GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Headlights......I hate them

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 10:58 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights......I hate them

I'm sure I can't be the only one here that hates the headlights on the GX for night time driving. Is there a fix and if so what? Where do you buy it and how much does it cost? How easy of a fix is it? This is on the list of things I need to rectify on this truck.
Old 10-06-09, 05:55 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes there is a fix. Xenon Depot. http://www.kbcarstuff.com/?referer=xd They are a CL sponser.

Many owners on here have purchased and installed these lights and love them. Do a search there are plenty of threads with photos.
Old 10-06-09, 06:45 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2 for XenonDepot HIDs

For night time functionality I would be very cautious of going w/ any kit higher than 5000k. I have the 5000k on my GX and they are fantastic in dry weather. On most rainy nights they are good but on those really dark rainy nights they can get a little lost on very dark surfaces - especially fresh asphalt.

Some people swear by having the 'blue-ist' bulbs possible for the cool factor which is fine if you live in an area where they will work. However, where I live and drive a lot (PA, WV, OH, MI) there isn't necessarily a plethora of hwy lights to help offset shortfalls in your vehicle's lighting...

YMMV
Old 10-06-09, 07:58 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,

The GX is perfect candidate for an HID kit as the vehicle has OEM halogen low beam projectors that use H11 bulbs. You can purchase an H11 HID conversion kit to upgrade the lighting on your vehicle to HID. For the brightest possible output I would suggest going with a 4300k HID kit as these bulbs are rated at the highest possible lumens.

Installing the kit on your vehicle is literally plug+play as you will not have to worry about cutting/splicing any wires.

Steve
Old 10-06-09, 08:58 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with 4300 or 5000k but not with 6000k. I purchased 6000k for headlights and foglights, its too bright. Installation is super easy. On the healights, passenger side has a lot of room, driver side is little bit harder because of the battery.
Old 10-06-09, 07:48 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Bet a low temperature

4300k or 3000K

You know I did the HID conversion. Bought the $200 set from XenonDepot. I think it is a 9 star out of 10.

I got the car (Lexus) this summer, put in Sylvania SilverStars and then in a 1000 miles bought the XenonDepot kit at 4300K. It was summer and hardly any night driving so I cannot compare to the Halogen (stock or silver star). I was going to have HIDs no matter what. Okay got them. They are OK. But to compare I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought glass headlight assemblies for. These assembleis were standard in the European Grand Cherokees (French and German) and were hard to get but I was able to get two sets. Expensive but a beautiful lens. Took an H4 bulb. These are headlights-they kick the Lexus lights with the HIDs to the side of the road.

I think the reason they are so much better is the color temperature. It may also be the old style fluted lens is superior to the projector. I don’t know. I do feel that the lower color temperature will provide better light in inclement weather. Now what amazes me is the Lexus now has 4300K. Our Audi has 4300K Phillips bulbs (stock HID setup) and the jeep has halogen 80/100W stock Hella bulbs. The Halogen really has a better color temperature for the northwest weather in my view.

Ok, so what. I would upgrade to silver stars first and see if you are happier and then to the Xenon. They are all inexpensive solutions. But, I would buy the lowest color temperature.
Old 10-06-09, 07:50 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Get a low temperature

4300k or 3000K

You know I did the HID conversion. Bought the $200 set from XenonDepot. I think it is a 9 star out of 10 on service, shipping and value.

I got the car (Lexus) this summer, put in Sylvania SilverStars and then in a 1000 miles bought the XenonDepot kit at 4300K. It was summer and hardly any night driving so I cannot compare to the Halogen (stock or silver star). I was going to have HIDs no matter what. Okay got them. They are OK. But to compare I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought glass headlight assemblies for. These assembleis were standard in the European Grand Cherokees (French and German) and were hard to get but I was able to get two sets. Expensive but a beautiful lens. Took an H4 bulb. These are headlights-they kick the Lexus lights with the HIDs to the side of the road.

I think the reason they are so much better is the color temperature. It may also be the old style fluted lens is superior to the projector. I don’t know but what a nice illuminating light. I do feel that the lower color temperature will provide better light in inclement weather. Now what amazes me is the Lexus now has 4300K. Our Audi has 4300K Phillips bulbs (stock HID setup) and the jeep has halogen 80/100W stock Hella bulbs. The Halogen really has a better color temperature for the northwest weather in my view.

Ok, so what. I would upgrade to silver stars first and see if you are happier and then to the Xenon. They are all inexpensive solutions. But, I would buy the lowest color temperature.
Old 10-06-09, 09:33 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy the 4300K kit! Simply awesome light output--I love mine. There is NO comparison between a Real HID kit and simple bulb swap--Get the HID's
Old 10-07-09, 05:32 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

If you have any questions/concerns please feel free to send me a PM.

Steve
Old 10-07-09, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Did the Silverstar and the PIAA. Just go for the HID, its in a different class of lighting. The low beam on the GX is not that good, even with HID, it still can be better, but HID is a big step up.
Old 10-07-09, 12:14 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I'm turning this thread over to my husband so he can read and know what we need to change these out. I know he hates the headlights so this will go on the Honey do list....LOL I decided to keep the truck so it worth it to us to do this. Does anyone know if this problem was addressed with the new 2010 GX?
Old 10-07-09, 02:54 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JASP615
Thanks guys, I'm turning this thread over to my husband so he can read and know what we need to change these out. I know he hates the headlights so this will go on the Honey do list....LOL I decided to keep the truck so it worth it to us to do this. Does anyone know if this problem was addressed with the new 2010 GX?
I know this suggestion isn't nearly as exciting as going HID, but have you ensured that the headlights are aimed correctly? In particular, this is important to check if you've had the "clunk" TSB performed, as it raises the rear ride height (and lowers your beams).

Worth a shot -- it's free.
Old 10-08-09, 03:34 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do yearly trips (NY to CO). The first was on stock halogen bulbs. Let's just say, that my fingernails were neatly "trimmed" after that trip. Once you hit those beautiful deep dark forests of PA at midnight with no other cars in sight, you'll know what I mean. Second trip had XenonDepot H11 4300K kit for low beams installed, better. The third, I also upgraded the fog lights to XenonDepot H3 4300K kit, and I took the time to re-aim the headlights. Now mind you, it's not perfect, but much much better (I think I would need one of those anti aircraft lights mounted to the roof to call it perfect). Highly recommend the HID kits. I'm still not sure if 3000K kit may be better for the fogs (light color yellow), I decided on the 4300K for the fogs to keep the light output/color on the road uniform, I thought it may be less distracting. Maybe for the fourth trip I'll try the 3000K for the fogs.

Also, as someone has mentioned before, 4300K has the highest light output (which means it will give you grates penetration in the dark). Higher K value indicates higher light "temperature" more towards ultraviolet, hence the 10000K lights are violet, but your light output gets reduced drastically. It also works in opposite direction, where the 3000K lights are yellow and produce less light than 4300K. Just FYI.
Old 10-08-09, 05:38 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Glad to hear you are enjoying our products =)

3000k would definitely be best from a functional standpoint. I personally have those installed in my car.

Steve
Old 10-08-09, 10:57 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Glad to hear you are enjoying our products =)

3000k would definitely be best from a functional standpoint. I personally have those installed in my car.

Steve
Steve, since you are following this, would you recommend the standard or the phillips bulbs you sell with your kits?

Quick Reply: Headlights......I hate them