GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 09:42 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Lets talk about the USA LX470 vs. TLC (previous gen). The LX had a different body. It has the air suspension (this only came on 2006 TLC as a rare option). LX has a richer interior...better materials...better electronics, etc.. There is more insulation in the LX. There is quite a difference because the weight difference of the two is over 200 lbs i believe, which isn't small change. Is this re-badging also? Or is this platform sharing? Does it make that much of a difference?

On a body-on-frame SUV, it is easy to modify the body to whatever shape you want it. The bottom line is that underneath the plastic body, both GX and 4runner share the same platform. is this re-badging? Is this platform sharing? Is there a difference in the way it performs??

You guys talk like the GX and the 4runner are soooooo different, when they are not. Yeah, one has a different plastic body shell. One has richer interior and better electronics. One has the electronic doodads on the shock absorbers. Does this sound familiar? The only difference is that the 4runner is a USA design (just like the Sequoia)...thus, it has a striking different plastic shell. The GX is a fancy Prado. And the 4runner is the USA version of the Prado. The FJ Cruiser is the USA version of the short-wheelbase Prado...hell, they even has the same structural weakness in the frontal crumple zone!! Underneath that plastic shell, you will find that all 3 SUVs have the same backbone, same suspension (except for a few electronic "add-ons"), same powertrain (more or less because Prados come with different powertrain due to location), same transfer case, same traction control system (one can even argue that the 4runner is more off-road oriented), same brakes, etc...........

For me, platform sharing can go both ways and can go as far as Honda Ody and Honda Accord to Camry and ES350 or LX/TLC or GX/4runner. You guys seem to think that platform sharing is when the two share only a few things while everything else is different. Well, what is "platform sharing" when the backbone and vital organ designs are the SAME??? The only major difference is the plastic bodyshell and interior amenities. A fancy re-badging job??

There is no defined answer to this. There is no defined answer to "re-badging". Lexus does not sell much overseas...therefore, their Toyota counterparts dominate. To say that the LX470 is a rebadge of the Toyota LC Cygnus is wrong because is the LX sold in those regions of the world??? No. You have to compare vehicles WITHIN THE SAME REGION when talking about re-badging and platform sharing. So, the 4runner is the Americanized version of the GX.

Different designs? yeah, if you're talking about the plastic body shell. That is all.

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-14-09 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 10:18 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets talk about the USA LX470 vs. TLC (previous gen). The LX had a different body. It has the air suspension (this only came on 2006 TLC as a rare option). LX has a richer interior...better materials...better electronics, etc.. There is more insulation in the LX. There is quite a difference because the weight difference of the two is over 200 lbs i believe, which isn't small change. Is this re-badging also? Or is this platform sharing? Does it make that much of a difference?
The LX470 vs the USA Toyota Land Cruiser is platform sharing. The LX470 and Toyota Land Cruiser Cygnus is badge engineering.

You guys talk like the GX and the 4runner are soooooo different, when they are not.
There are different vehicle. The 4runner comes with a 4.0 engines, optional
part time differential, X-reas suspension...optional v8 (tuned lower than the GX), smaller brakes unless you opt for the the sport package....the GX470 comes with (higher tunded v8), same optional 4runnner V8 torsen diff, adaptive variable suspension...oh yeah the 4runner comes with an optional rear locking differential..seems to me like different vehicles underneath using similar components shared with the Tacoma/Prado.

The GX is a fancy Prado.
Actually...there is no Prado that I know of that uses the GX470's 4.7 V8 engine...so in essence they are still not really a rebadge.

To say that the LX470 is a rebadge of the Toyota LC Cygnus is wrong because is the LX sold in those regions of the world???
Trust me. The Land Cruiser Cygnus is IDENTICAL to the LX470 except for the badges, mirror, extra fog lamp and side marker.. I have included a pic.

It does not matter what region of the world the Cygnus or LX470...they are indentical expect for very, very, very minor parts.

That is what a rebadge is....

Old 04-15-09, 04:14 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Pagemaster...remind me, does lexus sell LX470 in the part of the world where Cygnus is sold?? (Hint: Toyota/Lexus sells Lexus vehicles in those parts of the world as a Toyota, not Lexus since Lexus is more of a USA phenomenon.)
Old 04-15-09, 04:22 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by pagemaster
There are different vehicle. The 4runner comes with a 4.0 engines, optional part time differential, X-reas suspension...optional v8 (tuned lower than the GX), smaller brakes unless you opt for the the sport package....the GX470 comes with (higher tunded v8), same optional 4runnner V8 torsen diff, adaptive variable suspension...oh yeah the 4runner comes with an optional rear locking differential..seems to me like different vehicles underneath using similar components shared with the Tacoma/Prado.
So what if the 4runner comes in either V6 or V8. We ALL KNOW that the GX and 4runner V8 (and LX470) engines are all the same, just tuned slightly differently to give Lexus owners a feeling of "worth". The engine is identical otherwise...it would be shocking if the dyno shows any difference between the two engines! Transmission is the same across the line.

