GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Towing with the GX (cabin wiring harness needed?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 03:44 PM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Towing with the GX (cabin wiring harness needed?)

My "new to me" 2005 GX has the 6500 pound tow package. Sweet! Reading the manual, there appears to be an extra harness you need for trailer towing. It appears said harness plugs in under the dashboard only when you're towing?

Who's towed a trailer or boat with the GX and was an extra harness needed? Do you leave it plugged in always or just when towing?

I don't think I have it. Anyone know a part number?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-09, 09:35 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake controller harness

I believe you are referrng to the harness for the brake controller. If so the part number is 82132-60110. If you order a brake controller get one that includes a toyota harness and it will work. Brake controller is used to control teh electric brakes on the trailer.
Old 11-12-09, 04:30 AM
dpolen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've towed my 5000lb boat countless times and I don't have the brake controller. GX isn't too shabby for towing, except the swing open door is a PITA with the boat trailer hooked up.
Old 11-12-09, 05:58 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check by the jack in the rear storage compartment - that's where I found my brake controller wiring...

Old 11-12-09, 06:25 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

What are you towing and do you have electric brakes or tie downs?

I tow a 6000 lb boat around but I do not have electric brakes I have tie downs. I only plug my lights in using the recepticle next to the hitch for which I need the adapter/wiring harness.
Old 11-12-09, 01:04 PM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to get a UHaul trailer to move some stuff and am not sure if the brake lights work without the referenced harness. It's not too much weight but Im pretty sure that working trailer brake lights would be legally needed.

With the tow package, I have the tow plug under the back bumper. Will the brake lights work without the extra harness?

BTW, thanks for the tip about it possibly being in the jack well. I'll have to check that out after work.
Old 11-12-09, 02:08 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pgsandiego
I wanted to get a UHaul trailer to move some stuff and am not sure if the brake lights work without the referenced harness. It's not too much weight but Im pretty sure that working trailer brake lights would be legally needed.

With the tow package, I have the tow plug under the back bumper. Will the brake lights work without the extra harness?

BTW, thanks for the tip about it possibly being in the jack well. I'll have to check that out after work.
The brake lights will only work if you have the adaptor harness/connector that plugs into to your towing recepticle which should be located adjacent to your receiver. U-Haul should have them for sale. They are pretty standard, I think I picked mine up at a NAPA auto parts store. There's nothing to plug under your dash to make the tail/brake lights work. Alls you need is that adaptor harness/connector that the trailer wiring harness plugs into which you plug into your recepticle.
Old 04-12-24, 04:58 PM
Gordj
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pgsandiego
My "new to me" 2005 GX has the 6500 pound tow package. Sweet! Reading the manual, there appears to be an extra harness you need for trailer towing. It appears said harness plugs in under the dashboard only when you're towing?

Who's towed a trailer or boat with the GX and was an extra harness needed? Do you leave it plugged in always or just when towing?

I don't think I have it. Anyone know a part number?

Thanks!
I have an LX and not a GX but towing a "trailer" and a boat are completely different from each other. You have people saying that they tow big boats without a brake controller but they are not mentioning that the boat trailers usually have surge brakes and don't require a brake controller because the braking system is hydraulic and not electrically controlled. The LX comes with a "socket" that has to be installed under the rear to allow lights to the trailer and if electric brakes are required an after market brake controller has to be installed to a socket under the dash. I suspect that is the same on the GX. This controller stays connected under the dash full time.
Amazon Amazon
for instance.