GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

OK this has to be a joke?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 08:22 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK this has to be a joke?????

We loaded up my 06 GX 470 to head down the shore for a couple of days. This house is my MIL's and it's a summer house that we bring things with us or shop when we get down there. We never leave food at the house because we never know when we are going to be there and the super market isn't that far away.

We arrived there around 2:30 PM on Sunday unloaded the truck and headed to the store. Well the truck was making a weird winding noise when we got a couple of blocks from the house and the icon of the battery came on. I got my book out to find out what this meant and all it said was to call Lexus right away. Well I called Lexus road side assistance and got a girl on the phone she asked if the truck was in a safe spot. I answered yes she then asked what the problem was. I told her that I had an Icon on my dash and could she tell me what this could be. She stated that she was only there to dispatch a tow truck. I told her I would call back when I decided what I was going to do. My hubby said that he felt it was the alternator but wasn't quite sure. On the way back we stopped at a Auto Zone and asked if they could test the charging system and the guy said yes. He tested it and sure enough it was the Alternator. We got to the house and I called back road side assistance and told them that we needed the truck towed and a rental.

This is where the Joke comes in. They sent out a flat bed truck to pick up the truck and tow this to Atlantic City Lexus which was the closes dealership to Cape May. No problem. I need a car because we are here with a puppy my young son, Hubby and myself. They said that they could not get a car for us because it was Sunday. I told them that we are at a house with no food and we were not around anywhere to walk to get food. We really don't know anyone down there and they could not just leave us there strained. Lexus call Enterprise and now we are on a 3 way call. Enterprise said that they could get us a car first thing Monday morning and we could come in. I told the man that there is no way we could come in that they would have to come to us. OK no problem right???? Guess again. Enterprise told us they could only do that if we were within 10 miles. Well Thank God we were BUT the Enterprise car rental that we were dealing with was out of cars. ARE YOU KIDDING ME and were not due to get any back until Tuesday.

OK no car no rental my truck is on it's way to the dealership or so we were told (we found out later that the truck went to the tow yard stayed overnight there then went up to the dealership) If we knew this we would have kept the Truck with us and they could have gotten it in the morning. I now asked if we could get a taxi to take us to dinner since we had reservations and back they told us we could but Lexus would not pay for this. They will only pay for lodging a rental car and food up to 200.00 a day for 3 days until the truck is fixed. I asked them what do you want us to do? You are unable to get us a rental and we were not at a resort where we could get food. They had no answers. This is what they call Road Side Assistance. At one point the guy on the phone for Lexus told us we could ride in the tow truck up to the dealership and see if they could get us a loaner. I said that there was 3 people and a puppy and the guys answer to us was well animals are not allow in the tow truck so we could put the puppy in my truck which would be on the flat bed lock him in there and we could ride in the tow truck with the operator. This was no joke. I had to remind him that he already picked up the truck so this wasn't an option.

We ended up calling my FIL to drive down 2.5 hrs to get us. He got there at 9 pm drove us to a WaWa to get something to eat he stayed over and we all left this morning to come home. My truck is in Egg Harbor and sure enough it's the Alternator. This dealership has been fantastic with us. I called Chuck the service manager which funny enough is from my old dealership that I bought the truck from. I was so glad that he knew me and was taking care of things for me. He received the truck around 11 AM this morning. I asked him if I had to come there or could I go home. He told me to go home and they would make sure that they got the truck to me. He felt I had been though enough already and he did not want for us to go through any more.

