GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Advice on buying a GX

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 12:34 AM
outbound04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying a GX

Hello all. My wife and I are going to buy a GX 470. We've looked at MDX, X5, XC90, RX330 but decided on the GX. I am a bit biased since I own a 99 4Runner and the GX is the big brother of the 4Runner. I have had no problems with the 4Runner and I hope the GX will be just as reliable.
Anyways, we have our eyes on a 2004 with very low mileage (less than 13k miles). Besides the less powerful engine, are there any other nice features we would miss? Is the power adequate or should be look for a newer model with more HP? We don't tow much except for a utility trailer.
Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-04-09, 06:18 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

This maybe a bit premature, but welcome to the club!

First, I must say it is amazing that you found a 2004 with less than 13k miles. Although I am bit a curious who buys a GX and only drives it 3k miles per year. Do you know the owner or are you buying from a dealer? CPO?

Regardless of what I or others think about the benefit of the extra hp/torque in the 2005+ yr models, based on your needs if the price is right, it looks like it only has 13k mi and it checks out with a mechanic then I would buy it in a second. There are plenty of owners on here that have 2003 and 2004's that can comment on the adequacy of the HP. Aside from the things you already pointed out, there really isn't any other disadvantage to buying a 2004 vs 2005+ yrs. Aside from the engine, it's the same truck. It sounds like you found yourself a special truck and I would not let the few lost ponies sway you from not buying this GX.

That said, given the stated mileage, I would feel that much better about the deal if I knew the owner/seller or it was a Lexus CPO. If you do not have the privledge, I would at least encourge you to take it to a Lexus dealer and get it checked out. Also ask the SA to run a service history. You should also run a Carfax to ensure it is not a salvaged vehicle - I assume you have Carfax or something like it in BC? Check with the seller or the SA to see if any of the TSIB's were performed and in particular the TSIB for the infamous "CLUNK." If not, check the manufacturers date to see when the 6yr/70k mi powertrain warranty expires as it might be cutting it close (FYI - It's 6yrs/70k mi or whichever comes first).

Now go get it before it is snatched up! And don't forget to come back and post pics!

Last edited by cssnms; 03-04-09 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 08:53 AM
outbound04
Driver School Candidate

Thanks cssms for your reply. The SUV is a lease return and we are buying it from a local Lexus dealership. There is warrantee remaining and apparently, the truck was owned by an out-of-town lawyer who flew in and drove the truck to the ski hills in Vancouver.
It’s being detailed and checked out by the dealership. They have rebuilt the front callipers, put in a new battery and repainted the rims. We are going to check out the service records but I don’t expect much on a 12k mile truck. The corrosion on the vehicle was more than expected when we saw it last for a local vehicle. The road salt from winter driving only has caused the paint on the rims to peel. There is also some surface rust but the dealership has assured us it’s only superficial. We are paying a bit of a premium with the lower mileage (around $31k US with our low Canadian dollar) but I think that is a fair price.

We are going back on Thursday for a second look and maybe seal the deal if you guys don’t see anything negative with a 04.
Old 03-04-09, 09:13 AM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Honestly, I'd rather buy a 2006 with 30k miles for close to the same price...

Especially if there's corrosion and heavy brake use. Obviously those are 13k of hard ski-trip miles. (up/down hills, etc etc).

Don't get too caught up on the low mileage...I personally think you can do better.

In this economy you're in control. You might be surprised what doors open if you tell them that you like the price, but not the corrosion. You may find them selling you a newer model for the same price.
Old 03-04-09, 10:15 AM
cssnms
Racer

WOW, on second thought maybe that GX is not so "special" after all.

Based on your response that truck appears to have been ridden hard and put away wet or salty as the case may be. If it was owned/leased by an attorney who only used it during the ski season chances are he probably didn't put the kind of TLC into it that the typical Lexus owner would - like waxing it, washing off the salt after as ski trip etc. Given the issues you describe, he probably let it sit all summer like that. I would be less concerned about the brakes esp if Lexus rebuilt the calipers and replaced the pads all around, then I would be about the corrosion esp if you plan to keep it for any length of time and I say that regardless of the corrosion warranty Lexus offers. The last thing you want to do after dropping $31k on a GX is to have to do body work within the first couple of years. Corrosion is something that once it starts it's hard to get control of. If you see surface corrosion already then more then the likley there is extensive frame corrosion and corrosion to other undercarriage parts.

