GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 04:26 PM
Makakio
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have some fun: go to any Toyota/Lexus indy, have them plug into your GX's computer and get rid of annoyances (auto-lock on doors) plus turn on cool features (one-press unlock, etc). There's something like 12 pages of menu items to scroll through and all kinds of variations on operation, lighting, etc. Very customizable.
Old 10-11-12, 05:01 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Auto lock, unlock, with shifter in park, out of park at 12 MPH ETC you can do you self, it is programmable. The menus and procedure is on this website somewhere.
Old 10-12-12, 02:53 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Makakio
Have some fun: go to any Toyota/Lexus indy, have them plug into your GX's computer and get rid of annoyances (auto-lock on doors) plus turn on cool features (one-press unlock, etc). There's something like 12 pages of menu items to scroll through and all kinds of variations on operation, lighting, etc. Very customizable.
Would love to find out what lighting customization one could do.
Old 10-12-12, 08:29 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, I discovered that our "Lexus brick" slides under the driver's seat from behind, and goes way back in there where rear passenger's feet/shoes can't get to it. Still somewhat accessible by the front passenger when driving down the road.

I also bought two canvas-type--actually nylon--Craftsman tool bags from Sears to store all my "necessary" junk behind the second seat. Relatively cheap--everything fits--they don't slide around, and being soft-sided, they sort of "collapse" around the contents if not full, taking up a minimum of space.
Old 10-31-12, 03:50 PM
rtrdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First aid kit

Originally Posted by empinball
What is supposed to be located in the compartment located on the drivers side behind the second row seats (in front of where the 3rd row anchors in on the side)? I see a velcro strap but it's holding nothing. My first aid kit is in the webbing on the back door next to the tool kit compartment and the jack is located in the compartment on the drivers side at the very rear of the vehicle. Perhaps a fire extinguisher or wheel chock????
my brick says that is where the first aid kit is supposed to be although my used 2006 did not have one. I put a store bought one there but it would be nice to have room in the glove box for something other than the "brick".
Old 11-01-12, 12:59 AM
bauer26
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbx10
I love the ignition quick start thing. I gave it a shot today and it was amaaaaaaazing. Very nice. Super thanks!!!!!
rbx10
Same here, never knew it existed before this thread. After enjoying it for a few days I tried it on our other car, an 03 Trailblazer, and sure enough that car has it as well. I drove the trailblazer for 4 years and never knew.
Old 11-01-12, 08:03 AM
Vims
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tzh2231
ha dumb me I never realized that
I turned key to the start position and waiting for the 5 minutes - nothing happened
is it me or my truck ? am i missing something ?
thx
Old 11-02-12, 06:37 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vims
I turned key to the start position and waiting for the 5 minutes - nothing happened
is it me or my truck ? am i missing something ?
thx

You have the turn the key the whole way in the ignition, just like youre starting a regular ignition but you dont have to hold it there to keep cranking if it doesnt start right away.
Old 11-02-12, 09:36 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
If you hold (forward/back) the station button on the steering wheel (while listening to radio), you will hear a beep and the system will seek the next station (not the presets).

On the nav, if you press the map button as you are driving it will display the current street address number. This is very helpful when looking for house address number, especially at night.

On the 6 Disc changer, if you press and hold the rocker on the steering wheel to go forward or backward it will also switch between the different cd/dvd.

Press and hold the mode button on the steering wheel and the stereo will turn on/off.

On the 4Runner there is a tissue box holder under the center consol arm rest and there are grocery bag clips just behind the center consol in the rear seat foot area.

When using the BT phone you can adjust the call volume with the volume buttons on the steering wheel.

Koz
Thanks, I have been trying to figure out how to control the seek from the steering wheel since I got the car. I'm going to try that now
Old 11-05-12, 08:31 AM
Vims
Rookie

Originally Posted by RCsGX
You have the turn the key the whole way in the ignition, just like youre starting a regular ignition but you dont have to hold it there to keep cranking if it doesnt start right away.
Got it thanks
Old 11-05-12, 12:15 PM
EricGX
Driver School Candidate

Turn off engine with lights on. Exit car and press lock on the remote. The lights will stay on a few seconds if you still need to see in the dark. If not you can just press lock a second time and they will turn off immediately

I also like using 2nd start for smoother driving. Sometimes the auto box goes into first without need causing a bit of an uncomfortable jerk.
Old 11-06-12, 12:36 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a another one for the Rain Sensor for increasing the Sensitivity. It is by default deactivated by the Dealer.

Last edited by mann777; 02-27-13 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-07-12, 09:41 AM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great, I was just looking into this.
Old 12-04-13, 08:33 PM
UpStarr
Pit Crew

good stuff, especially the tap start I'll try it on the other cars as well. CLS550 & M45

edit:

I found this to be more of a twist tap with my index & thumb?

Last edited by UpStarr; 12-05-13 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-21-15, 05:38 PM
Levin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to this thread I found my "missing" third row headrest.

Quick Reply: GX470 Secrets