GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Yokohama

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 11:05 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yokohama

Anyone have any thoughts on the Yokohama brand
and the Yokohama PARADA Spec-X in particular?

Would this be a good tire for a GX that is mainly
used on streets/highways in warm climates.
(never snow-very rarely off-road)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Parada+Spec-X
Old 04-10-09, 04:43 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey itZep

No experience with the Prada Spec X but I have experience with Yokohama tires. I tried a couple of models on some of my sports cars including the Yokohama AVS. Take this with a grain of salt since it was a few years ago and maybe they have gotten better since, but I was very disappointed with them - traction, wear and balancing issues. I swore them off after that and switched over to PZeros.

Is that new car smell still going strong?
Old 04-10-09, 05:16 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had regular Prada's on my Honda years ago. Worst tire i've had next to low end Nittos. HORRIBLE road noise, poor grip, decent wear
Old 04-10-09, 06:20 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

yep cssnms....still smelling good.

wow now you guys got me confused....i did some searching this afternoon after I posted and Yokohama had almost all excellent reviews, and this tire in particular was rated by customer reviews #1 out of 12 SUV tires on TireRack.com.

Last edited by itsZep; 04-10-09 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-11-09, 05:24 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The performance of the tire is relevant to the vehicle it's mounted on. The same tire will perform better on one type of vehicle and terrible on the other. I had Yokohama's Geolander H/T-S G052 on my RX300 and they performed really well, in fact much better than Michelin's Cross Terrain. On the other hand most GX470 owners swear by the Cross Terrain's.

Yokoham's are generally really soft, sticky tires. Good on the dry road, OK in the rain and bad in the snow. Due to the soft compound they wear out relatively quickly. Average tread life ~20,000 miles.

If you are looking to replace your original size tires go with what other owners of GX recommend. If you are replacing the original size with different size wheels/tires than you are on your own, sorry. You will have to experiment, as this will change the feel and handling of the vehicle. Low profile tires that may work wonders on your lowered Honda Civic will really s..k on your GX.

Sorry for not being too helpful with your original question, but unless someone already tried these tires on the GX, than you are not going to get a lot of meaningful answers.
Old 04-11-09, 05:31 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

gsobol....thanks...that info was helpful....actually I had the tires (285/50/20) from my 2004 GX put on my new 2009....so the dealer gave me a break when I purchased without tires/wheels. tires seem to really garner wide opinions....i've been reading reviews and you'll see 5 people say a certain tire "sucks" and then 5 other people say they are the best tires in the world.
Old 04-12-09, 01:12 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

itsZep
While I have no input on the Paradas (actually have been wondering the same and is torn betweenYokos Geolandar and the GY Fortera TripleTread), I had 2 sets of Yokohama Avid DBS2 on my Infinity. IMO, the best tires I've ever had on the sport sedan: awesome dry traction, wet traction beyond belief, the only downfall was the thread wear, but I did not expect anything beyond 25K on the Z-rated tires. Bought a second set when the 1st set balded. Snow traction was not a consideration for me at that point. Yoko stopped making these about 2 years ago.

Nothing but good responses on the Geolandars from the actual owners that I've crossed paths with. Most of them swear by the Yokos they have. But they own other SUVs - G500 and X5s. Neither one of them has in the past, nor is planning on driving their trucks off the asphalt, as a matter of fact their trucks barely make it out of NYC.

Personally, I'm leaning more towards the GY TripleTreads for my GX.

Paradas are priced VERY attractively. The thread looks aggressive, yet appears to provide enough channels for water to escape to improve wet traction. Seems like a good option for no-snow and no-offroad use.

Let us know if you decide to buy them and post the feedback.
Old 04-12-09, 07:46 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

snhrph thanks for the feedback.....you may find some of these reviews helpful:

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ents=Y&index=0

or this too....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...eed_rating=(Y)

Last edited by itsZep; 04-12-09 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-13-09, 12:15 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Over the years when this topic has surfaced on the GX forum people generally raved about Michelin Cross Terrains. I don't think I've seen any bad reviews, and many people have reported having used other tires and much prefered the CT's. CT is the only tire I've ever had on my GX, but I absolutely would buy another set as I can't imagine a quieter or more comfortable tire for my purposes on the GX. Michelin has a new Latitude Tour out that partially superseeds the CT. It is supposed to be slightly more comfortable and slightly quieter (at the expense of snow traction), but I'd almost have to experience it to believe it. Not sure which of the two I'll try when/if I ever wear out my CT's, but I endorse CT's on the GX for sure.
Old 04-13-09, 12:50 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

I6turbo.....yeah I hear Michelin is about the best.
They better be...look at the cost difference:

Yokohama Parada Spec-X - 285/50/20---$218 installed (each)
Michelin Latitude Tour HP - 285/50/20---$409 installed (each)

That from my Lexus dealer, but even from
Discount Tire I bet there is just as big of a difference.

My problem with the Michelin's is not so much the money...
I want a bit more aggressive look on a 285/50/20 and it
doesn't appear the Michelins have that.
I am trying to balance quality and appearance.

I am leaning towards the Yokos, but will still study a bit more.

The reviews of the YOKOS pretty much across the board is impressive.

BTW...I6turbo thanks for your input...I appreciate it and will
give it some thought.

Old 04-17-09, 04:23 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had Geolanders on our GX 470 for over 30K miles. Great tires!
Old 05-05-09, 11:20 AM
kutsyy
Driver

Originally Posted by cssnms
I tried a couple of models on some of my sports cars including the Yokohama AVS. Take this with a grain of salt since it was a few years ago and maybe they have gotten better since, but I was very disappointed with them - traction, wear and balancing issues. I swore them off after that and switched over to PZeros.
Interesting, I used to have them on my Supra back in 90's and I thought that Yokohama's was much better then any others (Pirelli didn't have anything in that size back then, as far as I remember).
Old 05-05-09, 07:57 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

Geolanders on for 30K miles. Great tires!
Old 05-05-09, 08:44 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Zep I had the Yokohama PARADA Spec-X, and i had to change it, Reason they were just too noisy , the traction on curves is ok on dry but really too good on wet traction. Me & My wife were not happy with the noise level in the cabin, The tire has almost worn out quite fast, I think the rubbers are not of that good quality. Within a year use I switched to Bridgestone Dueler H/T and I am extremely happy with its performance. My opinion the only standout tires good for GX would be Michelin & Bridgestones. Absolutely quiet and great grip on wet or dry surface . If you want looks and performance then the above have got both, this is purely my opinion.
Old 05-06-09, 01:26 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Thanks for the feedback mann777.

It amazing the way different people feel about the same tire.

I went to TireRack reviews after I read your comments
because the noise factor is important to me.

Whats wild is after reading say 12 reviews, a couple
of people say they are noisy and then a bunch of
reviews say the Yoko Parada Spec-X are very quiet tires.

I guess now I am as confused as ever!....LOL

But thanks again.

Quick Reply: Yokohama