OK now is this Lexus's Road side assistance? I'm not having a good run with Lexus the last two weeks. How can they tow the truck leave you strained, no food, no rental car, and call this Road side assistance? Not to mention trip interruption. They don't pay for lodging since it was my MIL's house, they did not have to pay for a rental since they could not get us one and as for food. The bill is 28 dollars for WaWa.
Old 09-01-09, 08:23 AM
JASP615
Driver

UPDATE: I received a call at 8AM this morning to inform me that I need to get a rental since they have no conformation on when they will be able to get the part. All Alternators are on back order. Service manager is trying to find out more but said it could be from a few days to a few weeks. I informed Chuck that trip interruption will only pay for 5 days they told me not to worry about it have Enterprise call him and he will take care of it. So now we wait.
Old 09-01-09, 10:36 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that sucks. I don't see why they couldn't get you a loaner at the dealer.
Old 09-01-09, 11:13 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this, I wonder why alternator in on back order. Usually it takes two days to ship from the main warehouse to the dealer.
Old 09-01-09, 02:54 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bad luck! To be honest though I use Atlantic City Lexus to buy my GS. Great people and had a great buying experience. I am going to use them for the service on my GX going forward.
Old 09-01-09, 06:22 PM
JASP615
Driver

I bought my GX from Cherry Hill Lexus which is the sister dealership to Atlantic City Lexus and I can tell you it's night and day. I never had good luck with Cherry Hill other then when a service guy named Chuck was there. He really was on the ball and got things done. When he left I feel the service dept went down hill. I had Cherry Hill Lexus service my truck 2 times after Chuck left. The first time It went down for warranty work and to fix the my hood which wasn't closing right. Well the warranty work was done but when they delivered my truck to me the hood was not adjusted so back went the truck. An 80 mile round trip turned into 160 miles.

The second time it went in for work I had drove down to show the dealership that one of the boots on the gear shifter had a rip in it and needed to be replaced. They ordered the part and the truck was picked up for an oil change and the boot to be replaced. Once again 80 miles turned into 160 miles because the driver brought the truck back and the boot was not replaced. Even the driver was POed.

When I had a problem with my rims I called a couple of weeks ago and talked to the Service director and he was so unprofessional that I just was shocked. He went as far to say that it was my fault due to neglect because I left the break dust on the rims too long. He never saw my truck to know just how I keep it. It was Wilke Lexus that was going to replace my rim once Lexus OKed it.

Now my Truck is at Atlantic City Lexus and I'm thrilled to find out that Chuck once again will be handling my repairs. He was shocked to hear how we were treated with the Road Side Assistance and went to bat for us. He is now not only going to fix the Alternator when it comes in but he also had Lexus pay for my 36 month maintenance which would be 650.00 and he has ordered the new rims and while the truck is down he will be replacing my rims instead of Wilke Lexus. They are also going to make sure that my truck will be delivered to me when completed at home (the dealership is about 65 miles away from me). Lexus is also paying for my rental with no money out of my pocket it's to be billed to Atlantic City Lexus directly.

I can't say enough good things about this dealership. This just goes to show you how well things could work out if people did their jobs the way they were intended.
Old 09-01-09, 09:15 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can usually trust a guys named Chuck

Good too see it all work out.
Old 09-02-09, 03:42 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for a great story, always good to hear about a great Lexus dealership !
Old 09-02-09, 06:28 AM
rainmn
Driver

I've had the same kind of great experience with Atlantic City Lexus and Chuck.

I didn't buy my GX there, nor did I even buy it new, but they still treat me as if I did.

If I buy a new Lexus, it will definitely be there.
Old 09-02-09, 02:12 PM
JASP615
Driver

Originally Posted by sirCharles
You can usually trust a guys named Chuck

Good too see it all work out.
Funny I was thinking the same thing
Old 09-02-09, 02:23 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I don't think there is a joke here... there not being any loaners on a Sunday evening is perfectly normal. It IS Sunday and most places are closed or out of stock. Enterprise does not have an indefinite fleet of cars just waiting for you either.
Old 09-02-09, 04:44 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I don't think there is a joke here... there not being any loaners on a Sunday evening is perfectly normal. It IS Sunday and most places are closed or out of stock. Enterprise does not have an indefinite fleet of cars just waiting for you either.
exactly. When my RX broke down i called roadside assitance they were polite and courteous and i never had a problem.
Old 09-02-09, 05:00 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Myself included, I called Mazda roadside assistance when the power steering pump failed on me. They brought me to the dealership of my choice, regardless of distance. I just called my mom to come pick me up at the dealership, no biggy.
Old 09-02-09, 05:03 PM
DallasGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by JASP615
We loaded up my 06 GX 470 to head down the shore for a couple of days. This house is my MIL's and it's a summer house that we bring things with us or shop when we get down there. We never leave food at the house because we never know when we are going to be there and the super market isn't that far away.

