GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2011 gx 460?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 12:14 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalvano
You guys are missing the point. You are true rarities.

No one cares about off-road, a "true SUV", any of that, except for a very, very few.
I agree that not every person buying a GX is looking for a "true SUV", an off-road vehicle that is capable "right out of the box". And you see a lot of women driving these trucks with Louis Vuitton and Chanel bags on the passenger seat.

But I do not think that we are "true rarities", at least not on this board. I may be wrong.

So, to settle this argument, we should create a poll on the importance of the off-road capabilities and if it influenced the choice of the vehicle (or was a part of the decision making process).
Old 02-20-09, 03:28 PM
ced80112
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph
I agree that not every person buying a GX is looking for a "true SUV", an off-road vehicle that is capable "right out of the box". And you see a lot of women driving these trucks with Louis Vuitton and Chanel bags on the passenger seat.

But I do not think that we are "true rarities", at least not on this board. I may be wrong.

So, to settle this argument, we should create a poll on the importance of the off-road capabilities and if it influenced the choice of the vehicle (or was a part of the decision making process).
I would like a 2011 GX460 with a solid rear axle, KDSS, and no 3rd row seat. If Lexus turns the GX into any more of "a mall running mobile phone booth" than it already is I'll go with the 4Runner.
Old 02-21-09, 09:29 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Could somebody tell me why would toyota downgrade the model number grom GX470 to GX460 from 2011. And very important toyota would not make another engine specs for the GX and they would continue to the similar engine specs model of Lexus LX570, as they had similar one previously to the LX470.
Old 02-21-09, 02:30 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't think anyone but Lexus knows for sure which engine the GX will have...

Craig
Old 02-22-09, 07:47 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

I think the 5th generation 4Runner will be very indicative of the GX power option when it comes out.

The rumor was that Toyota would show the 5G 4Runner at the Chicago and New York autoshows. Toyota did not present a new 4Runner at the Chicago autoshow. May be New York autoshow will be different? Otherwise we most likely have to wait till next year.

But then again, it's only rumors...
Old 02-23-09, 09:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Kalvano,

Lexus has stated, a few different times, that they are confidend in the GX being a traditional body-on-frame SUV even when most of the competition is not. In fact, the only one I can think of is the LR3...I think all others are unibody or car based.

Lexus noted that in their own research they found that many of their customers DO in fact use their GX for towing and moderate off road use and most of them said that they bought the GX because it was really the ONLY mid size luxury SUV with these capabilities.

All in all, I agree with you about 95% of people not caring if a SUV/SAV is 4X4, RWD, FWD, 4X2 or anything else, but Lexus seems very confident in it's ability to continue to cater to the GX customer. I have continued to hear talk of Lexus introducing a 7 passenger unibody SUV above the RX which would give them the ability to cover all their bases in the SUV segment, but as far as I know their plans are to remain with a true truck in the next GX.

All of that said, I know you work for the company and may have different information. Please share if you do
Old 02-23-09, 10:13 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
Could somebody tell me why would toyota downgrade the model number grom GX470 to GX460 from 2011. And very important toyota would not make another engine specs for the GX and they would continue to the similar engine specs model of Lexus LX570, as they had similar one previously to the LX470.

????

Old 02-23-09, 10:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

While it seems odd from a naming standpoint, the new 4.6L V8 will be more powerful and fuel efficient so it is going to be an improvement in every aspect.
Old 02-23-09, 09:26 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Kalvano,

Lexus has stated, a few different times, that they are confidend in the GX being a traditional body-on-frame SUV even when most of the competition is not. In fact, the only one I can think of is the LR3...I think all others are unibody or car based.

Lexus noted that in their own research they found that many of their customers DO in fact use their GX for towing and moderate off road use and most of them said that they bought the GX because it was really the ONLY mid size luxury SUV with these capabilities.