The 4runner's V6 4wd is NOT a part-time system...because you can run 4wd on dry pavement. XREAS suspension is just fancy shocks...springs are still the same. More importantly, the SUSPENSION DESIGN is the same. Don't you get it...the brakes and powertrain are all shared with the GX...the only difference is that in the 4runner, you can get lower priced bits (smaller brakes, V6, etc.)...but you can easily get those fancy brakes, V8, TC on the 4runner too. These things are not exclusive to the GX. So, underneath, it all the same...but the 4runner is cheaper...so, Toyota exhange some stuff to reflect that on their lower end models (but still available on their higher end 4runners).

4runner's rear locking differential is optional...and?? What is your point? Is the GX470 KDSS any different than a regular GX?? No. It is just an option package "add-on". It does not mean that the GX KDSS is a whole different animal, right?

GX470 is a 4runner with a different plastic shell and geewhiz add-ons. The 4runner is a GX470 with a different plastic shell and cheaper add-ons. I would even bet that the body mounts are the same!

Hell, they are even made in the same factory and on the same freaking assembly line!!

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-15-09 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-15-09, 08:15 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL You guys keep arguing academics. Go drive both and you will clearly see AND feel the differences between the vehicles. They don't feel even remotely the same. I was prepared to buy a 4-runner when I was shopping around and I happened to drive the GX and couldn't believe how much difference there was between two vehicles that, on paper, looked so similar. Toyota does a very good job in building real, tangible differences into their vehicles as you move 'upscale,' even with vehicles that share platforms. We're not talking about GM badge engineering here, folks.
Old 04-15-09, 08:29 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you guys want a 'definite' answer on re-badging see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badge_engineering

I say tomato you say .... well you know. All this arguing still does not answer the OP question, who BTW has disappeared from this thread.
Old 04-15-09, 08:46 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by I6turbo
LOL You guys keep arguing academics. Go drive both and you will clearly see AND feel the differences between the vehicles. They don't feel even remotely the same. I was prepared to buy a 4-runner when I was shopping around and I happened to drive the GX and couldn't believe how much difference there was between two vehicles that, on paper, looked so similar. Toyota does a very good job in building real, tangible differences into their vehicles as you move 'upscale,' even with vehicles that share platforms. We're not talking about GM badge engineering here, folks.
I agree...i am sure that there is a tangible difference between the two...never argued otherwise. I love the GX when it came out...almost bought one too! The feel may be different, but it still does not mean that they can't be alike underneath the pretty plastic skin.

Thanks gsobol for the wikipedia:
"The term derives from the trademark emblems (once made of pot metal) fastened inside or onto the outside of the car. While differences were originally confined to the badges used on the model, more typically it involves slight styling differences, usually limited to the headlights, tail lights, and front and rear fascias. More extreme examples involve differing engines and drivetrains.

Badge engineering is common, but it should not be confused with platform sharing within a company. Platform sharing is different from rebadging, as an automobile platform may be used in many different ways and applications, such as using a single platform to produce and sell a sedan and an SUV. Two such products are legitimately different automobiles, whereas badge engineering involves the sale of essentially a single vehicle.

Badge engineering also occurs between luxury brands and their parent companies. A parent manufacturer may take a model from a mainstream brand, upgrade it with more features, technology, luxury and/or style, then sell it as a more expensive model under a premium marque.

Japanese carmakers have followed this practice as well, such as Honda's Acura line, Nissan's Infiniti brand, and Toyota's Lexus marque, as the entry-level luxury models were based on their mainstream lineup. For example, the Lexus ES is essentially an upgraded Toyota Camry, while the Acura TL and Acura TSX are derived from the USDM and JDM Honda Accords. The luxury models, however, are more likely to have more than just cosmetic differences; they often receive improved engines and drivetrains."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm, I believe that i am right...isn't above exactly what i have been writing??!! There is no defined definition...however, as noted above, "re-badging" can mean a lot more than just changes in the emblem as noted above. Different drivetrain is NOT a reason to exclude using the term, "re-badging."

For me, an example of platform sharing is something like Camry and Highlander or Accord and Odyssey. Re-badging is something like Camry/ES or GX/4runner or LX/TLC.

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-15-09 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-15-09, 08:48 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Hmmm, you don't know me too well...i probably know more about your own ride than you do!!
Really? You know more about my own GX than me, the owner, the actual driver?

How did you figure that? Is it because you have videos of yourself playing in the mud?

Just because you like to play in the mud doesn't make you an expert, it only means you have a dirtier vehicle.
Old 04-15-09, 08:51 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by malmon
Really? You know more about my own GX than me, the owner, the actual driver?

How did you figure that? Is it because you have videos of yourself playing in the mud? BTW, i don't do mud...i like to rockcrawl....

