GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Low Tire Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 05:33 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low Tire Warning Light

It just came on for the second time in 6 weeks. Maybe I have a slow leak or something. Anyway,the first time we took it to the dealer to have them clear it. Who knows how to clear the light yourself?
Old 12-05-08, 05:53 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the cold weather causes the pressure to dip just enough for the warning lights to go on.

Mine came on, and I pumped the pressure to 32 psi. The light stayed on, but I didn't feel like pumping any higher. Some time during my 200 mile trip over the next day or so the light went out. I'm guessing they warmed up enough to make the pressure high enough to shut off the light.

If you think there is a leak, did you measure the tire pressures?

Mine is a 2006, BTW.
Old 12-05-08, 06:18 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

No,I have not got around to it yet but I will try that tomorrow. The last time it happened,I filled 4 tires to maximum pressure.Wife took it to dealer but I forgot to fill the spare tire.That may have been the reason the light did not go off last time.I will check all 5 tires tomorrow.
Old 12-06-08, 05:42 AM
DUKE34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, what a coincidence I'm having the same problem and getting tired of it. I have checked all tires and the spare, all at 32 psi and the stupid light is still on. Its been a little while so I think it should have reset. Its not blinking either which indicates a malfuction, I think. Soon I'm going to disable it. Anyone know how to maually reset it (dissconnect the battery or something)?

Any suggestion other than a sledge hammer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-08, 12:57 PM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

Mine did this once and tire pressures were OK...took to dealer. They fixed and explained that sensors had somehow lost their "programming"...they "re-programmed" them I guess. Car still under warranty, no charge. However, they did say that sometimes (and they did say this was rare) the actual sensors which are inside the tire can go bad. Each sensor is about $100. Also if you bought your car used, there are two settings for winter and summer tires for people up north, if you have the wrong setting this can trigger light to come on.
Old 12-16-08, 10:54 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Quick update.....wife took truck to dealer this morning....Tech looked at it quickly and said the sensor in the spare tire was bad.They are replacing it.They gave her an RX loaner. I keep telling her to ask for an LS460 but I know that will never happen.
Old 12-22-08, 08:56 PM
luckylex
Rookie

Default Don't Ignore!

My advice to everyone is not to ignore this warning light or assume it is a malfunction. This happened to me last January. I assumed it was cold weather, as I had just been to the dealer for regular service. I came back to a flat tire after leaving it in an airport garage for just two days. The tire was fine, best they could figure was a valve stuck when they checked/filled air in the tire.

On a brighter note, that was the first (and so far only) time that I called the free Lexus VIP service. They were wonderful, and it didn't take long for the tow truck to arrive.
Old 12-27-08, 03:20 PM
blizzardgx
Driver School Candidate

Default tire light

many of you asked how to rest the tire light, u.s. gx470's to the right of the steering wheel under the dash on the lower kick pannel just above the gas peddel you will see the button to reset the light hold it for 5 seconds untill the light on the dash flashes ****Note if your tire pressure is + or - 5lbs of each other the light will not reset (i.e. if 3 of the tires are at 34lbs and 1 is 29 it will stay on or if 3 are at 34 and 1 is at 39 it will stay on as well.)

hope that helps you all
and remember keep us techs employed please call 1800-25-lexus for your roadside assistance needs
Old 01-01-09, 11:16 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blizzardgx
many of you asked how to rest the tire light, u.s. gx470's to the right of the steering wheel under the dash on the lower kick pannel just above the gas peddel you will see the button to reset the light hold it for 5 seconds untill the light on the dash flashes ****Note if your tire pressure is + or - 5lbs of each other the light will not reset (i.e. if 3 of the tires are at 34lbs and 1 is 29 it will stay on or if 3 are at 34 and 1 is at 39 it will stay on as well.)

hope that helps you all
and remember keep us techs employed please call 1800-25-lexus for your roadside assistance needs
Does anyone have pics? I just tried and couldn't find anything but the button to switch between two tire sets. I admit my back and eyesight are not what they used to be...
Old 10-29-10, 04:00 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

blizzardgx your reset method dose not work for me the way you explained to do the light just keep on flashing
is there something else i need to do to reset a tire pressure indicator.
Thank you
Old 10-29-10, 04:29 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default If all is working this should be an easy fix

My TPMS light would come on about every 30 days. Right front tire. It would drop down to 29 pounds. I would filll the tire up to 32# and in a minute or less the light would go off. turned out to be a brad in the tire.

Once the spare lost pressure down to 29#. Filled it up to 32# the light went off.

In the winter I put my snow tires and wheels on that do not have a sensor. Lights flashes ( of course), I put a piece of black tape over the light after removing the clear lens and the bezel. Light is blinking all winter, but I don't see it. After the winter put my wheels and tires on that have the sensors, take the dash apart, take the tape off and the light has gone off.

I think that the light will go out on its own if the tires are inflated to spec. My manual speaks to the button above the throttle as an A and b setting to accomodate two different sets of sensors.

Last edited by aljodoro; 10-29-10 at 04:38 PM. Reason: addtion of info
Old 10-29-10, 09:32 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

The s/w is located in the Glove compartment. By depressing B the values stored are for Snow Drive.
Old 02-27-14, 03:11 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by blizzardgx

hope that helps you all
Can someone please help identify where the reset button is? It is definitely not where this quote describes. I have an 08 GX and the light came on after it was well below 0 for a number of days. I have since made sure all pressures are correct and driven many miles, but this light will not go out. And there is no reset button that I can find anywhere under the drivers side dash.
Old 02-27-14, 03:31 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There's no reset button, the system will reset it self after a certain amount of miles and if it's within the correct PSI range it will turn off.

The button under the dash is an a/b switch to switch between summer / winter wheels and tires.
Old 02-27-14, 03:38 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by RCsGX
There's no reset button, the system will reset it self after a certain amount of miles and if it's within the correct PSI range it will turn off.

The button under the dash is an a/b switch to switch between summer / winter wheels and tires.
That was also my understanding of the a/b switch. What is frustrating me is that I aired all my tires up to 32psi and drove about 7 miles so far but the damn light wont go out. I know its a simple thing, but its infuriating me, especially as Im getting ready to sell the car and now this damn "warning" light wont go out! Then I read this guys erroneous post about a non existent reset button, followed with a "and remember keep us techs employed please call 1800-25-lexus for your roadside assistance needs" and my face is practically red from anger, lol!

Quick Reply: Low Tire Warning Light