GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 06:53 AM
D&KsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer installed new dash, new driver side view mirror, and driveshaft for the TSB...all at no cost to us.
Old 08-05-09, 05:35 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Question

What year are everyone's GX's that have been having these cracks show up? Just curious as I will be picking up an 06 this weekend...
Old 08-05-09, 11:03 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Those with cracks, are you the original owner? If not, then there is no way of telling how the vehicle was parked-indoors or out. Appears to be a dry crack. I always keep mine nice and moist. Never had a cracked dash with any Lexus. Had them all the time with my German cars though.
Old 08-06-09, 07:08 AM
TexGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the crack show up on my dash about four days ago. I stopped by and talked with the dealer and he seemed pretty sure they could take care of it with out much problem. I just need to bring it buy. We will see. I will keep you updated. It does not hurt to mention that you are looking for a new truck for you wife.

TexGX
Old 08-06-09, 08:44 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

Original owner. Always garaged. It was a 2003 we picked from the transport. Very well cared for....

The only cars I have had that had cracked dashes were some mid 60s Jags. Several MB cars with no problems. Currently have a 2000 RX with no problems.

Perhaps Lexus of Austin is the only dealer that wouldn't fix it under extended warranty.

Oh well, my wife loves her new Benz.
Old 08-11-09, 04:34 PM
TexGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talked with the my old service guy and he suggested fixing the crack v's replacing the dash. He said all kinds of things can go wrong replacing a dash. I took his advice and had the dealer repair it at their cost.

IT LOOKS GREAT. This was much simpler then fighting and waiting on a new dash. I would suggest trying to have them fix it first then replace if you are not happy with the work.

TexGX
Old 08-13-09, 02:47 PM
mattcocita
Driver School Candidate

Default Long time browser, first time poster.

Hey guys,

I think I can shed some light on this issue. This has been an ongoing problem with the GX for a while now. I am not sure if this continues to be a problem on the newer GX's, but I have seen it up to 2005 models. Lexus has been going after the vendor who manufactured the dash pads in order to get them replaced.

So here is the deal;

If your GX has LESS THAN 100k on the odometer the dash pad should be covered under warranty! If you are a good customer the dealer should help you out. What they will do is type up a report and take some pictures of the dash. They send it up and once the report is reviewed and approved you should be able to get a new dash pad to replace the defective one. The only thing you should expect to pay for is some of the labor.

If your car has OVER 100k the dealer can't really do anything to help you. Technically you are outside of the warranty so you may have to beg borrow and steal to get a new dash pad. Once again, if you are a good customer, some dealers might be willing to help you get it repaired.

My local Lexus dealer just saw two more of these issues come up in the last week alone on top of just replacing mine this week. If your dealer is giving you the runaround call the customer satisfaction line and explain the situation.

Hope this helps and hope you guys can get your new dash pad!
Old 08-13-09, 03:40 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the update. I really am upset and will never do business again with Lexus of Austin. As a matter of fact I will go out of my way to discourage any one from using that dealer. Here is one of the dash cracks...
Attached Thumbnails cracked dashboard?-used-2003-lexus-gx_470.jpg  
Old 08-13-09, 03:49 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ WOW!
Old 08-13-09, 04:02 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Burl from Texas, could you please PM me if you look at this thread? I am thinking about buying your GX and wanted to ask you a couple of questions. I really wanted to talk to you before I drove down to Austin to look at it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TexasGS; 08-13-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 06:16 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

personal email sent
Old 08-24-09, 07:37 AM
CaptnPete
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2003 GX 470 which we bought brand new. The car is always garaged and not even driven to work. In May 2008 (mileage 42000) a long horizontal slit developed on the passenger side. The dealer said that it was not their problem. I had it repaired at the dealer byan independent contractor for $150. One can see the repair job.
A year later the dash pad is splitting in various places. (Mileage 45000). I took it back to the dealer. They acknowledged that there have been others with the same problem. They took pictures and told me they would let me know what is going to happen. That was more than three weeks ago. Haven't heard anymore.
Old 08-27-09, 10:14 AM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaptnPete
I have a 2003 GX 470 which we bought brand new. The car is always garaged and not even driven to work. In May 2008 (mileage 42000) a long horizontal slit developed on the passenger side. The dealer said that it was not their problem. I had it repaired at the dealer byan independent contractor for $150. One can see the repair job.
A year later the dash pad is splitting in various places. (Mileage 45000). I took it back to the dealer. They acknowledged that there have been others with the same problem. They took pictures and told me they would let me know what is going to happen. That was more than three weeks ago. Haven't heard anymore.
Have you called Lexus Customer Satisfaction and emailed them as well? I'm a first time poster, but had been reading this forum because of all the similar problems others experienced.

My RX330 (2004) got a crack above the instrument panel around 85K miles. At around 100K the crack just rocketed across the dash and now is headed toward the windshield. What a mess. I documented my concerns in two phone calls (June, July) and also sent an email from the Lexus website yesterday. Today I received a goodwill offer from the dealership (along with Lexus corp) for 25% off the price of a replacement dashboard, which I understand is $1900+. There would be no more consideration because of the high mileage of the car, although they did thank me for my loyalty to the brand, appreciate the stellar maintenance record and are most impressed with the upkeep of the vehicle.

I'm asked that this goodwill offer be sent to me in writing and will respond via certified mail with a thanks but no thanks. Call me unappreciative, however, I'm disgusted. I find their mileage reasoning a bunch of hooey.

Best of luck to you. The 'area' Lexus rep, along with the dealer, are the ones Lexus (Corp) works with in order to formulate their offer. Send an email. The response was fast.

*Sorry if this post is in the wrong thread. I did not find threads under the RX area about the dashboard crack issue.

Last edited by Skippy; 08-27-09 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 08-27-09, 11:18 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After following this thread for a while, I begin to think that the best response to the problem was by burl :-) Maybe if more people desert Lexus for MB, maybe then they'll start listening.
Old 08-27-09, 01:30 PM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsobol
After following this thread for a while, I begin to think that the best response to the problem was by burl :-) Maybe if more people desert Lexus for MB, maybe then they'll start listening.
Perhaps, but MB is not the only option out there. Lexus is fully aware of this site / forum and knows about this thread. It's too bad because I really enjoy my service advisor at the dealership, and talked to him last time I was in about possibly looking at the new RX. They have treated me right, with loaners even when I get an (overpriced) oil change, but the mileage rationale digusts me.

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?