GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Lexus Experience:

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-08, 09:20 PM
carolesays
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Lexus Experience:

Greetings,
I have just joined you fellow-GX'ers.

I am writing this letter to alert anyone buying a
car and thinking going to a reputable dealership
gives you security and integrity of professionalism.
I will explain what to happen to me to prove my point;
I have spent 4 hours a week for 8 months looking for
my ideal SUV.
On Tuesday AM, the 18th I saw it, it was at a dealer, certified and
95% match of what I wanted! I was so excited after all this time and YES! They still had it on the lot and were willing to accept an offer.
After working my finances and calling several times I made an offer that was accepted on Friday afternoon.
If you love a car as I do this one, you know how elated I was at that point.
Information was taken; my credit card number was given as a deposit.
Since this salesperson would not be there on Monday, when I would have the cash price from my brokerage account and we would do the paperwork when he returned Tuesday morning.
He told me having my credit card number was enough to hold the car but if I could not pick it up right away (I live 6 hrs away) paying for it on Tuesday, it would not matter when I came for it. He said he would take it off the front lineup and he was to do paperwork, he said it could overnight it. Which I thought all would take place on Tuesday with the credit card on file as a deposit, for now. He then said ” I do not need to run your card right now and this is good enough”.
That night I called my family and 2 best friends, everyone was so happy for me!
I am also moving to my dream location on the coast and now have my beloved SUV, too.
Now, comes the learning curve; on Saturday at 1PM less then 12 hours after the deal, I was left a Voicemail telling me the car had been sold to someone else that came in and he was sorry.
When I regained myself, I called (1:23 PM) my salesman and asked; what he was talking about?!
He explained someone else had a deal going and the person came in and bought the car. I said why didn’t you call me right away and see what I could do it wire the money to you, what happened to my deposit and our deal, why didn’t you know this yesterday when you were checking on all the questions and how to hold the car- anyone would know you were doing a deal on this car right then ? Did someone offer more money and it was sold out from me? How could all this happen and you not call?
He said; it just does sometimes and he was sorry…..
I said to him, if you did not know about this, then I feel sorrier for you working at a place like that and if you did know about it and did nothing for your customer whom you had a deal with, then I feel sorry for both of us.
He said I am sorry, but it is gone, it’s sold.
That was it.
In that short period of time without a chance to do anything, it was all over.
That is my story with Lexus of Sacramento and my salesman; Nathan deRutte.
Not only did this sales-person break my heart, but I feel there is something ‘fishy’ about all of this; this dealership isn’t reputable? He failed to do anything he told me he would with the deposit and holding the car? they disregarded the deal already made for a higher offer?
I have lost hours, hours of time, have funds ready for the deal agreed upon and this
not the Lexus reputation I admire.
I am sending this letter out to all parties of interest I can locate, if you see this letter on the web:
Please help me by forwarding on and sharing my story.

By the way, I am searching for a 2007 Lexus GX 470; LOW miles only in ASH BLUE MICA, with gray interior, spoiler and the Sport Package is a plus as is chrome Lexus wheels.

Be more careful and cautious than necessary.
Thank You, Carole~
Old 11-23-08, 03:27 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's really terrible for you. Sorry isn't enough.

From my experience, dealers are far less apt to "hold" used cars since they can't order another just like it if it were new. Maybe they didn't think that you'd really buy? Maybe the salesman wet the bed and messed up. Maybe they got a significantly better offer from a brain dead buyer willing to pay their full price? None of these are "OK" responses from them in my book. That being said, yours sounded "sold" and not "on hold."

Vote with your wallet and tell them to stuff it. Send the salesman and general manager pictures of the GX you buy to rub their noses in it. Absolutely do it.

P.S. Check out this GX: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...08#ht_6755wt_0
Old 11-23-08, 06:23 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Yup that sure stinks! My second call would have been the GM of the dealership and my 3rd call would have been to the FTC had the GM not corrected the situation. For future reference, I would recommend anytime you do a long distance transaction where you are unable to pick up the vehicle right away you should request the sales person send you an e-mail confirmation so that you have the transaction documented in writing.

Although it's moot at this point, but if you were serious about purchasing the vehicle why didn't you just drive to the dealership that Friday or Sat and cement the deal? Assuming you had the means, your credit is good and income checks out most dealers will let you drive off the lot without paying in full. I purchased my GX and drove it off the lot after only paying tax and tags. My bank mailed them the check a couple of days later. Just a thought....

Fortunately for you there are plenty of Ash Blue GX's out there so one is bound to pop up.