We arrived there around 2:30 PM on Sunday unloaded the truck and headed to the store. Well the truck was making a weird winding noise when we got a couple of blocks from the house and the icon of the battery came on. I got my book out to find out what this meant and all it said was to call Lexus right away. Well I called Lexus road side assistance and got a girl on the phone she asked if the truck was in a safe spot. I answered yes she then asked what the problem was. I told her that I had an Icon on my dash and could she tell me what this could be. She stated that she was only there to dispatch a tow truck. I told her I would call back when I decided what I was going to do. My hubby said that he felt it was the alternator but wasn't quite sure. On the way back we stopped at a Auto Zone and asked if they could test the charging system and the guy said yes. He tested it and sure enough it was the Alternator. We got to the house and I called back road side assistance and told them that we needed the truck towed and a rental.

This is where the Joke comes in. They sent out a flat bed truck to pick up the truck and tow this to Atlantic City Lexus which was the closes dealership to Cape May. No problem. I need a car because we are here with a puppy my young son, Hubby and myself. They said that they could not get a car for us because it was Sunday. I told them that we are at a house with no food and we were not around anywhere to walk to get food. We really don't know anyone down there and they could not just leave us there strained. Lexus call Enterprise and now we are on a 3 way call. Enterprise said that they could get us a car first thing Monday morning and we could come in. I told the man that there is no way we could come in that they would have to come to us. OK no problem right???? Guess again. Enterprise told us they could only do that if we were within 10 miles. Well Thank God we were BUT the Enterprise car rental that we were dealing with was out of cars. ARE YOU KIDDING ME and were not due to get any back until Tuesday.

OK no car no rental my truck is on it's way to the dealership or so we were told (we found out later that the truck went to the tow yard stayed overnight there then went up to the dealership) If we knew this we would have kept the Truck with us and they could have gotten it in the morning. I now asked if we could get a taxi to take us to dinner since we had reservations and back they told us we could but Lexus would not pay for this. They will only pay for lodging a rental car and food up to 200.00 a day for 3 days until the truck is fixed. I asked them what do you want us to do? You are unable to get us a rental and we were not at a resort where we could get food. They had no answers. This is what they call Road Side Assistance. At one point the guy on the phone for Lexus told us we could ride in the tow truck up to the dealership and see if they could get us a loaner. I said that there was 3 people and a puppy and the guys answer to us was well animals are not allow in the tow truck so we could put the puppy in my truck which would be on the flat bed lock him in there and we could ride in the tow truck with the operator. This was no joke. I had to remind him that he already picked up the truck so this wasn't an option.

We ended up calling my FIL to drive down 2.5 hrs to get us. He got there at 9 pm drove us to a WaWa to get something to eat he stayed over and we all left this morning to come home. My truck is in Egg Harbor and sure enough it's the Alternator. This dealership has been fantastic with us. I called Chuck the service manager which funny enough is from my old dealership that I bought the truck from. I was so glad that he knew me and was taking care of things for me. He received the truck around 11 AM this morning. I asked him if I had to come there or could I go home. He told me to go home and they would make sure that they got the truck to me. He felt I had been though enough already and he did not want for us to go through any more.

OK now is this Lexus's Road side assistance? I'm not having a good run with Lexus the last two weeks. How can they tow the truck leave you strained, no food, no rental car, and call this Road side assistance? Not to mention trip interruption. They don't pay for lodging since it was my MIL's house, they did not have to pay for a rental since they could not get us one and as for food. The bill is 28 dollars for WaWa.
great writeup. should be a writer. sorry to hear about ur trouble though. they usually always bring a loaner on their flatbed truck.
Old 09-02-09, 06:45 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

tough call but for me I probably would have a local shop fix it and have lexus handle the bill.

Quick Reply: OK this has to be a joke?????