GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 02:03 PM
maybere
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam

Hi all - just bought a 2006 GX470 w/ 40,000 miles on it. I ran seafoam all the time in my Land Rover Discovery and it works wonders. Anyone try it on the GX470?

If so can you post a pic of what tube to use to get the engine to suck it in?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-09, 02:44 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to the Club! There's some great info on here about your GX.

What is Seafoam?
Old 07-10-09, 02:58 PM
maybere
Driver School Candidate

oh yeah, the exhaust smokes like CRAZY for the first 5 miles or so of driving...kind of embarassing
Old 07-10-09, 05:34 PM
cssnms
Racer

Seafoam is a marine grade product isn't it, designed to prevent carbon build-up in boat engines? Me, I use Yammi Lube, but not in my Lexus!
Old 07-10-09, 06:51 PM
maybere
Driver School Candidate

it is designed to work in all engines marine, car, lawn mower, chainsaw...i believe someone posted some before and after pics of the pistons in the IS forum...night and day difference
Old 07-10-09, 07:09 PM
cssnms
Racer

So why not use Techron? It's essentially the same thing as Yamaha Ring Free without the smoke.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...tives/tcp.aspx
Old 07-10-09, 07:42 PM
maybere
Driver School Candidate

that would work great for the fuel injectors and fuel lines, but not the block and gaskets, manifold, etc
Old 07-10-09, 07:48 PM
maybere
Driver School Candidate

i will try the techron in my fuel....you can use the seafoam directly in the manifold and oil case as well
Old 07-10-09, 08:05 PM
cssnms
Racer

a lot of boat owners swear by the stuff, but I stick with Ring Free and Startron in my boat engine. don't plan to use any of them in my gx though.
Old 07-11-09, 05:18 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maybere
that would work great for the fuel injectors and fuel lines, but not the block and gaskets, manifold, etc
+1 for fuel injectors and fuel lines, have used this product for years in all my cars, great product!
Old 07-11-09, 09:42 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Lexus Greenville uses WYNNs Engine Service Kit, it consists of Engine Cleaning System Kit, Tune Up Treatment, Engine Oil Flush, Air Condition Power Clean and Flush and High Performance Petrol Treatment, And they do it for cars which are high on the ODO.
Old 07-13-09, 03:35 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Engine flushes and the like are unnecessary snake oil that doesn't help anything in a good condition gasoline engine like any modern engine that's been fed standard quality fuel and half-decently maintained. Toyota specifically recommends against these items, and strongly encourage their dealers NOT sell such things to their customers because they know that evenutally the customer realizes they are being ripped. But dealers love the killing that they make from people who buy it. The profit margin is huge for the dealers (~$5 cost, $199 selling price, etc), so some of them will give their sales pitch and see if you go for it. Don't.
Old 07-15-09, 04:13 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I am quoting from the Sea Foam website....SEA FOAM Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently. SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

SEA FOAM liquefies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine components, removing carbon deposits, freeing sticky valve lifters and rings curing rough idle, pinging and hesitation problems. By using SEA FOAM to eliminate varnish and carbon buildup, mechanics can more accurately diagnose mechanical problems that may exist. That is why Sea Foam has been so popular with professional mechanics for over 65 years.

As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.

As an oil system additive, Sea Foam controls moisture, gum, varnish and residue deposits.
I know a lot of LS400 members who have used these and have got amazing results. I have not see any member of LS saying Sea foam is bad or made their vehicle performance worse. Visit http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html
Attached Thumbnails Seafoam-sea-foam-motortreatment_product.jpg  
Old 07-16-09, 06:59 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used seafoam on my ES300 in the oil pan, in the fuel and through the brakebooster line. It works wonders and there is a strong following in the Toyota Tundra forum. I don't know which hose to suck it in for my GX but if you find out I'm willing to give it a go. I've used in my fuel and oil pan for the GS. Not willing to experiment on which hose to suck through though.

Another product you might want to check out is a product called autorx. Supposedly better then seafoam but its pretty expensive at $18 a bottle.

I'll stick with Seafoam for the $$.
Old 07-17-09, 06:41 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
I am quoting from the Sea Foam website....
LOL Now there's a reliable source of info -- the manufacturer's own marketing claims.

Were it not for the power of the placebo effect, lots of companies would be out of business.

Quick Reply: Seafoam