GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 10:21 AM
cmc5dc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked dashboard?

I have a 2003 and has always been kept in the garage. Past lexus's have never had this problem but have developed a 2 inch crack extending laterally from the upper woodgrain panel Has anyone else discovered a problem, could this be a manufact./craftmenship warranty issue?

$1100 + is what the dealership quoted me to replace. What happen to quality?
Old 05-07-09, 10:55 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Bummer, certainly not something I would expect to happen in a 2003 Lexus.

There are leather/vinyl repair comanies that can probably fix this and you will not even be able to tell the differance. When I was in the car business the dealers would hire these companies to restore leather seats, center consoles etc. before putting the cars up for sale. The work these guys did was incredible. So before dolling out $1100 call your local dealer and or full service car detailer for recommendations. As an example here's a link to a company that offers the service.

http://www.werepairleather.com/
Old 05-07-09, 11:07 AM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Yeah, never heard of that happening. I bet you could find a local shop to fix it for a couple hundred.

Other option is finding a dash out of a wrecked GX??? But by the time it's all done, it may not be any cheaper than what the dealership wants.
Old 05-08-09, 07:41 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes this has happened to a few i believe, and I was also a victim to the same issue, it was a hairline crack running across above the wood trim from the glove compartment to the driver side Air conditioning vent. This is bit difficult to mend it, I have tried all avenues to get this repaired as i was out of warranty. So I got one from Singapore thru my business partners for 485 dollars. This job can be done in 5 hours straight with taps on. You just have to have to be a bit careful on the part when the clips as my i had a few snapping off. Believe it is better if you replace with a new one than repairing it as you just cant get the finish how an original one looks. I initially got it reskimmed and the leather dudes just could not get the finish and it was a eye popping one once they are mended.
So if you are covered under Platinium Warranty then the part cost which is 1100/- is taken car by the dealer and the labour charge is what is charged that is 480/- $.
Well for me I was beyond the warranty stage, was covered under CPO but sewell just refused blantantly.So I knew what the other dealer also would cook up . I had never used any cleanser for dashboard for the entire GX life with me, but it did not sound convincing to them & The dealers would never accept it there fault that this is a manufacturing defect, I did'nt want much time haggling with them, I took my decision of getting this part myself, ofcourse it was factor of time that took while i had to fix in between my business, but it was a pleasure to get to the intracacies of the front panel removal with utmost care. Because it was a bit tricky for me as it was the first time and i had to do it slowly , But the fixing the same new panel this was finished in 72 hours compared to the removal one which took 8days out of which 6-8 hours a day of continous work . The most difficult part was the clips which are placed behind the instrument cluster, and the drive panel. I had to detach around 121 clips and around 23 harness connectors. And mark them also as many harness were look alike and they had to be marked for refixing. The best I could do was write it simultaneously and color tag them accordingly. But I finally acheived them flawless. I cant ask for more.
Just try with few other dealers also, if it works you are lucky, otherwise get it fixed yourself.
Old 05-08-09, 04:29 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd love to see a pic of the crack if possible.
Old 05-09-09, 05:53 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '03 and garaged kepted as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't run into this issue.
Old 05-11-09, 07:32 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cmc5dc,

I'd write a letter to Lexus' corporate headquarters requesting they replace the dash. Warranty or no warranty, this shouldn't happen on any 5 to 6 year old vehicle without cause.

Jim
Old 05-11-09, 08:09 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

sorry puprplehaze... I have disposed mine while replacing it. I cant remember if I have taken snapshots of the same. Will look around..cheers
Old 05-14-09, 10:54 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have always maintained all vehicles that I have owned with armor-all on the dashboard and leather seating. They have classic for all the plastic and vinyl, and a different product line for leather care. Maybe this would be a good preventive measure. The downside is when the dash is too shiny it does give a reflection that makes it difficult to see at dusk.
Old 05-14-09, 11:17 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use this, low shine and lasts very long
Old 05-14-09, 03:31 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by purplehazek4

I use this, low shine and lasts very long
Must be new, never seen it before, well not really searching for it either but I'll keep an eye out for this one on my next trip to autozone. Thanks.
Old 06-04-09, 08:09 PM
not sure
Driver School Candidate

Default same here...

...it looks as though somebody has come along with a razor blade and made 3 lilttle 1" to 2" slices in the dash at various places (2 of them are along the upper edge where the dash meets wood at the center console). I have been given the # for a recommended dash repair place and will post results if i ever decide to pay for the service. for now, trying protectants and a sunshield while parked outside!
Old 06-14-09, 06:39 AM
cmc5dc
Driver

Somewhat GREAT news In the past, I've always expressed my concerns with the 1 800 # ( customer satisfaction ), being I've owned prior Lexus vehicles as well as family owning Lexus vehicle, I called them and reported the situation. This must be workmanship defect. They asked if I had warranty, I replied no lets say I did have warranty would this have been covered......they answered "no". They would call the manager at Lexus and report to them my concerns and call me back. I never rec'd a call so I proceeded to call them back and express another concern in which they replied the manager should have called me back offering a "Good Faith"....they will cover the parts ($1100 ) but I would have to be responsible for the labor ($356 )....I took the offer.

My #2 concern, they completely removed my DIY DVD override that I had done years ago from info. shared on the forum At that time I say something on Ebay with a seller selling a device that would override the dvd while in motion....viewing a dvd movie while your driving (passenger request) but I opted to do it myself. Well, I can't find that seller, does anyone know of????? All I came up with is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110392532748. Care to comment?
Old 06-14-09, 08:14 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any chance something like this if others are experiencing the same thing there could be any kind of recall where you could get it free or reduced price? You wouldn't think that would happen with a Lexus. Not that it should matter but do you park you vehicle in extreme direct hot sun all day at work like out at 29 Palms? I suppose $1100 doesn't seem that bad relative to other stuff like that little divider in the drink holder being so expensive. I agree pics if possible. Good luck.
Old 06-14-09, 06:00 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

This is my wife's car, car is always in the garage. I agree I don't believe I should payed 4 the labor.

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?