GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Audio out (DSP-AMP) in '04 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 06:26 AM
Ntwrks1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio out (DSP-AMP) in '04 GX470

This weekend my wife and I discovered we could turn the stereo system on in the truck, but we get no audio no matter what. You can switch through tuner presets, go to CD, tape, etc. but there isn't any audio output from the speakers. When we go to the sound menu, everything is grayed out with no controls for balance, fader, tone, etc. I entered into the Diagnostic mode of the vehicle (parking light on, off, on, off while holding climate+audio sequence) and it ran a diag. All came up OK except for the DSP-AMP was NCON. I am guessing this must be the Amp for the Mark Levinson audio system? Anyone run into this issue?? Could it be just a blown fuse (anyone know which one to look at?) or perhaps a cable just got disconnected some where?

The odd thing is, we just had the truck in to the local Lexus Dealership for an oil/filter change and full diagnostic check last week, and we don't think we have turned the stereo on since getting it back from them....

Thanks
James

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 07-06-09, 08:43 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

James.. NCON means No Connection, the diagnostic code is P440, Press and hold the info s/w on the navigation display while cycling the tail light on and off 3 times. The display would come as NCON, this means no connection, and the defect lies in your Antenna Amplifier. You need to check the wiring from the radio to the Antenna Amplifier. Check out if the Antenna Amp is receiving power and to do that you need to have a volt meter and check if 12 volt is read on the guage. Some GX have vehicle Antenna Amp with the cable itself and some have it seperate, you need to check that out which part is yours. If it is the cable with the amp then the cable has to be replace otherwise if seperate then the amp itself. One more thingy is if the amp is seperate. plug the antenna cable directly to the antenna itself. IF the reception has a bit improvement then the antenna cable or the amplifier has to be replaced depending on how the set up is.
Old 07-09-09, 05:21 AM
Ntwrks1
Driver School Candidate

mann777- Thank you so much for your insight. I'm going to sound really dumb here but could you tell me where I could find the amp and access to the cabling, etc. in the '04 GX470? Is it near the NAV unit under the passenger seat? Do you know where I might be able to purchase a service manual or any related online resources? Or am I better off just bringing it in to the dealer? Is there a fuse I can check beforehand, either the one to the lower left of the steering wheel or the main fuse box under the hood? Thanks again.

James
Old 12-02-13, 08:23 AM
raduioan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ntwrks1
mann777- Thank you so much for your insight. I'm going to sound really dumb here but could you tell me where I could find the amp and access to the cabling, etc. in the '04 GX470? Is it near the NAV unit under the passenger seat? Do you know where I might be able to purchase a service manual or any related online resources? Or am I better off just bringing it in to the dealer? Is there a fuse I can check beforehand, either the one to the lower left of the steering wheel or the main fuse box under the hood? Thanks again.

James
Hi I've got the same problem with my is 220d please let me know what can I do ?
Old 12-02-13, 10:12 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not the Grinch....ML is noted for going belly up....for no reason at all....

My GX is out of warranty....been told that the amp was bad....that is what the dealership told me....seems like bad quality control on that product. Heard many others with the same issue....

BUT.....even though it was out of warranty I got A BRAND NEW ONE FROM DEALER AND EVEN GOT THAT 1 YEAR WARRANTY THAT COMES WITH IT. Guess that dealership is or is in the holiday mood.

Search through this site and there is some company that will repair for a lot cheaper that the dealership is going to charge you around 1500.00 for a LM Amp...

experience...I would never add a ML product to any of my lexus's .....ML is nothing but a headache.
Old 12-02-13, 01:59 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LVLEXUS
experience...I would never add a ML product to any of my lexus's .....ML is nothing but a headache.
I used to frequent a high-end audio forum that included quite a few members that were in the audio business (sales, design, marketing). Mr M. L. was not well regarded by those folks.