GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 06:52 AM
RavenHeart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking dash... Any resolutions on this?

Originally Posted by charjones
My 2004 RX330 has over 100,000 miles on it now; however, I have been dealing with the local dealership for over 50,000 miles with this problem. My dash looks horrendous, like something has taken several bites out of it! When inquiring with the local dealership, the response was that they had never seen anything like this...(sound familiar?), and the replacement would cost $2,000! I looked into repairing it, but the authorized guy (that does all repairs for many dealerships in our area), said that it wouldn't work; it was "obviously a defective dashboard". Since then, I have been searching through salvage dealers for a new dash pad and cover. Haven't found one, probably due to the fact that if the car has been in an accident, the airbag blew out that side of the dash. I am ALL FOR A CLASS ACTION SUIT. This is not at all what I expected from a Lexus product!
I was told the part would be $1500 also, not including labor! I haven't had it repaired as I feel there was NO REASON for this. My car had only $55,000 miles, kept in a garage or had a window shield placed when parked outside there is NO excuse and I need some outlet to help. I'm a single mom of three two about ready to start college I cannot afford what they charge! Any ideas, or has anyone been able to get Lexus to fix this and a host of other issues I'm finding from other owners of same year vehicle!
Old 09-20-14, 12:09 PM
sfmaxfish
Driver School Candidate

Default Another cracked dash

Our 2004 mint condition, garage-kept RX330 with 44,000 mi. on it has a dash that began cracking by 30,000 miles. It is now cracked all the way around the dash, on all edges, and is working towards the middle. Lexus denies any knowledge or liability. Our local dealer said, "leather always does that"!
What is happening to Lexus? We certainly wouldn't buy our third Lexus knowing they don't stand behind their products.
Old 09-22-14, 09:53 AM
kwylde
Driver School Candidate

Default Your Lexus dashboard

I finally paid the money to have the dash replaced. Unless Lexus decides to fix this problem and reimburse people for their problems they can be sure this will be the last Lexus that I buy.
Old 09-29-14, 01:55 PM
JakSiemasz
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash Replacement

My dealer told me that they would provide a replacement dash if I pay for the install of $515. Have a 2008 with 120K miles. Gonna get replaced in two weeks.
Old 09-29-14, 04:21 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You have to be more assertive with these bastards when negotiating the fix. These Lexus people are so tight that when they blink their eyes their peckers skin back two inches.
Old 10-06-14, 08:47 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

Just notice my third crack. This one was beginning to shoot right across the middle from the center console. Made my appointment to visit Lexus of Orlando. Will update with what they say...already prepared to escalate.
Old 10-15-14, 12:51 PM
sfmaxfish
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Success, maybe.

Our first attempt this summer to get corporate assistance in this widespread dash problem ended with an offer of 25% discount from corporate for the repair. Our second, through a different dealer, resulted in an offer of full repair cost coverage (after I posted on Lexus' Facebook page about the issue). I probably should not say this now, as the parts have not come in and it has not been done. There is also a Facebook page: Lexus Dash Defects. Join up.
Old 11-15-14, 06:53 AM
dashdamage
Driver School Candidate

Default SOS in Houston, Texas

Sorry to hear others are experiencing similar problems as I am with my GX470. Specifically, for those in Texas, which dealerships did you work with to resolve this problem?

Also, any updates on corporate resolution from Lexus, or is legal action imminent?
Old 11-15-14, 06:58 AM
dashdamage
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus dashboard replacement

Originally Posted by JakSiemasz
My dealer told me that they would provide a replacement dash if I pay for the install of $515. Have a 2008 with 120K miles. Gonna get replaced in two weeks.
Where in Texas are you located and which dealership did you go to for your replacement? After reading some of these posts, I hope your repair was completed as promised and no problems have since come up!
Old 11-15-14, 01:31 PM
jpnut
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2003 and dashboard looks great. Never replaced, but garage kept. Just bought Turtle Wax T-97R F21 Super Protectant and hope that the Anti-UV agents help.
Old 11-18-14, 07:33 AM
rcgunner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dashdamage
Sorry to hear others are experiencing similar problems as I am with my GX470. Specifically, for those in Texas, which dealerships did you work with to resolve this problem?

Also, any updates on corporate resolution from Lexus, or is legal action imminent?
I had mine replaced at Lexus of Clear Lake in Houston off the Gulf Freeway in 2012 (I beleive), and I haven't had any problems since. I have a 2004 GX that had about 80k miles at the time. I think I paid around $800. I posted on this thread when I had it done with more specifics than I can remember now. Hope this helps!

Last edited by rcgunner; 11-18-14 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-20-14, 04:52 PM
Mmuzevich
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Dash Cracks

In reading all of the posts it appears as though Lexus has a real problem with the dash's in many of their models. We have a 2008 Lexus RX350. Cracks started to appear a couple of years ago but have accelerated in the past 6 months. Now they are everywhere and chunks of the vinyl are falling off. Have spoken to Lexus on two different occasions but they have elected to take the GM approach to a problem. Ignore it and hope it goes away. I called Lexus to get a price on the dash and it is over $1400.00 for the dash alone plus labor to install. Have found a brand new OEM On Car-parts.com for $600.00. It is on its way. I will install it myself. Figure I have a couple of years to get rid of it before it starts again. Too bad, I like the car but won't buy another. So much for Lexus. Have turned out to be like all of the rest of the car manufacturers. Have been in the car business all my life and have yet to find one that will stand behind their product.
Old 12-29-14, 03:36 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work to cdew002 and sprocket (maybe others, too?!) for posting the good news that Lexus seems to have *finally* gotten their act together on their cracking dash epidemic.

Here's some links in the interest of cross-posting the good news. For those that paved the way for us, here's hoping you get your $ back!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eneration-218/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-replaced.html

P.S. Now if we can just get the air susp in our GX covered, we'll be 100% golden.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 12-29-14 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 05:05 PM
Tact
Driver

I contacted my dealer today and the service manager requested more pics of my cracked dash. I sent those in and he stated Lexus would replace my dash free of charge. He said Lexus was seeking reimbursement from the dash manufacturer and would order my dash today. It should be in by the middle of next week.
Old 01-03-15, 01:54 PM
Mmuzevich
Driver School Candidate

Angry Cracked Dashes

Lexus has a big problem with several of their models with the dash boards cracking. I have a 2008 Lexus RX350. The dash cracked in about ten different places and new cracks were appearing every week. Contacted Lexus to no avail. They could care less. Lexus dealer in Sarasota Fl. wanted over $1400. for the dash alone plus labor to install. I found a new one on car-parts.com and installed it myself. Only out $700.00 for a problem that shouldn't be ours, but Lexus's. They are choosing to ignore the problem and hope it goes away. The only thing going away will be its customers. Not happy with Lexus at all.

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?