GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 05:00 PM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is supposed to be located in the compartment located on the drivers side behind the second row seats (in front of where the 3rd row anchors in on the side)? I see a velcro strap but it's holding nothing. My first aid kit is in the webbing on the back door next to the tool kit compartment and the jack is located in the compartment on the drivers side at the very rear of the vehicle. Perhaps a fire extinguisher or wheel chock????
Old 10-19-09, 05:25 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by empinball
What is supposed to be located in the compartment located on the drivers side behind the second row seats (in front of where the 3rd row anchors in on the side)? I see a velcro strap but it's holding nothing. My first aid kit is in the webbing on the back door next to the tool kit compartment and the jack is located in the compartment on the drivers side at the very rear of the vehicle. Perhaps a fire extinguisher or wheel chock????
not sure, but that's where I put my owners' brick so I can actually use the glove box...
Old 10-19-09, 05:41 PM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
not sure, but that's where I put my owners' brick so I can actually use the glove box...

funny....and I thought the owners portfolio in my former land rover discovery was large.....my Lexus "brick" as you call it is like a copy of "War and Peace"
Old 10-19-09, 06:58 PM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My theory is that the velcro strap is there to keep any stored items from rolling around. I keep a pair of work gloves, flash light, rag, bottle of water, etc. in that compartment in case of a roadside emergency -- and I cinch it all down with the velcro strap.
Old 10-27-09, 10:41 AM
gilgoncl
Driver School Candidate

Inside the glove box, at the top, there is a slot where I think the owner's "brick" belongs. That's where I keep mine.
Old 10-27-09, 11:15 AM
kucathrun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gilgoncl
Inside the glove box, at the top, there is a slot where I think the owner's "brick" belongs. That's where I keep mine.
i think that is the slot for the cd changer if you don't have one. mine is occupied with the 6-disc,

but good for you for saving some space
Old 10-29-09, 08:13 AM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

What is supposed to be located in the compartment located on the drivers side behind the second row seats (in front of where the 3rd row anchors in on the side)? I see a velcro strap but it's holding nothing.
That's where I keep my trailer hitch.
Old 11-06-09, 12:22 PM
bobinsofla
Rookie

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
The ignition thing is cool. Took me a while to get out of the habit of holding it over to "crank" the engine.
Explain please?
Old 11-06-09, 12:24 PM
bobinsofla
Rookie

Originally Posted by gilgoncl
That's where I keep my little helper, Glock 23
Old 11-08-09, 12:43 PM
kario24
Driver School Candidate

Does anybody have the code or know the trick for the Navigation system override. I recently purchased an 05 GX 470 and was told there is a way to override the nav so that you can use it while the car is in motion. Any ideas...
Old 11-08-09, 06:06 PM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kario24
Does anybody have the code or know the trick for the Navigation system override. I recently purchased an 05 GX 470 and was told there is a way to override the nav so that you can use it while the car is in motion. Any ideas...
1) Push the "Menu" button below the NAV screen.
2) Select "Volume".
3) Tap the Upper Left corner of the screen, Lower Left corner, Upper Left Corner, and then Lower left corner (you can do all this while you are moving.)
4) A service menu will appear. Press and hold the "Override" soft button until it beeps and is highlighted.
5) Then hit the "back" button at the top of the service menu. You can now use the Navigation when moving...but once you shut the car off, you'll have to do this whole thing again.

This works for my 2006. I think it should work for an 05.
Old 11-17-09, 07:55 AM
sprale
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobinsofla
Explain please?
The GX, some other Lexus models and other Toyota 120-series (4Runner...), all have this ignition feature. With many older, simple ignition systems, you have to hold the key forward until the engine fires, then release.

With vehicles like the GX and 4R, you can simply tap the ignition in the start position and release. The ignition will continue to crank the starter automatically until it fires.

When I sold the GX and bought a newer 4Runner, I was happily surprised by this common feature. It made losing some of the GX features easier to bear.
Old 11-22-09, 04:30 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinsofla
That's where I keep my little helper, Glock 23
I'm jealous, I can't legally do that out here in CA without a CCW.

Needless to say, you have good taste in cars and hobby items.

Turby
Old 11-15-11, 10:13 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

how do you adjust the auto headlight sensitivity? i want the headlights to turn on at even brighter settings than where it's at now which is likely default. ie i want it more sensitive so the headlights are on more often than not. right now, my headlights don't auto turn on even when it's raining.
Old 11-15-11, 12:31 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
how do you adjust the auto headlight sensitivity? i want the headlights to turn on at even brighter settings than where it's at now which is likely default. ie i want it more sensitive so the headlights are on more often than not. right now, my headlights don't auto turn on even when it's raining.
Can that be done? The sun sensor is on the dash, don't know of any way to control it.

Quick Reply: GX470 Secrets