Last edited by cssnms; 11-23-08 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-23-08, 08:29 AM
carolesays
Driver School Candidate

Default cssnms

The GM is getting a certified letter, I wrote “Lexus”, wanted to do BBB and someone said you can ‘complain’ to DMV (?) Good idea on FTC, too!
E-mail is an good addition to list, I have done it on another one I was checking out- but
Thought CC info and accepted offer was enough. (I hear you!)
I had just returned from a long haul move to Oregon, next trip was first of week and I was picking up the GX then, he knew ALL this as I had to make the arrangements.
I will BOLO for all those 2007 Ash Blue’s. Right now I am in southern CA traveling up & down the coast, so if anyone has my “particular “GX; I’m on the road.
Thank you all for CLUBLEXUS spirit.
Old 11-23-08, 08:29 AM
carolesays
Driver School Candidate

Default JohnnyRad

Thanks! Going to take all the ‘ideas’ and start a list to trump my “hindsight” one….
When he agreed to my offer, took the card # & my address, etc. I had a commitment.
There are many if’s it’s the way he didn’t do anything after making a deal that tells me
somethin’ stinks.
I will check out eBay site, I have been watching them.
Like the >here’s my NEW and Improved GX announcement idea!!
I have never purchase a car from LONG distance, anyone have a good experience? I’m a might gun shy!
Old 11-23-08, 10:28 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Same thing happened when we were looking for our lx, overall we weren't that mad because right after it sold, someone brought in an lx we liked more, but still should have never happened
Old 11-23-08, 10:30 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

carolesays-
I understand where you are coming from but rest assured, with the SUV glut, there are plenty of GXs on the market. I'm confident you'll find the one that matches 100%.

That being said, you feel you were wronged and I can understand why. With all due respect though, if you didn't have a signed sales contract you don't have a leg to stand on. Although in your mind all the pieces seemed to be in place and you had a verbal commitment, you lack the legal agreement. Yes you are 6 hrs away but in today's technological world, you should have gotten them to fax or scan/email you a sales contract. Upon your signature and return (even electronically - if not fully enforceable) it would show you seriousness and absolute intent.

Car sales are extremely tough and Lexus/Toyota is no exception. I suspect w/out any written commitment they didn't feel strong enough about saying the vehicle was sold - especially since this sounds like your first business dealings w/ said dealer. If I owned the dealer, I can't say I would have treated it any different. Right or wrong, the old "a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush" or more appropriately "cash talks, BS walks" cliches come to mind. I'm not saying this unsympathetically just matter of fact. Personally, I think you (and the dealership) had plenty of opportunity to make the deal solid. If you had and they still sold the car, then I'd be in your court and trying to spread your message.

That being said, I'm sure a (if not the) Lexus dealer will work with you to find another vehicle. I've always found my Lexus dealers to be more than willing to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. They do so to a level on par if not exceeding my local high end luxury dealer.

Good luck
Old 11-23-08, 05:16 PM
floyd56
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus of Sacramento

Let's not get out of hand here. I own a 2008 GX from Lexus of Sacramento and have had great experiences with them. I have purchased 3 Lexus models from them and they have always treated me with the utmost respect. I have also communicated with Nathan deRutte and he is a scholar and very professional. I once worked in the car business and salesman now get a get more abused by customers than in the old days when the classic car salesman was not your best friend. These guys are working on commision and consumers waste they're time by spending hours with them and buying the vehicle elsewhere for a few hundered dollars less. That is lame. Anyhow, I understand your frustration, however I am sure Nathan is not to blame in this situation. Most likely it was a Sales Manager who did not have confidence in your deposit. That is bad, but when I sold vehicles the dealership would not hold used cars as no used car is the same as another. Anyhow, no disrespect to you Carole. I do believe this happened for a reason and you will find your perfect vehicle, even if it is not in Sacramento.

Floyd

Originally Posted by carolesays
Greetings,
I have just joined you fellow-GX'ers.

