GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

lexus tech taking my car home???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 01:02 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus tech taking my car home???

just got a call from local lexus dealer after getting main brake ecu replaced. and SA called and asked if he can have his tech take it home tonight, he would like to put at lease 50miles on it to make sure everything was done right. should i let em? or tell them no?
Old 01-08-09, 02:37 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonami
just got a call from local lexus dealer after getting main brake ecu replaced. and SA called and asked if he can have his tech take it home tonight, he would like to put at lease 50miles on it to make sure everything was done right. should i let em? or tell them no?
This type of request is not totally uncommon and I think it is a good sign the tech cares about his work. Heck he could have just given you the car and sent you on your way only for you to potentially come back/inconvenienced with a problem related to the job. He's got my vote, let him take it!
Old 01-08-09, 03:08 PM
schan1w
Driver

you should tell them to drive the car during business hours and return it to you during business hours. why would you want someone driving your car around at night and leaving at their house? who knows where he lives. this is just inviting trouble.
Old 01-08-09, 05:35 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dealerships insurance will cover if anything were to happen to the vehicle. nothing to worry about. like cssnms says he just cares about his work
Old 01-08-09, 06:54 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonami
I wouldn't, why is there a need to take the truck home? does he need it to haul something from home depot? dump a body?

Why can't they test drive it during business hours? Even though insurance might cover any untoward incidents, why take the risk. Any minor damages like small dents and scratches can be easily missed. As a customer, you should not be subjected to any of these BS.
Old 01-09-09, 08:53 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

well... it was too late! tech already left with my car. i asked SA again and he said they wanted to put some/at least 50miles on it. and they can only drive couple blocks during their hours i guess....
Old 01-09-09, 08:59 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Lets hope the tech doesn't "test" the back seat with his girlfriend
Old 01-09-09, 09:10 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what's he trying to test? What did you originally bring the truck in for?
Old 01-09-09, 09:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would think they can tell if the main brake ecu is working properly in a short test drive, unless it was a intermittent problem.
Old 01-09-09, 09:24 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

abs, vsc, vcstrac lights were on. they diagnosed and found that brake ecu needed to be replaced, parts alone costs $1700. i guess they wanted to make sure it doesn't come back......
Old 01-09-09, 09:28 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by malmon
Why can't they test drive it during business hours?
Techs get paid by the work completed, not for testing time... If he blows an hour driving around for 50 miles, and could have completed a brake job during that time, he's just lost money...

Driving it after hours allows him to verify whatever it is he needs to verify, on his own time, and thus no money is lost...

The question remains, however, what is he verifying that the vehicle needs to be driven 50 miles...
Old 01-09-09, 09:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I guess if the abs, vsc, vcs trac lights comes on intermittently, then I would let him take it for a long drive to make sure the problem doesnt come back.
Old 01-09-09, 09:44 AM
Revenge Motorsports
Driver

Sounds fishy, i would report that to Lexus corporate.
Old 01-09-09, 10:06 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Revenge Motorsports
Sounds fishy, i would report that to Lexus corporate.
I assume that was a jk?
Old 01-09-09, 10:24 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

Just got off the phone with SA, and light came back on this morning(tech said) and they found different code now. it has to do with front wheel speed sensor, they checked the sensor and it checked out good he said but there is corrosion in pin/connector so he cleaned it. now they are waiting to see if it comes back(they want to make sure car is cold). At least they saved me 1 trip back to their dealer....

Quick Reply: lexus tech taking my car home???