GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Winter Tires for GX470

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 06:26 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires for GX470

Hey guys.

My girlfriend drives a GX and was complaining today in the snow that she was sliding everywhere. Is there another option of tires that I could buy her? Anyone have good ideas? I'm now in Utah.

Thanks.

LL
Old 11-06-08, 06:05 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvLuxury
Hey guys.

My girlfriend drives a GX and was complaining today in the snow that she was sliding everywhere. Is there another option of tires that I could buy her? Anyone have good ideas? I'm now in Utah.

Thanks.

LL
What kind of tires do you have now? I have Michelin Cross Terrain tires on my GX. They are a great all season tire which have performed well in deep sand and snow. Not to mention they do not look to bad either.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ss+Terrain+SUV
Old 11-06-08, 06:50 AM
Salvator
Driver

My truck slid all over the place with the factory Dunlops... Installed Michelin LTX AT2s awhile back and the ride is much better, although I have not had the opportunity to try them in snow yet.
Old 11-06-08, 10:52 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

The Michelin Cross-Terrains are the way to go. I've had mine on now for 60K miles and they are great all season tires (rain, snow, mud, handling, low road noise, great wearability).
Old 11-06-08, 12:15 PM
98Nav400
Driver

Cross Terrains are great in the snow. I also have a set of snow specific studless snow tires that I had studded (if that make sense) that we put on my wifes Sequoia during winter as we do a lot of skiing and pass travel. I had them on the GX for a bit and it was rediculous. It was 100% solid in all conditions, perhaps even a bit too good. I was able to drive no different than I would in the dry. Just silly fun except that the running boards would become a bit of a problem in deep snow.
Old 11-06-08, 12:40 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

depends on whether you're OK having a separate set of winter wheels & tires. I've been doing this for years and really love having the optimal tires for conditions.

on my performance cars, I run 3-season performance tires in 3 seasons (duh ), and winter tires in the winter. I've done this on our audis, subarus, and even my old 911, with great results. Unstoppable in the winter. What you want is a "studless snow and ice tire".

I'm planning to do this w/my gx as well. I'll probably go w/a blizzak dm-z3 or the pirelli scorpion ice and snow.

IMHO, all season tires are really compromised in the cold/icy stuff. There are degrees of differences between the different a/s tire, but they're "night and day" from a real snow & ice tire.
Old 11-06-08, 03:59 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Thanks for the replies.

I have absolutely zero experience with studded tires but can I find something a bit more "Specific" to winter? I don't think that she minds having 2 sets of tires (her stock and winter) so switching them out is a piece of cake.

Pirelli Scorpion and Michelin?

Tirerack?

Thanks again.

LL
Old 11-06-08, 06:32 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LuvLuxury
Thanks for the replies.

I have absolutely zero experience with studded tires but can I find something a bit more "Specific" to winter? I don't think that she minds having 2 sets of tires (her stock and winter) so switching them out is a piece of cake.

Pirelli Scorpion and Michelin?

Tirerack?

Thanks again.

LL
you don't want studded, IMHO, you want studless winter tires. Search TireRack for winter tires for the GX. They tend to have pretty good reviews as well.

As I noted above, the bridgestone "blizzak dm-z3" and the "pirelli scorpion ice and snow" both look promising.
Old 11-06-08, 10:32 PM
Bob GX
Driver

I also live in UT and drive on the slippery roads around here.

I've used 'winter' tires on various cars through the years, and they all help. The absolute best I have experienced are Nokian Hakkapeliitta - hard to spell but incredible on snow and ice. Do an internet search and you can read up on them.

I went ahead and bought a second set of GX rims so I can easily switch back and forth with the Cross Terrains which are also good in the snow - but the Nokians are designed for snow and are better than all season, IMO.
Old 11-08-08, 05:22 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

I put my money where my mouth is and just ordered a set of Michelin Latitude X-Ices from Tire Rack to go on my orig wheels. I'll keep folks posted.
Old 11-09-08, 06:06 AM
firecatf7
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=LuvLuxury;3982327]Hey guys.

Thanks.

LL[/QUOte

We do quite a bit of driving in the snow...before the first flake flew I picked up a set of OEM GX wheels w/o TPMS and mounted 4 Nokian Hakapaletia SUV snows...a truly awesome combination w/ the GX. When it comes to my wife carting the kisds around in not the greatest of conditions I wanted to give her every advantage possible. By the way just recently sold the truck and have the rims and tires for sale let me know..(billygoatzr@yahoo.com) I have been a Nokian fan for years and they have never disapointed me. I tried a set of Blizzaks (REVO's) on my IS 350 and ran them for 2 months and took them off and picked up a set of Nokian RSI's...what a difference...night and day...let me know if you have any other questions...
Old 11-09-08, 07:16 AM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Nokian Tires? I've not heard of them but I'll do some research online. Seems like they are specific to climate performance with winter being their primary focus.

I appreciate all of the help and reccomendations.

LL