GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

90k Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 12:18 AM
MJMeucci
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90k Service

Has anyone had the 90k service performed on their GX by Lexus? I have 89,xxx miles on the clock and recently had it in the dealer for a headlight replacement and they told me that I should schedule the 90k, I had my service advisor print out a description of what would be done and I noticed the quoted price of $3125... I know that a lot of the items on the service list are things that aren't applicable to me since many are only necessary if you use the GX for towing, it looks like the big piece of the quote is the timing belt. Is this price pretty typical for this type of service?

Is there any downside to using an independent mechanic? Can anyone recommend one in the Seattle area?
Old 01-12-09, 05:28 PM
09camryUA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MJMeucci
Has anyone had the 90k service performed on their GX by Lexus? I have 89,xxx miles on the clock and recently had it in the dealer for a headlight replacement and they told me that I should schedule the 90k, I had my service advisor print out a description of what would be done and I noticed the quoted price of $3125... I know that a lot of the items on the service list are things that aren't applicable to me since many are only necessary if you use the GX for towing, it looks like the big piece of the quote is the timing belt. Is this price pretty typical for this type of service?

Is there any downside to using an independent mechanic? Can anyone recommend one in the Seattle area?
Damn 3190. Anyways i will help you out. I work at a toyota dealer and we work on lexus's as well

For a GX470 timing belt, drive belts, coolant, water pump we charge 599

Go to a toyota dealer and save some money.
Old 01-12-09, 06:39 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 09camryUA

For a GX470 timing belt, drive belts, coolant, water pump we charge 599
No need to change the drive belts or the water pump. Just do the timing belt. Should be around $400-$450.

quoted price of $3125
This is rediculous.

Should not be more that $1000.

Timing belt.
Brake fluid (not sure why. All Toyotas don't need this, only Lexus requires it)
Air conditioner filter
Rotate tires.
Perhaps a brake inspection...but that is if only required.

That is about it.

Please scan and email the quote. I would like to see the needles recommendations.
Old 01-12-09, 07:14 PM
MarkG2000
Rookie

HOW MUCH????????
just to change a timing belt?
well maybe for that car but
how about an RX 300 timing belt
2000 yr
Old 01-13-09, 07:52 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
No need to change the drive belts or the water pump. Just do the timing belt. Should be around $400-$450.

This is rediculous.

Should not be more that $1000.

Timing belt.
Brake fluid (not sure why. All Toyotas don't need this, only Lexus requires it)
Air conditioner filter
Rotate tires.
Perhaps a brake inspection...but that is if only required.

That is about it.

Please scan and email the quote. I would like to see the needles recommendations.
Curious, why you would recommend not replacing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt, especially at 90k miles. If the truck has been maintained properly he might see 110k mi or more out of the water pump, but at that mileage it's anybody's guess. 98% of the cost to replace a timing belt is labor and considering he would already be paying for the labor anyway why not replace the water pump? Then he would have a brand new water pump and he would not have worry about it potentially failing in 6 months at the consequence of having to pay for that labor a second time around to access and replace a $150 water pump.

Secondly, I am not sure how you can recommend not replacing the drive belt without seeing it especially at that mileage. If it's the original belt on the truck there is a strong possibility it is showing signs of cracking and if it is cracking it should be replaced. This is easy to inspect and the technician can show the customer if there are any doubts.

In either case I would not recommend tripping over dollars to save pennies.

Last edited by cssnms; 01-13-09 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 09:52 PM
MarkG2000
Rookie

I had the timing belt done at the dealership. I have 135k and the squeaking was deafening.
They wanted 695 but I got him down to 408 and they did the drive belts as well. I asked about the water pump and he said their wasn't any reason to do it. I thought of course he'd say that since if it does go...the labor would be large again.
the technician said the seals and water hoses were in great condition...it ain't broken...don't fix it.
now it's on to the servo...he said one was bad but as I've read it would be wiser to change both. THAT noise comes on every time the car starts but once i hit the A/c button and crank it up to 81 the noise stops. Anywhere under 78 it's like a machine gun.