All in all, I agree with you about 95% of people not caring if a SUV/SAV is 4X4, RWD, FWD, 4X2 or anything else, but Lexus seems very confident in it's ability to continue to cater to the GX customer. I have continued to hear talk of Lexus introducing a 7 passenger unibody SUV above the RX which would give them the ability to cover all their bases in the SUV segment, but as far as I know their plans are to remain with a true truck in the next GX.

All of that said, I know you work for the company and may have different information. Please share if you do

As far as I know, they have no intention of going away from the body-on-frame traditional SUV, as that part is a selling point (better towing, etc.). However, off-road prowess is secondary to creature comforts, and while I wish the dang tailgate would get a re-design, the power-fold 3rd row will be a welcome addition for most people, far more important than a solid rear axle.

Don't count on Lexus expanding their range of cars, they are very happy with their line-up as-is. Don't want to make the same mistakes as M-B. They like a small, medium, and large SUV.
Old 02-23-09, 10:04 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Lexus has stated, a few different times, that they are confidend in the GX being a traditional body-on-frame SUV even when most of the competition is not. In fact, the only one I can think of is the LR3...I think all others are unibody or car based
I think Toyota should be fine with a body on frame redesign but eventually for long term success of the Prado and Land Cruiser 200. Toyota will have to go to unibody.

The GX will be just another trim level of the Land Cruiser Prado which sells exceptionally well so when we see the new Prado, we can be sure that we will have seen likely what the new GX will be.

All in all, I agree with you about 95% of people not caring if a SUV/SAV is 4X4, RWD, FWD, 4X2 or anything else
I think most buyers do care.
Old 02-24-09, 07:59 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I don't think that most people care to be honest....
Old 02-24-09, 10:27 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I think we have to wait and watch when the new re-designed GX comes on the floor. You can have all ideas running across the board. And will Toyota / Lexus reduce the Base price of vehicle coming of its stable, it is a question to ponder at this moment of time. I just got a snap of the toyota plant at the long beach distribution centre its 150 acre area is filled with imported cars with Ships waiting to unload., and there is no place. The outlook seems that it is going to be brutal for all car manufacturers
Old 02-24-09, 03:59 PM
kutsyy
Driver

Originally Posted by kalvano
As far as I know, they have no intention of going away from the body-on-frame traditional SUV, as that part is a selling point (better towing, etc.). However, off-road prowess is secondary to creature comforts, and while I wish the dang tailgate would get a re-design, the power-fold 3rd row will be a welcome addition for most people, far more important than a solid rear axle.
body-on-frame means 4x4, solid rear axle and no fold-down 3rd seat [the only exception so fat is 3rd seat in Navigator, but Navigator is way way bigger].

Also, lift gate will highly increase center of gravity (i.e. higher chance on roll over) [GX has center of gravity 1.5" lower than 4Runner]
Old 03-07-09, 02:25 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I think Toyota should be fine with a body on frame redesign but eventually for long term success of the Prado and Land Cruiser 200. Toyota will have to go to unibody.

The GX will be just another trim level of the Land Cruiser Prado which sells exceptionally well so when we see the new Prado, we can be sure that we will have seen likely what the new GX will be.

You are dead wrong. Toyota could stop selling the land cruiser in the USA tomorrow and not care. The LC is built the way it is for a reason, and that type of construction is necessary fro where it is most used, and sold.
Old 03-10-09, 09:53 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kutsyy
body-on-frame means 4x4, solid rear axle and no fold-down 3rd seat [the only exception so fat is 3rd seat in Navigator, but Navigator is way way bigger].

Also, lift gate will highly increase center of gravity (i.e. higher chance on roll over) [GX has center of gravity 1.5" lower than 4Runner]

GX should go the way of the LR3 and have both (and it has a fold flat 3rd row seat):

"LR3 is a car-like unibody but mounted on a truck-style frame. Normally it's one or the other, unibody or frame, not both. A unibody is a way to achieve tight, precise, rattle-free construction. A separate frame is a way to preserve off-road ruggedness and high towing and hauling capacities."

Quick Reply: 2011 gx 460?