GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 12:02 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llebcire
Along with this:

If you use the key int the door and hold to unlock, the windows/roof open. Hold it to lock to roll them up, then tap unlock and all the windows & roof will vent to about 1/2 inch but the vehicle remains locked.

-Eric
This is a feature that comes on our 2006 Honda Accord as well. I didn't know it worked until a couple months ago after messing around with the key, LOL!

I haven't done the lock to roll up the windows thing yet but always use the unlock feature to put the windows down during a hot, sunny So Cal day. =P
Old 11-28-11, 12:20 PM
headcrash
Driver School Candidate

Default thx

thx for all these tips good stuff
Old 06-08-12, 08:58 AM
NYC470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VictorGX
1) Push the "Menu" button below the NAV screen.
2) Select "Volume".
3) Tap the Upper Left corner of the screen, Lower Left corner, Upper Left Corner, and then Lower left corner (you can do all this while you are moving.)
4) A service menu will appear. Press and hold the "Override" soft button until it beeps and is highlighted.
5) Then hit the "back" button at the top of the service menu. You can now use the Navigation when moving...but once you shut the car off, you'll have to do this whole thing again.

This works for my 2006. I think it should work for an 05.
Does this work for the 2007? I tried it a few times and there is no override screen.
Old 06-08-12, 09:17 AM
ZoeZhe04
Rookie

I bought my GX470 April 2008, up to last week i always hold the back door to load and unload until i was at LOWES and accidentally noticed the markings on the bracket of the door that there is a LOCK and UNLOCK to hold the door Open and Close.
Old 06-08-12, 03:44 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by empinball
What is supposed to be located in the compartment located on the drivers side behind the second row seats (in front of where the 3rd row anchors in on the side)? I see a velcro strap but it's holding nothing. My first aid kit is in the webbing on the back door next to the tool kit compartment and the jack is located in the compartment on the drivers side at the very rear of the vehicle. Perhaps a fire extinguisher or wheel chock????
In our new (to us) 2008 GX, there's no velcro strap in that compartment, BUT there is a large black box that occupies most of the space in the compartment. The black box has a sticker on it that says: "To prevent damage to the satellite radio system, do not use the auxillary compartment." Well, OK, since there's almost no room in there anyway, I guess I won't use it.

Yes, we have XM radio in this truck. What I have a hard time understanding is why Toyota/Lexus installs a very large box for XM, while aftermarket companies, like VAIS have two tiny boxes--each about the size of a pack of cigs--that do the same thing and fit behind the head unit. Odd. Maybe to justify the huge expense of add-on XM--justified by size & weight.

My wife and I both noticed a distinct lack of storage space/cubbies to stuff things. Especially as compared to our Honda Ridgeline which had TONS of storage space, including a lockable trunk under the bed. I have no idea where to put all the stuff we used to carry around in the Ridgeline. I guess some plastic storage boxes from Walmart?

I put our "Lexus brick" in the smaller of the two nets on the back door.

BTW- our wheel lock key is in a little bag in the glove box.
Old 06-10-12, 09:45 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickC5
In our new (to us) 2008 GX, there's no velcro strap in that compartment, BUT there is a large black box that occupies most of the space in the compartment. The black box has a sticker on it that says: "To prevent damage to the satellite radio system, do not use the auxillary compartment." Well, OK, since there's almost no room in there anyway, I guess I won't use it.

Yes, we have XM radio in this truck. What I have a hard time understanding is why Toyota/Lexus installs a very large box for XM, while aftermarket companies, like VAIS have two tiny boxes--each about the size of a pack of cigs--that do the same thing and fit behind the head unit. Odd. Maybe to justify the huge expense of add-on XM--justified by size & weight.

My wife and I both noticed a distinct lack of storage space/cubbies to stuff things. Especially as compared to our Honda Ridgeline which had TONS of storage space, including a lockable trunk under the bed. I have no idea where to put all the stuff we used to carry around in the Ridgeline. I guess some plastic storage boxes from Walmart?

I put our "Lexus brick" in the smaller of the two nets on the back door.

BTW- our wheel lock key is in a little bag in the glove box.
i hear ya on the lack of spots to put things. driving a 2005 MB E320 CDI for a few days and it has these brilliant compartments on the front of the driver and passenger seats. great for flash lights, a first aid kit, my concealed weapon.

i use action packers out back to carry hand tools, first aid kit, recovery gear, flares, etc. in my GX.
Old 06-11-12, 10:58 AM
Raavan
Driver School Candidate

Very useful information.
Old 06-11-12, 10:00 PM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
that's awesome - i wonder if there's a cap you can stick over it. i may just do that. in some countries, you have to have headlights on all the time.
Or maybe put some black electrical tape over it... Im thinking.
Old 06-11-12, 10:10 PM
rbx10
Driver

Originally Posted by ZoeZhe04
I bought my GX470 April 2008, up to last week i always hold the back door to load and unload until i was at LOWES and accidentally noticed the markings on the bracket of the door that there is a LOCK and UNLOCK to hold the door Open and Close.
My wife had asked if such feature had exist, so I showed it to her after grocery shopping
-rbx10
Old 06-11-12, 10:17 PM
rbx10
Driver

Originally Posted by BlairC
i hear ya on the lack of spots to put things. driving a 2005 MB E320 CDI for a few days and it has these brilliant compartments on the front of the driver and passenger seats. great for flash lights, a first aid kit, my concealed weapon.

i use action packers out back to carry hand tools, first aid kit, recovery gear, flares, etc. in my GX.
Yo Blair cool with the action packer, but how do you keep it from sliding across the back when you driving and making turns ? I would like to get one so I can keep my wife/baby's junks organize in the back
Old 06-11-12, 10:21 PM
rbx10
Driver

Thank you all for these secrets. Some i knew and and some left me amaze
-rbx10
Old 06-12-12, 05:02 PM
rbx10
Driver

I love the ignition quick start thing. I gave it a shot today and it was amaaaaaaazing. Very nice. Super thanks!!!!!
rbx10
Old 06-12-12, 06:38 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rbx10
I love the ignition quick start thing. I gave it a shot today and it was amaaaaaaazing. Very nice. Super thanks!!!!!
rbx10
Definitely one of my favorites. I always forget that I have to keep holding the ignition when I drive my wife's car.
Old 10-10-12, 11:27 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbx10
Or maybe put some black electrical tape over it... Im thinking.
I think someone is "overthinking". All you have to do is leave your headlights in "ON" position. They will turn on when you start the engine and turn off when exit the car.

You can also program LPS to have headlights turn off when you open any door.
Old 10-11-12, 10:13 AM
tzh2231
Driver School Candidate

ha dumb me I never realized that

Originally Posted by rainmn
Just tap the key to the start position and the truck will auto start. You don't need to hold the key in the start position until the engine starts.

It's a cool feature, but I find myself trying to do this in my Jeep Wrangler. Needless to say, the Jeep doesn't have this feature.

Quick Reply: GX470 Secrets