Just because you like to play in the mud doesn't make you an expert, it only means you have a dirtier vehicle.
Huh? Playing in mud? What does that have to do with my knowledge of the GX???? Are you confused? When did i ever say this??

I know the GX very well because i researched it extensively...and since it is a 4runner underneath, i know it very well. (BTW, I have some knowledge of the 4runner since i created and run the #1 4runner forum on the net....)

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-15-09 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-15-09, 09:00 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Huh? Playing in mud? What does that have to do with my knowledge of the GX???? Are you confused? When did i ever say this??

I know the GX very well because i researched it extensively...and since it is a 4runner underneath, i know it very well. (BTW, I have some knowledge of the 4runner since i created and run the #1 4runner forum on the net....)
I highly doubt that because there are a lot of things in the GX not found in the 4runner.

The 'playing in the mud' was a question, notice the question mark (?) at the end of the sentence. I didn't quote you on that.
Old 04-15-09, 09:15 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Hmmm, I believe that i am right...isn't above exactly what i have been writing??!!
No, that's not what you were writing, reread your posts.

Badge engineering is common, but it should not be confused with platform sharing within a company. Platform sharing is different from rebadging, as an automobile platform may be used in many different ways and applications, such as using a single platform to produce and sell a sedan and an SUV. Two such products are legitimately different automobiles, whereas badge engineering involves the sale of essentially a single vehicle. - Wikipedia

It states the difference between between the two but your posts combine rebadging as platform sharing. The quote below are from your posts.

GX is a re-badged 4runner/Prado.

Just look underneath...same thing.

No, it is the body that is different...platform is the same. Body = shell. Frame/suspension = platform. What matters most is the backbone and suspension design...in other words, the PLATFORM.
Old 04-15-09, 09:22 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I agree...i am sure that there is a tangible difference between the two...never argued otherwise. I love the GX when it came out...almost bought one too! The feel may be different, but it still does not mean that they can't be alike underneath the pretty plastic skin.

Thanks gsobol for the wikipedia:
"The term derives from the trademark emblems (once made of pot metal) fastened inside or onto the outside of the car. While differences were originally confined to the badges used on the model, more typically it involves slight styling differences, usually limited to the headlights, tail lights, and front and rear fascias. More extreme examples involve differing engines and drivetrains.

Badge engineering is common, but it should not be confused with platform sharing within a company. Platform sharing is different from rebadging, as an automobile platform may be used in many different ways and applications, such as using a single platform to produce and sell a sedan and an SUV. Two such products are legitimately different automobiles, whereas badge engineering involves the sale of essentially a single vehicle.

Badge engineering also occurs between luxury brands and their parent companies. A parent manufacturer may take a model from a mainstream brand, upgrade it with more features, technology, luxury and/or style, then sell it as a more expensive model under a premium marque.

Japanese carmakers have followed this practice as well, such as Honda's Acura line, Nissan's Infiniti brand, and Toyota's Lexus marque, as the entry-level luxury models were based on their mainstream lineup. For example, the Lexus ES is essentially an upgraded Toyota Camry, while the Acura TL and Acura TSX are derived from the USDM and JDM Honda Accords. The luxury models, however, are more likely to have more than just cosmetic differences; they often receive improved engines and drivetrains."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm, I believe that i am right...isn't above exactly what i have been writing??!! There is no defined definition...however, as noted above, "re-badging" can mean a lot more than just changes in the emblem as noted above. Different drivetrain is NOT a reason to exclude using the term, "re-badging."

For me, an example of platform sharing is something like Camry and Highlander or Accord and Odyssey. Re-badging is something like Camry/ES or GX/4runner or LX/TLC.

I appreciate all the work you put into this last post but you still don't seem to understand the difference between platform sharing and a rebadged car. Its okay if you don't. Not every gets it.
Old 04-15-09, 10:03 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Although I thoroughly enjoy this dicussion it is way off base. Open up a new thread guys!

Forum Moderators perhaps it is time to close this one down or at the very least step in and get things back on track.
Old 04-15-09, 10:11 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Amen to that!

Originally Posted by cssnms
Although I thoroughly enjoy this dicussion it is way off base. Open up a new thread guys!

Forum Moderators perhaps it is time to close this one down or at the very least step in and get things back on track.
Old 04-15-09, 10:50 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I appreciate all the work you put into this last post but you still don't seem to understand the difference between platform sharing and a rebadged car. Its okay if you don't. Not every gets it.
Hahaha...does it make you sad that you are once again WRONG?!!

BTW, unless you're totally incompetent with the keyboard, the above post was a quickie. All the editing tools are available when you post. So, it may be hard for you, it is very easy for everyone else.

As for malmon, i feel bad for you...remember to RE-read all my posts again in this thread...it is a good education for you! BTW, what was the point of bringing up the mud thing?? That was my question to you.

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-15-09 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a V8 SUV from Lexus