GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

07' GX with a 1 inch lean to right...crooked car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09, 10:31 AM
CWK
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 07' GX with a 1 inch lean to right...crooked car

Over Thanksgiving holiday I had the misfortune of hitting some falling debris off the mt pass I was crossing. I ran right over a 12 inch + boulder and it caused some pretty serious damage to the car that was not discovered until the car was turned off when arriving home. After 6 weeks at both the Lexus dealer and body shop I finally had my rig back. Fram repaired, skid plates replaced, engine pan replaced, passenger running board, pass rear body cladding, etc.

Since then as you may have guessed I have had one minor problem after another. First a loose piece of body cladding and then gas cap seal gone bad and now my car sits anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1 inch off level from left to right. I drove the car for over a month thinking I was paranoid and then I finally put a tape on it and confirmed I needed to head back in to the dealer. They at first thought it was the body shop's issue but now after seeing the car think it is a elctronic adjustment or something simple that was not reset when all the work was being done. I have the KDSS and I think it has something to do with that and they are not familiar with KDSS since it is a pretty rare option on the GX.

One thing I can say is that I am tired of driving RX loaner cars. The Hybrid is cool but the regular model sucks in comparison to my GX. If they had a LX loaner I would not be complaining but I am sort of tired of driving loaner cars.

As anyone else had a similar problem with their GX. I do not know if this is something missed from the incident with the boulder or if it is a lexus issue. They thought it was a technical bulletin about a spring but that did not fix the problem so they are calling corporate on Monday.
Old 03-22-09, 02:29 PM
pickle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a search of this forum, you will see that the body lean is a common report by many owners, and has several threads dedicated to it. It is usually due to the rear hight control sensors being out of adjustment, or defective. It usually can be repaired by the dealer quite easily, and is not a specific problem to the KDSS suspension system.

I can't say for sure that this is your problem though, as you had some very serious damage done to the vehicle from driving over that rock. It could be other issues, like a bent trailing arm, or a cracked spring, or something else. I guess the GX wasn't meant to hit 12 inch rocks at 50+ mph.
Old 03-22-09, 02:45 PM
CWK
Rookie

Nope 9 inch rocks. That 3 inches went through my skid plate, front frame, and engine pan. If you looked under the car it looked like just a scratched skid plate. I was on a state hwy and if I were not in a GX but instead a car it could be a whole other story so I feel lucky. If the new GX turns into a unibody car I will be very disappointed.

As for the rear height sensors that could very well be it. I know they thought it was a spring because there is some technical bulletin about it. It ended up not being the case. I do like how they have my car for 6 weeks and don't address any technical bulletins unless I call with an issue. You would think with my engine out and frame being laser checked they might do any other needed updates while checking things.

Hopefully they figure it out Monday.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-22-09, 10:48 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the KDSS can also be causing the tilting.

Look here
Old 03-26-09, 05:53 PM
CWK
Rookie

You boys were spot on. KDSS was not set up correctly after my car incident in December and they had to bleed the system and do all over again. I guess it even took more than one attempt because the technical directions are better in some manuals than others but they said it is dialed in now. I am going to give it a week to get some miles and then will measure again. They said that 3/4" was the room of error for spec but if it is off that much the same way again I will be taking back again. I'm OK with 1/4" so we will see.

I think the Lexus techs just don't see many KDSS vehicles and need some addtl training. They do all speak very highly of the system though. It was a must for me upon purchase. In sport suspension mode this SUV can handle. Love the GX.