set.