I am with the Doctor on this one, pass and look for another GX either from a private owner or a better taken care of CPO vehicle. Might have higher mileage, but I think you will save yourself some pain and aggrevation in the end.

Ps. The trick will be trying to prevent yourself from falling in love with it after you go back to the dealer. They will likely have it all nice and detailed for you, then they will lay it on thick with the, "don't worry it's covered under warranty."

Last edited by cssnms; 03-04-09 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 05:56 PM
outbound04
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the pointers, the rust is worrysome. We plan to have the truck up on the hoist so we can take a good look at the undercarriage. Being in Vancouver, the choices for good used "Canadian" GXs are limited and as such, the price points aren't as attractive as in the US market. Searching Autotrader for GXs in WA resulted in a lot of choices. We could import one in from the US but I would incur import tax, air conditioning tax, etc. which can add another $2.5k on to the price.

We will keep you posted.
Old 03-04-09, 10:05 PM
MKIV4EVER
Driver School Candidate

In all honesty i would rather pay the $2.5k extra for a good vehicle then spend one for a vehicle that has corrosion. You can find low mileage GX's in WA for less then $25k so for $27.5k you can get a pretty decent vehicle.
Old 03-05-09, 05:33 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Take a look under the vehicle. If there is rust (and from the sounds of it, there will be plenty) on the frame, rear axle, front suspension, etc., I would pass on that rust bucket and look for another GX. Minor surface rust is ok, but look closely and make sure its not real heavy all over the underside of the vehicle.
Old 03-05-09, 06:08 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like you've received great advice from the folks here already. I have an '03 and absolutely love it. I too went from a 4-runner to the GX and the power difference was dramatic so IMO you probably won't notice the difference of the extra 30HP on a newer model GX.

Lastly, WELCOME TO THE CLUB! I'm sure you'll be rolling in a GX in no time.
Old 03-05-09, 06:44 PM
cssnms
Racer

Good to see you back on here kphu.
Old 03-05-09, 10:12 PM
outbound04
Driver School Candidate

We went to take a look at the vehicle and at our request we had it on the hoist and examined the underbody. There is some rust on the drive shafts and minor surface rust on the exposed metal frame but nothing too alarming. No rust on the body panels like under the doors and wheel wells or the condenser and radiator. In general we feel that the rust is no worst than a 5 year old car with normal mileage.
Damn, the car sure drives nice..... and guess what, my wife thinks we should buy it!!!!!!!!
I am also in favor of the purchase since nice GXs are hard to find up here.
Old 03-06-09, 05:28 AM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

we still have our 98 4runner - although now on loan to my younger cousin... and i miss it. i love the simplicity of it and it has never failed me - well neither has the gx... you will miss the roll down back window! that was pretty nifty. that's about it. the gx is way more roomy, comfortable and way more power. the 4runner is very narrow and every time we switch back to it i'm always amazed at how close the passenger sits next to me. also the gx has this huge greenhouse feel about it while the 4runner windscreen always seems tiny now. either way it will be a great upgrade!! if it's any relief to know - my gx has a bit of that surface rust on the underbody from several trips and extended stays way up north to visit the in laws, however, lexus has always told me that it's normal as well and it has not created concern or problems. i've looked under some other gx's up there and they all look pretty much the same...
Old 03-06-09, 05:51 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by outbound04
We went to take a look at the vehicle and at our request we had it on the hoist and examined the underbody. There is some rust on the drive shafts and minor surface rust on the exposed metal frame but nothing too alarming. No rust on the body panels like under the doors and wheel wells or the condenser and radiator. In general we feel that the rust is no worst than a 5 year old car with normal mileage.
Damn, the car sure drives nice..... and guess what, my wife thinks we should buy it!!!!!!!!
I am also in favor of the purchase since nice GXs are hard to find up here.
That's great! The important thing is that you feel comfortable and it sounds like you did all of your homework. Go get that bad boy!
Old 03-06-09, 08:21 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I traded my 99 Limited 4-Runner with 110K on it for my new 08GX! I loved my Runner and never let me down--solid machine

Now the GX is just BAM--way above the runner---I love my GX
Old 03-07-09, 09:11 AM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

I'm not sure about importing a US-spec vehicle to Canada, but I see that the Seattle craigslist has 11 GX470s betweeen $28K and $32K, whereas Vancouver only has 1 (and it has SOLD in the title!).

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a GX