GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Oil Filter Recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 03:44 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile Oil Filter Recomendation

I know the OEM is alway the best choice for the GX, but does anybody have a better one and if so which brand for the GX.
It is not I am unhappy with the OEM, But is there a brand which would be better.
Old 10-08-09, 08:40 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would have no concerns whatsoever using the Purolator Pure One. On a side note, I think Purolator makes the Toyota OES filters (but that doesn't impact my thinking about the Pure One).
Old 10-08-09, 11:12 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that its not the best but I used Bosch on my VW Passat and never had a problem before.
Old 10-08-09, 02:30 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
I know that its not the best but I used Bosch on my VW Passat and never had a problem before.
Who knows? It might be the best. IMO, 99% of the claims about oil and filters (and air filters and most everything else for that matter) are generated by the marketing department and are designed to appeal to people's emotions. They are not necessarily backed up by what has been proven to be the needs of the engine and what gets the job done. For just one example, oil filter marketers have focused their scare tactics and gee-whiz graphs on ultimate filtration capacity as if engines generate shovel-fulls of dirt that need to be filtered out during operation. What about flow rates as a result of these fine-retention filter elements, and as they clog up with filtered particles? Might this play a more important role than filtering out particles that are too small to do any damage anyway? Who knows? But it's easy to create fear or what might be a false sense of confidence and just focus on something that's easy to relate. Marketing.... Grrrrr... Oh, wait... that's what I do for a living.
Old 10-08-09, 04:22 PM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the cheapest fram I use on my Chevy pickup, to the toyota filter I use on the Lexus, or even the BMW filter we use on the BMW, no difference noticed. I just prefer to use the stuff the maker of that particular vehicle recommends. Maybe they know something I dont? The service departments use the recommended stuff anyway, if it isn't broke...

I think I6turbo hit the nail on the head, its all marketing. I think if you care for your vehicle, and change the filter as recommended, you should be fine. The rest is just a mind game the makers of filters and oil play on us to pry the money from our wallets.
Old 10-08-09, 09:56 PM
pjarvis
Rookie

I've been using K&N for years. There is a back check that helps keep oil in engine for cold starts. Plus with what they have proven with there other products and the fact that all they make are filters I feel they are best for my equipment.
Old 10-09-09, 06:48 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's an independent study I read a while ago that I just tracked down. Read this then go to the link at the end "Engine Oil Filters Overview". I put both links below.

http://people.msoe.edu/%7Eyoderw/oil...lterstudy.html

http://people.msoe.edu/%7Eyoderw/oil...ilfilters.html

Last edited by kphu; 10-09-09 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 07:39 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pjarvis
I've been using K&N for years. There is a back check that helps keep oil in engine for cold starts. Plus with what they have proven with there other products and the fact that all they make are filters I feel they are best for my equipment.
Pretty much every screw-on type oil filter has the anti-drain-back valve, so that's nothing unique to K&N. K&N air filters don't filter out fine particles very well (they don't deny this, but claim that the particles are small enough that they don't harm engines), but hopefully their oil filters are better.

I would be surprised to find that K&N actually make their own oil filters, but perhaps they do.
Old 10-09-09, 08:34 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the only way to tell which filter is better by taking filter a part. Better filter will have more layers inside and will filter better. Otherwise like I6turbo said its all has to do with marketing.
Old 10-10-09, 03:37 AM
mann777

Thks guys for your points, as IS6turbo mentioned, all a marketing gimmick...I think I would stick on with OEM ones.
Old 10-10-09, 10:00 AM
kutsyy
Driver

For Toyota, if you really want something better then OEM, get TRD one. But you need it only if you are using engine on high rev a lot.
Old 10-10-09, 11:09 AM
mann777

Vadim thks, I chkd the TRD website,,,for the GX they do have only air filters, and the oil filters aren,t mentioned. Is there a online dealer link you could lemme know .
Old 10-10-09, 11:34 AM
kutsyy
Driver

Originally Posted by mann777
Vadim thks, I chkd the TRD website,,,for the GX they do have only air filters, and the oil filters aren,t mentioned. Is there a online dealer link you could lemme know .
V8 4runner has the same engine and same oil filter
Old 10-11-09, 12:03 AM
schan1w
Driver

If you want a better oil filter, try the Toyota 90915-20004 oil filter. This one is made in Japan and is of much better quality than the made in Thailand one most Lexus/Toyota dealer's use. The 90915-20004 oil filter is the one that they install on the GX at the factory in Japan - probably because you need the best filter during break-in when all the metal shavings from a new engine need to be properly filtered.
Old 10-11-09, 01:04 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Your standard Fram and Pennzoil are the same exact filters. At times a Pennzoil box will have a Fram filter in it. Both have cheap drain valves and poor quality internals. Keep in mind that one should not NOTICE a difference in oil filters as once you you do, it is too late.

I stick with Bosch or OEM. Buy 10 at a time and shelve them

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Recomendation