GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-12, 05:32 AM
brock9007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where should I order a new dash at?
Old 03-04-12, 07:34 PM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tissimo
I just replaced the dash in my GX this past weekend. I did the labor my self.
If you don't mind saying, where did you get it and how much was it?

I don't mind doing the labor myself, but the dash price is pretty high on it's own.
Old 03-12-12, 03:38 PM
donald16
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2004 RX 330 and the dashboard is splitting and cracking the full length of the dashboard. Lexus has declined to take any action to assist. I've never had any vehicle do this, much less a Lexus.
Old 03-12-12, 04:19 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by donald16
I've never had any vehicle do this, much less a Lexus.

Same here. Sometimes I feel Lexus Products are overrated.
Old 03-21-12, 08:59 PM
ZoeZhe04
Rookie

Here's our cracked dash before and I was told at the dealership. First time for them to see a cracked dash that crossed the entire dash.

A trip to Lexus of Clearwater fixed our problem with NO question asked after paying a labor fee of $460.00 out the door expense. Our regular service advisor did all of these in two weeks time and a loaner car since it took a day to changed the dash. Plus, I noticed they changed our key for a NEW one which up to now i don't know why? : As you can see in the pictures, we had these mat to cover the dash that why its all over with velcro.

The original owner bought the GX on this dealership and since it is nearest Lexus service center we continued having our regular maintenance to them. Sorry, I don't have a picture yet of our new dash. But, we are happy of the NEW dash and thank you Lexus of Clearwater.
Old 03-21-12, 10:26 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear your experience was so much more pleasant than that of most others, though it still stinks you had to come out of pocket at all. Can I ask what year and how many miles on your truck?

Ive been wondering, do we have any real measurable metrics other than the horror stories here that keep me up at night? IT seems this can effect any year, from 03 all the way to 09 so Lexus never dod anything to address what was a known issue at some point. It also appears overall, though they knew this and allowed it to continue, they decided overall to let the customer suck it on this one.

The other question I have been mulling over, and I guess apprehensive to ask, is do you folks think its possible realistically that this at some point or other will effect all GX's? IF not, do we have some idea as to why it effects some and not others?
Old 03-22-12, 12:21 PM
ZoeZhe04
Rookie

Originally Posted by Muti007
Glad to hear your experience was so much more pleasant than that of most others, though it still stinks you had to come out of pocket at all. Can I ask what year and how many miles on your truck?

Ive been wondering, do we have any real measurable metrics other than the horror stories here that keep me up at night? IT seems this can effect any year, from 03 all the way to 09 so Lexus never dod anything to address what was a known issue at some point. It also appears overall, though they knew this and allowed it to continue, they decided overall to let the customer suck it on this one.

The other question I have been mulling over, and I guess apprehensive to ask, is do you folks think its possible realistically that this at some point or other will effect all GX's? IF not, do we have some idea as to why it effects some and not others?
It's a 2004 with 104,000 miles. We bought it with 60,000 miles in 2008 and about after a year it started to have a crack on the dash.
Old 03-22-12, 01:15 PM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Makes me wonder if the small hairline cracks in mine will grow into something much more...

I would be very interested to know if anyone has had a "new" dash long enough to be able to determine whether or not they crack or if they changed some part of the construction or materials.
Old 03-22-12, 01:41 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoeZhe04
It's a 2004 with 104,000 miles. We bought it with 60,000 miles in 2008 and about after a year it started to have a crack on the dash.
Looks like you have a dash cover (velcro patches). Was this own the dash when you bought the GX or did you add the cover after the purchase?
Old 03-22-12, 04:17 PM
ZoeZhe04
Rookie

Originally Posted by redrocks
Looks like you have a dash cover (velcro patches). Was this own the dash when you bought the GX or did you add the cover after the purchase?
We bought a dash cover when the crack started to show-up.
Old 03-28-12, 11:24 PM
sarah42
Driver School Candidate

I visited the Lexus service department today to show them the crack running across my dash. I have the 2004 RX330 and it does stay in the garage. They told me I had and old car and I was out of luck unless I wanted to spend $1200 just for the dash replacement. Not good. My car looks like a 2010 and runs like one too.
Old 03-29-12, 10:57 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I think it is just a waste of time, explaining these nerds at the service centre, they cannot come up with any solution and accept this was a manufacturing defect of a particular lot. I lost my patience with these guys and bought on my own ( imported down from Singapore) and had it done.
Old 04-07-12, 06:02 PM
tda
Driver School Candidate

Got a call from Lexus today, said they would pay 50% of the new dash and I pay the labor, a good will gesture as they called it as my wife's is a 2004 with a measly 57k and always serviced by Lexus. Still have not decided
Cheers
Tony
Old 04-09-12, 09:20 AM
wlwright50
Driver School Candidate

If anyone who got their own dash would please post the information on where and how they got it, that would be a major help. Thanks a million!!!
Old 05-04-12, 02:41 PM
kwylde
Driver School Candidate

Default Another cracked dashboard

We have a 2005 RX330 with a tan dashboard that is parked in the shade or in a garage. The dashboard is cracking on the passenger side. The only other place I've seen this is with low end cars that are parked in the sun. I also have a 94 Miata that sit out in the Florida sun all day and the black dash board looks new. Maybe it has something to do with the color.

One thing is for sure and that is a Lexus dashboard should not be cracking at any age.

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?