GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Child Seat Fitment (for second-row seat)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 04:37 PM
jinnjia
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Child Seat Fitment (for second-row seat)

For those who have child seats, can you please provide the kind of seat (model/brand) you have and how do they fit behind the driver seat (not passenger seat), and how tall you are (and if you are comfortable), trouble with rear facing position ?

I am looking at the Britax seats, but afraid they might be too big, what if I were to use the latch in the middle (well, not exactly middle.....), will the driver seat still be able to lean back far enough ?

I am about 6' and need a little bit of leg room in the front.

Thank you for sharing your experience !
Old 02-13-10, 11:34 AM
Raid05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a Britax and am also 6', had to put it on the passenger side, would cut the kid's legs off otherwise. Fortunately the wife is only 5' so there is enough room. It is a little bit of a reach for the wife when she is driving but otherwise ok.

As far as rear-facing goes, we had the Graco SnugRide until she out grew it, then switched to the Britax and had that rear facing for awhile, but that was in the Tahoe, little more room in there.

No, I'm not a car seat expert, but my wife will talk your ear off about it My poor daughter is going to be in that seat forever, she will be 5 next month and only weighs 35 lbs, wife swears she will be in it until she hits 80 lbs.
Old 02-13-10, 11:37 AM
Raid05
Driver School Candidate

BTW, couldn't figure a way to do LATCH in the "middle" that I felt was secure enough.

Nice feature of the GX is the adjustable backrest angle of the rear seats, made getting the seat in and comfortable for my daughter easier.
Old 02-13-10, 01:16 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My one year old son rides in a Britax forward facing seat behind the driver's seat. That latch system is slightly offset towards the middle rather than squarely behind the driver. There's plenty of room behind the driver's seat, since my wife and I aren't anywhere near 6'! It's a great car seat and great fit.
Old 02-24-10, 09:04 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Britax Boulevard (not sure how you spell it) I am 5.9 car seat is facing forward, because my son is almost 2 years. It has two straps on each side. The best place is in the middle, because it has two latches. Britax straps are adjustable. When you place your car seat in the middle there is plenty of space on each side. Its very easy to get him in and out. And my son loves it.
Old 02-24-10, 10:59 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
I have Britax Boulevard (not sure how you spell it) I am 5.9 car seat is facing forward, because my son is almost 2 years. It has two straps on each side. The best place is in the middle, because it has two latches. Britax straps are adjustable. When you place your car seat in the middle there is plenty of space on each side. Its very easy to get him in and out. And my son loves it.
How are you putting the seat in the middle? If I recall correctly, there are two latch positions in the GX:
1) passenger side, right behind the seat
2) driver's side, but offset towards the center a bit

I don't think there are latch anchors engineered to work w/the center position. Latch is engineered to work with a very specific "spread" between the anchors.

Scott.
Old 03-05-10, 10:13 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Yes it does. Stick your hand first and you will feel it. They exactly in the middle. Try to press on the leather and and you will see them.
Old 03-05-10, 01:11 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Yes it does. Stick your hand first and you will feel it. They exactly in the middle. Try to press on the leather and and you will see them.
Just so I understand what you're suggesting:
Assume: a "set" means two anchors spread by a specified (by the NHTSA) distance.
- there's a set of anchors on the passenger side right behind the passenger's seat
- there's a set on the driver's side, offset somewhat towards the center of the car.

are you saying that:
1) there's yet another set for a seat sitting in the center of the bench with its own unique anchors, or
2) you can use the "inside" anchors for the Passenger and Driver's side?

if #1, that's news to me and something I'll use
if #2, you should measure the distance between the anchors. IIRC it's well out of spec and shouldn't be used.
Old 03-09-10, 08:40 PM
pump142
Driver

the only way I found to securely mount my eddie bauer seat (confirmed by trained car seat install people) was center with the seat belt with anti skid material like drawer liner under it.
latch had too much slop in it
Old 03-11-10, 09:16 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Just so I understand what you're suggesting:
Assume: a "set" means two anchors spread by a specified (by the NHTSA) distance.
- there's a set of anchors on the passenger side right behind the passenger's seat
- there's a set on the driver's side, offset somewhat towards the center of the car.

are you saying that:
1) there's yet another set for a seat sitting in the center of the bench with its own unique anchors, or
2) you can use the "inside" anchors for the Passenger and Driver's side?

if #1, that's news to me and something I'll use
if #2, you should measure the distance between the anchors. IIRC it's well out of spec and shouldn't be used.
That's exactly what I am trying to say, there one latch on each side. Right in the middle. That's why we bought Britax because it has straps that clicks into the latches. Latches located where the second row arm rest is.
Old 03-11-10, 09:50 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-11-10, 09:52 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Let me if the link doesn't work
Old 03-11-10, 09:53 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Old 03-11-10, 10:55 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

linky no worky
Old 03-11-10, 11:58 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

That's exactly what I am trying to say, there one latch on each side. Right in the middle. That's why we bought Britax because it has straps that clicks into the latches. Latches located where the second row arm rest is.
Right, so we're talking about the same anchors.

If I recall correctly, the measurement between the two inner-most anchors is different (than between each outer+inner set) and not to "latch spec". Did you happen to measure?

I also have a really fuzzy recollection that the owners manual doesn't recommend placing a seat there either.

I'll pull out a tape measure and the owners manual tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Child Seat Fitment (for second-row seat)