GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Michelin Latitude Tour Tires on GX470?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 02:07 PM
ejn_gx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Latitude Tour Tires on GX470?

I am in need of new tires on my 2006 GX470 - I never do off road driving. I'm looking for the most quiet and comfortable tires without getting noticeably worse handling than my original Bridgestone Dueler's which weren't the best handling but I'm looking for same performance but quietest and most comfortable ride. I can get a good deal on the Michelin Cross Terrain's, which were OEM on some GX's. However, anyone try the Michelin Latitude Tour's on a GX470? They look like a quieter tire and bettter treadwear rating but I'm told by Lexus that the Latitudes are not an approved Lexus tire for the GX470 even though they are sold on some LX570 models, which is a heavier car. But there idea of "approved" may be what there negotiated bulk rates are for the best prices they can get from Michelin.

Anyone have experience on Latitude Tour's on a GX470? Are they a better tire than the cross terrains? I would take a chance as the spec's look comparable with the exception of the max load rating. The max load is the same for both tires, however the CT says 2125@35 PSI, whereas the Latitudes says 2125@44 PSI. Lexus recommends tire pressure at 32 PSI, I would never inflate my tires above 35 PSI. Does the tire lose it's max potential if I don't inflate anywhere close to max rating? Is the Latitude going to result in a worse ride than the CT?
Old 08-24-09, 03:03 PM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on all the reviews, the Michelin Cross Terrain's are great tires and the (I think) 65K mile warranty is pretty good. I'm at 62K on mine and they have been great. The only reason I'd look at other tires is to save a bit of money (CT's are over $200/tire).

General Grabber HTS (Highway All-Season) is highly ranked on TRack. At $128/each, it may be my next tire.

Last edited by pgsandiego; 08-24-09 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-25-09, 07:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Michelin Latitude is suppose to be the next generation Cross terrains. My friend has it on his Audi and he loves them. According to him, they perform as well as the Cross Terrain but they are quieter.
Old 08-25-09, 10:57 AM
ARK07
Driver School Candidate

I have the Latitude(s) on my wifes AWD EX35 and they perform very well on ice, snow, rain and overall handling and are very quiet. Certainly this is a much lighter car and it may differ on the GX, but considering the LX uses them why not??

I think somebody needs to try these and considering I have only 20K on my CT's, I vote for you........
Old 08-31-09, 03:28 PM
jbdvm1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i replaced the oem dunlops with the latitude tours and love them. they function well on dry, wet or snow and seem quieter than the dunlops. i also was told that the latitudes are replacing the cross terrains and that they address some shortcomings in the cross terrains
Old 09-01-09, 10:39 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

I've also only heard good things about the lattitude's. I will be replacing mine in bridgestones with the Lattitudes this month.
Old 09-01-09, 10:46 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I would not get Lattitudes. I have heard the wear a lot faster than the cross terrains yet cost the same or more. The Cross Terrains are a good tire and last a long time.
Old 09-01-09, 10:54 AM
litogo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I would not get Lattitudes. I have heard the wear a lot faster than the cross terrains yet cost the same or more. The Cross Terrains are a good tire and last a long time.
Where did you heard that?

Cross Terrain: UTQG 420 vs.
Latitude Tour: UTQG 720

The latitude should last twice longer.
Old 09-01-09, 11:12 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by litogo
Where did you heard that?

Cross Terrain: UTQG 420 vs.
Latitude Tour: UTQG 720

The latitude should last twice longer.
My mistake....I was thinking of the Dunlop GrandTreks AT20
Old 09-01-09, 02:57 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone have a opinion on Cooper Discoverer CTS? I just bought a 05 GX and the dealership replaced the Dunlops with the Coopers. Not my first choice but after some research they supposedly ranked high with Consumer Reports.
Old 09-02-09, 08:34 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Cross Terrains are outstandingly good for the GX, IMO. The new Latitude Tour is claimed to be slightly better in all categories except off-road traction, IIRC from the Michelin spider charts. Michelin is not discontinuing all sizes of the CT, including the OE GX size, so it'd be a tough choice, particularly if the CT's are available at a much better deal.
Old 09-28-09, 06:48 PM
taonemayvt
Driver School Candidate

I ordered 4 tires of Michelin Latitude Tour at Discount Tire. This tires are out of stock even at Michelin dealer. Discount tire has to back up order for Latitude for me. Discount tire offered me Cross Terrain for same cost...I compared 2 tires: almost the same for every thing except TREADWEAR GRADE (720 on Latitude and 420 on Cross Terrain). But both of them rate for 65K mile warranty. I talked to the rep about this. He said that it does NOT matter the number because both of them rate for 65K mile. I am kind of confuse....Any advise will help me to make decision.
Old 09-28-09, 07:35 PM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

We just actually replaced our OEM Cross Terrains with a set from discount. We were going for some Latitudes, but they were on back order too. They gave us the CTs for the same price as the latitudes, we went with the cross terrains. We had read the reviews of the latitudes and wanted the quietness, and perhaps a bit more treadwear (according to the treadwear rating). Being that we live in the mountains, and occasionally deal with some snow, we are glad we went with the cross terrains. If it aint broke.....
Old 09-29-09, 08:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by taonemayvt
I ordered 4 tires of Michelin Latitude Tour at Discount Tire. This tires are out of stock even at Michelin dealer. Discount tire has to back up order for Latitude for me. Discount tire offered me Cross Terrain for same cost...I compared 2 tires: almost the same for every thing except TREADWEAR GRADE (720 on Latitude and 420 on Cross Terrain). But both of them rate for 65K mile warranty. I talked to the rep about this. He said that it does NOT matter the number because both of them rate for 65K mile. I am kind of confuse....Any advise will help me to make decision.
The cross terrians have more aggressive thread, it will have a shorter thread life, but many poeple have gotten very long tire life with cross terrains.
Old 09-29-09, 10:21 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

I have 76K miles on my Michelin CT's, which are now due for replacement. They are great tires! They're quiet too. I am leaning towards the CT's again unless someone can REALLY convince me otherwise.

Last edited by LexusBob; 09-29-09 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Latitude Tour Tires on GX470?