I am writing this letter to alert anyone buying a
car and thinking going to a reputable dealership
gives you security and integrity of professionalism.
I will explain what to happen to me to prove my point;
I have spent 4 hours a week for 8 months looking for
my ideal SUV.
On Tuesday AM, the 18th I saw it, it was at a dealer, certified and
95% match of what I wanted! I was so excited after all this time and YES! They still had it on the lot and were willing to accept an offer.
After working my finances and calling several times I made an offer that was accepted on Friday afternoon.
If you love a car as I do this one, you know how elated I was at that point.
Information was taken; my credit card number was given as a deposit.
Since this salesperson would not be there on Monday, when I would have the cash price from my brokerage account and we would do the paperwork when he returned Tuesday morning.
He told me having my credit card number was enough to hold the car but if I could not pick it up right away (I live 6 hrs away) paying for it on Tuesday, it would not matter when I came for it. He said he would take it off the front lineup and he was to do paperwork, he said it could overnight it. Which I thought all would take place on Tuesday with the credit card on file as a deposit, for now. He then said ” I do not need to run your card right now and this is good enough”.
That night I called my family and 2 best friends, everyone was so happy for me!
I am also moving to my dream location on the coast and now have my beloved SUV, too.
Now, comes the learning curve; on Saturday at 1PM less then 12 hours after the deal, I was left a Voicemail telling me the car had been sold to someone else that came in and he was sorry.
When I regained myself, I called (1:23 PM) my salesman and asked; what he was talking about?!
He explained someone else had a deal going and the person came in and bought the car. I said why didn’t you call me right away and see what I could do it wire the money to you, what happened to my deposit and our deal, why didn’t you know this yesterday when you were checking on all the questions and how to hold the car- anyone would know you were doing a deal on this car right then ? Did someone offer more money and it was sold out from me? How could all this happen and you not call?
He said; it just does sometimes and he was sorry…..
I said to him, if you did not know about this, then I feel sorrier for you working at a place like that and if you did know about it and did nothing for your customer whom you had a deal with, then I feel sorry for both of us.
He said I am sorry, but it is gone, it’s sold.
That was it.
In that short period of time without a chance to do anything, it was all over.
That is my story with Lexus of Sacramento and my salesman; Nathan deRutte.
Not only did this sales-person break my heart, but I feel there is something ‘fishy’ about all of this; this dealership isn’t reputable? He failed to do anything he told me he would with the deposit and holding the car? they disregarded the deal already made for a higher offer?
I have lost hours, hours of time, have funds ready for the deal agreed upon and this
not the Lexus reputation I admire.
I am sending this letter out to all parties of interest I can locate, if you see this letter on the web:
Please help me by forwarding on and sharing my story.

By the way, I am searching for a 2007 Lexus GX 470; LOW miles only in ASH BLUE MICA, with gray interior, spoiler and the Sport Package is a plus as is chrome Lexus wheels.

Be more careful and cautious than necessary.
Thank You, Carole~
Old 11-23-08, 07:56 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

The sales manager probably took the deal in hand versus hoping you would come in. They see too many people promise to come in who never show.

That being said, the salesman should have called you immediately and told you what was going on and asked if you wanted to put an actual cash deposit down to secure the vehicle.

That's what I would have done.
Old 11-23-08, 08:07 PM
carolesays
Driver School Candidate

Hi!
The response to my situation has been encouraging and
a good lesson for me.
I am glad I signed on even if the GX is not mine…yet!
Thanks Floyd for your remarks on LOS.
I’m really not pointing or even angry just want ‘whoever’
to realize this not the way to do business, even one time.
Nathan knew I was going to purchase this car, I have not written every word we
exchanged. I don’t know who made the sale, but an excepted offer is just that
where I am from; Mammoth area.
I, too have been in the sales business and respect those doing the job.
Now I know WHAT to do, thanks to all of you.
And you all know exactly what I am looking for in my GX, let me know if
you see her before I do and I am ready to buy.

Carole~
Old 11-23-08, 08:58 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow,I feel bad for you,that sucks.The salesman is a jerk and should have called you first if someone after you wanted to buy the truck.Anyway,I am sure you will find another one,there are plenty around.

Also,do not get discouraged if you find a vehicle you want out of state. Three years ago,we bought an ES330 in Connecticut.The following year we bought our GS300 in Nevada. Both deals went very smoothe.
Old 11-23-08, 09:05 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wronglane
The salesman is a jerk and should have called you first if someone after you wanted to buy the truck.
It's quite probable he never knew until he saw the GX was gone.
Old 11-24-08, 08:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The sign in the front of the dealer may say Lexus, but a used car salesman is still a used car salesman. They had a better deal and took it, thats all there is to it.
There are tons of used GX on the market now, I am sure you will have no problem finding another one. Next time you put down a deposit, get something writing and ask the saleman and watch him put a sold sign on the car.
Old 11-24-08, 10:30 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Next time, actually place/pay the deposit and get it in writing. That will prevent this type of situation from occurring again.
Old 11-24-08, 10:46 AM
98Nav400
Driver

It doesn't sound like the saleman is aggresiously at fault to me. Assuming what you were told was true:
1) someone else was also working a deal at the time with another salesman ~ meaning they weren't out advertising the vehicle to other people
2) another salesman sold the vehicle, meaning Nathan lost out on a commission or whatever incentive they use
3) nothing was signed
4) a credit card is the worst possible kind of deposit, should you change your mind there is no way they would be able to keep the deposit (poor info given to you from the salesman)
5) the other buyer made the drive and showed up with money first.
6) I am sure the salesman argued with the powers that be that he promised the vehicle to someone else ~ but lost the argument

Number 5 is the most important. In this economy, its hard to fault a dealer for taking a sale thats right in front of them.

Sorry you missed out on this one, but there are lots more. If you find another I would get it in writing before getting too excited.

Quick Reply: My Lexus Experience: