GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Girl needs help - GX470 towing ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 01:12 PM
ladyboz77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girl needs help - GX470 towing ?'s

How can I find out what the tow rating is on this vehicle? I have a featherlight horse trailer that weighs just over a ton. I have a tow vehicle that I use, but we're looking to make a long trip from RI to TN to purchase a young horse and my friend who is going with me insists on taking his truck because it is more comfortable than my Silverado. Well, no kidding... I know that we will have to add a brake box to the Lexus, but I want to be sure that the Lexus is up to the job. We will be hauling the empty trailer (2100#) from RI to TN (apx 15 hrs, mostly highway) and then back up to RI with the horse (apx another 400#). The trailer is new and light and tows well and there is a good hitch installed on the Lexus and if we decide to use the Lexus, we will install a brake box for the electric brakes but I first just wanted to make sure the vehicle is rated to tow this trailer. Thanks for any opinions/input!
Old 10-03-09, 01:29 PM
jimmyford1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the factory installed hitch the GX is rated at 6500 pounds. You should have no problems.
Old 10-03-09, 06:14 PM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a closer look at the hitch on the GX. It will list the hitch max towing capacity.
Old 10-04-09, 07:49 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

First, welcome to the Club! It's a great forum to learn about your GX. Lots of smart owners on here with different experiences offering their advise.

As for the GX tow rating, it depends on which hitch you have on your GX. The 2003 and 2004 GX's came with a factory installed Class 3 hitch which was rated for less than 6500 lbs - I think it was 5000 lbs. In either case you are okay assuming you are using the appropriate reciever/ball. The GX by itself is rated to tow up to 6500 lbs.

BTW, when towing make sure your GX is in "4th" gear, NOT "Drive."

Safe travels

Last edited by cssnms; 10-04-09 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-05-09, 06:57 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "4th gear- you are kidding or am I being to macho?

Hmmm! I think this statement should be qualified. -----------

BTW, when towing make sure your GX is in "4th" gear, NOT "Drive." ------------

My view is the “4th” gear is good advice for ascending grades and descending in some situations. Otherwise leaving in drive is perfectly acceptable on the flats. 2500# pound is not much for the mighty Lexus GX470.
Old 10-06-09, 06:24 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by aljodoro
Hmmm! I think this statement should be qualified. -----------

BTW, when towing make sure your GX is in "4th" gear, NOT "Drive." ------------

My view is the “4th” gear is good advice for ascending grades and descending in some situations. Otherwise leaving in drive is perfectly acceptable on the flats. 2500# pound is not much for the mighty Lexus GX470.
Lexus will beg to differ... Lexus does NOT recommend using overdrive while towing. This ensures proper electrical charging and engine braking performance. The GX will only shift into overdrive when the shifter is in the "D" position. While in "4" the GX will not shift into overdrive and will automatically select the appropriate gear while ascending or descending a hill while maintaining efficient engine braking and electrical charging perforamance.
Old 10-06-09, 08:52 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure about 4th position on the flat highway. I just towed 2700 lbs trailer and on flat highway with 2 people in the car, my RPM was below 2000. When I hit the hill and I put 4 my rpm inceased to 3000. When I was going down hill I put in 4th and it helped significantly.
Old 10-06-09, 09:20 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
I am not sure about 4th position on the flat highway. I just towed 2700 lbs trailer and on flat highway with 2 people in the car, my RPM was below 2000. When I hit the hill and I put 4 my rpm inceased to 3000. When I was going down hill I put in 4th and it helped significantly.
Of course your RPM was lower you were in overdrive. All I am saying is Lexus advises NOT towing in overdrive. Lexus does not make an exclusion for flat surfaces. Overdrive is engaged when the vehicle is placed in "D."
Old 10-06-09, 10:58 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Next time I tow I will try in 4. Maybe I can get more then 12.7 MPG.
Old 10-06-09, 11:44 AM
cssnms
Racer

Nobody said it was going to be more fuel efficient.
Old 10-06-09, 01:20 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cssnms
Nobody said it was going to be more fuel efficient.
I dont know what to say I am not expert in towing, like you but GX has 5 gears. 5th gear is not overdrive. So i think it depends on the load. If you have light trailer and your car can drive 60-65 MPH without strugle then why do you need to put in 4th gear (lower gear). When you put heavier load like you do (boat) or RV trailer. Then 4th gear will help engine to pull.
Old 10-06-09, 03:20 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
I dont know what to say I am not expert in towing, like you but GX has 5 gears. 5th gear is not overdrive. So i think it depends on the load. If you have light trailer and your car can drive 60-65 MPH without strugle then why do you need to put in 4th gear (lower gear). When you put heavier load like you do (boat) or RV trailer. Then 4th gear will help engine to pull.
I sense your sarcasm. "Expert," no, but I tow a lot and I tow heavy loads and I am simply referencing what the "experts" at Toyota Motor Corp/Lexus have to say on the matter.

Don't take it from me, take it from the Owner's Manual...

STARTING AND DRIVING
When towing a trailer, in order to maintain efficient engine
braking and electrical charging performance, do not use
overdrive.

CAUTION
Always keep your foot on the brake pedal while stopped
with the engine running. This prevents the vehicle from
creeping.
NOTICE
Always use the brake pedal or parking brake to hold the
vehicle on an upgrade. Do not attempt to hold the
vehicle using the accelerator pedal, as this can cause
the transmission to overheat.

As for the transmission you are correct, the GX is a five speed automatic transmission, more specifically a 5 speed electronically controlled adaptive transmission with overdrive. The only way to engage overdrive is by shifting into "D," which btw also disengages engine breaking. Bottom line the GX is not designed to tow a load in overdrive.

I have no dog in this race, do whatever make you happy, it's your truck.

Last edited by cssnms; 10-06-09 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 04:28 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL, good luck with your trip to TN and with your new horse!
Old 10-07-09, 09:09 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

CSSNMS, I am sorry honestly there was no sense of sarcasm. All I said is, I dont have any experiense with towing. I only towed 3 times, and it was very light trailer. On the other hand I remember you posted a picture of your truck with the boat. So I assumed that you know more then me about towing.
Old 10-07-09, 09:21 AM
cssnms
Racer

No worries my man, sometimes I read to deep into things, but thanks for clearing it up. Hopefully the OP had a happy hauling!

Quick Reply: Girl needs help - GX470 towing ?'s