GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Nat Blue GX470.. not your typical setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 03:15 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Nat Blue GX470.. not your typical setup

Just got done slapping some rims on the car with tires. Probably not what most people do with these trucks... I wanted it to be more offroad capable (there's a few on here that get a bit off the trail with these) so I went with 18" rims and 285 tires. I went all black to get a bit more aggressive. Let me know what you think.

Mods so far:
Tires/Rims/HID's/Fogs Lamps/Bull Bar/ Fog lights. Not sure if there's anything left to do?

Old 06-16-09, 04:58 PM
MSAGRO
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

En' Machismo El GX'io!
Old 06-16-09, 06:21 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Doc, I like that look, I like that a lot! Very utilitarian looking.

You should consider tinting the front windows it would round out the overall look nicely.
Old 06-16-09, 06:58 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Originally Posted by cssnms
Hey Doc, I like that look, I like that a lot! Very utilitarian looking.

You should consider tinting the front windows it would round out the overall look nicely.
Yeah, you're right! I forgot about that. I knew there was something else I needed to get done!
Old 06-16-09, 08:15 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The truck looks great.

Few questions:

1. Is your truck lifted? If not, do the tires rub anywhere?

2. How do the new tires ride compared to stock?

3. How did the new tires affect the gas mileage?
Old 06-16-09, 09:41 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Originally Posted by snhrph
The truck looks great.

Few questions:

1. Is your truck lifted? If not, do the tires rub anywhere?

2. How do the new tires ride compared to stock?

3. How did the new tires affect the gas mileage?
Truck is not lifted...your basic stock Gx470. When they test fitted the rims they said it rubbed a little at full lock on the front inside fender well plastic. They showed me in the parking lot but it looked like it barely touched. I haven't been able to replicate this driving around today (as in, I haven't heard any buzzing noises as I have experienced tire rub before)... not sure if the truck settled more now and it clears fine or not. It was VERY close, I don't think it will ever be a problem. If it does rub at some point, I imagine the tires or the plastic will wear out and create their own clearance within seconds of contact.... I mean, we're talking barely rubbing at full lock. They also said that they had a little trouble getting the rims on because of the control arms or sways or something... I have no idea what that means or what they were talking about. All I know is that is all fits now... lol

This is Discount Tire... nothing fancy. The whole setup cost ~$1500 or so.

Remember these are 285 x 18 tires... I chose the Nitto Terra Grappler because I heard (read the reviews) they perform great in winter/dirt but aren't noisy. So far, they're great. I was going 70mph on the highway on the way home and there was no extra tire noise. I usually drive with windows open, so trust me, I'd be able to hear it.

The rims are 18x8.5 I believe.

The truck rides a little stiffer... the stock goodyears are definitely softer and soak up the bumps better. I could feel the uneven pavement for the first time in the GX.. not bad... just felt it.. This is the same road that just about knocks my teeth out in the NSX. So, yeah, I gave up a little ride comfort.

No comment on gas mileage yet since I've literally had them on for half a day. I can't imagine it will get better. lol These things look WAY wider than stock....

The truck itself just feels more planted...but I also think it feels "heavier". This of course could just be psychological since I know I know have these massive black wheels where the stock ones used to be.
Old 06-16-09, 11:12 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lovin it Doc!
Old 06-17-09, 08:56 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice set up. Looks really good.
Old 06-17-09, 10:04 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

nice.....very unique looking.....definitely offroad

any photo-shop experts that can change the GX to black with those same wheels

it would be interesting to see just a solid black-out
Old 06-18-09, 06:38 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

That is one beautiful looking GX. I was planning on getting a GX last December but I changed my mine. I want to see what the new redesigned GX looks like...
Old 06-18-09, 08:05 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Remember, your spare tire is still stock size. So, i am not sure how your GX would react IF you had to use the spare tire. You may want to look into options for the spare tire. What is the diameter on the new tire?? Is it 33"??

Suggestion for mod: rock sliders to replace those running boards. And if you really want more hardcore stuff, then i recommend an ARB rear locker with compressor.
Old 06-18-09, 10:16 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Remember, your spare tire is still stock size. So, i am not sure how your GX would react IF you had to use the spare tire. You may want to look into options for the spare tire. What is the diameter on the new tire?? Is it 33"??

Suggestion for mod: rock sliders to replace those running boards. And if you really want more hardcore stuff, then i recommend an ARB rear locker with compressor.
Well, the new tires aren't that much larger diameter wise (technically) since they're 285/60/18's versus 265/65/17's. I'm sure the spare isn't perfect, but it would get me out of trouble if it came to that. They're mostly just wider. It's probably a good idea to drop the spare down and compare just for kicks..but I think I'm ok. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure if I'll get as extreme as rock sliders and a rear locker but that would be fun. It's still my daily driver, i can't get too crazy with it. lol

I have to give big props to these Nitto tires... it just cruises along the highway at 70-75 with no noise. It's just a bit stiffer than stock (the tires are harder and transfer more road feel through the truck)

Thanks for all the positive comments people. I was actually calling tint shops this morning to get those front windows done.

Does anyone make an exhaust for this truck? Borla, etc? Or is that too obnoxious?

Last edited by DrVolkl; 06-18-09 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 10:47 PM
DSap
Driver School Candidate

Dig it! Looks beefy!
Old 06-21-09, 07:15 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Originally Posted by itsZep

"it would be interesting to see just a solid black-out"

Last edited by itsZep; 06-21-09 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 06:09 PM
bobinsofla
Rookie

Love the look!!! I need to talk wifey into the black wheel setup as an off road option as I think it would great on my white.

Quick Reply: My Nat Blue GX470.. not your typical setup