GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GPS Navigation Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 06:28 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Booo!!!!!!!

I just noticed this morning that my coastal lockpick no longer works w/ 13.1. It still gets rid of the "I Agree" button but while in motion everything is grayed out. Does anyone know which newer navigation disc I can use that still allows my lockpick to work!??
Your experience is what has kept me from updating the NAV DVD to a recent version. You must have an older lockpick. I have heard that this lockpick will not work beyond 2005. Coastal had come out with an updated one (lockpick 1B v.2) to work with the newer DVDs, however they are of stock and (supposedly) will be replaced by yet another update.

I am thinking of making a hybrid disc so I can keep using the "backdoor" with new version DVD. Perhaps someone here has found a workaround to use the newer DVDs with old lockpick?

Cheers.
Old 12-17-13, 06:56 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
Your experience is what has kept me from updating the NAV DVD to a recent version. You must have an older lockpick. I have heard that this lockpick will not work beyond 2005. Coastal had come out with an updated one (lockpick 1B v.2) to work with the newer DVDs, however they are of stock and (supposedly) will be replaced by yet another update.

I am thinking of making a hybrid disc so I can keep using the "backdoor" with new version DVD. Perhaps someone here has found a workaround to use the newer DVDs with old lockpick?

Cheers.
Well that sucks. Of all of the times I needed my Navi, I'd say maybe 4 times in 2yrs. it couldn't find a a street name and or street number and I ended up used my iPhone so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Looks like I'm going back to the old disc.
Old 12-17-13, 10:20 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

So I put back in my original disc (Ver. 4.2) and now my lockpick won't work...it does the same thing w/ ver. 13. I don't have to push the "I Agree" button but everything else is grayed out while in motion IE: Navi, RSES, Bluetooth. I swear I hate this POS Navi system!!!
Old 12-17-13, 10:40 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

So I put back in my original disc (Ver. 4.2) and now my lockpick won't work...it does the same thing w/ ver. 13. I don't have to push the "I Agree" button but everything else is grayed out while in motion IE: Navi, RSES, Bluetooth. I swear I hate this POS Navi system!!!
I feel your pain. I upgraded to 13.1 and it still cant find housing development that was built 2 years ago.

I have a garmin zumo for my motorcycle with a portable car suction cup mount. The mapping sofwear is from 2009 and at least it can find most things or get ,me close. Very intuitive to use
I thought since my 2004 gx470 still had the original map software that the 2103 would really wake it up. I find it runs slower but it does have more recent POI .
Old 12-17-13, 10:53 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrblister
I feel your pain. I upgraded to 13.1 and it still cant find housing development that was built 2 years ago.

I have a garmin zumo for my motorcycle with a portable car suction cup mount. The mapping sofwear is from 2009 and at least it can find most things or get ,me close. Very intuitive to use
I thought since my 2004 gx470 still had the original map software that the 2103 would really wake it up. I find it runs slower but it does have more recent POI .

I didn't noticed any difference either. I removed the 4.2 disc and then removed the ground battery wire hoping that fixes it.

I removed the disc a few months back to look at it and when I put it back it, the screen brought up, please wait while it's being loaded. I removed it and put it back in earlier and as soon as I close the navi dvd door the maps load immediately like it's in the memory somewhere, there no more "loading" so to speak. It's almost like ver. 13 upgraded something within the system so it can't be hacked w/ the coastal lockpick.

EDIT: Removing the ground did the trick. I got the "Please insert correct map disc", then when I loaded the disc I got "System loading. Don't turn off the power".

Last edited by RCsGX; 12-17-13 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 11:07 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I didn't noticed any difference either. I removed the 4.2 disc and then removed the ground battery wire hoping that fixes it.

I removed the disc a few months back to look at it and when I put it back it, the screen brought up, please wait while it's being loaded. I removed it and put it back in earlier and as soon as I close the navi dvd door the maps load immediately like it's in the memory somewhere, there no more "loading" so to speak. It's almost like ver. 13 upgraded something within the system so it can't be hacked w/ the coastal lockpick.
In my 2005 sc430 when you upgrade the map software I did lose the the ability to override the navigation. I bought a beatsonic module and installed a console mounted switch so I can at will override the naqvigation and then put it back to normal. Also did a switch to hack the phone so I can use all B/T functions while I am moving as long as I have the switch depressed.

The new 13.1 map software for my GX470 did not remove the override function so I am good with that don't need a manual switch . My truck is under 3 year warranty so I don't want to make to many mods that could cause a problem .

Have you asked locpick for advice ?
Old 12-17-13, 11:11 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrblister
In my 2005 sc430 when you upgrade the map software I did lose the the ability to override the navigation. I bought a beatsonic module and installed a console mounted switch so I can at will override the naqvigation and then put it back to normal. Also did a switch to hack the phone so I can use all B/T functions while I am moving as long as I have the switch depressed.

The new 13.1 map software for my GX470 did not remove the override function so I am good with that don't need a manual switch . My truck is under 3 year warranty so I don't want to make to many mods that could cause a problem .

Have you asked locpick for advice ?
The lockpick works again while in motion. I just needed to remove the ground on the battery.

Regarding the lockpick working w/ v. 13, it won't. Another member said after v. 5, it can't be hacked w/ the version of the lockpick I have and since I didn't noticed a difference it maps between 4.2 and 13 there's no need to spend money on an "updated" lockpick.
Old 12-18-13, 12:11 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The problem is the firmware stored in the loading.kwi file. This firmware is updated occasionally, however I have not completed my database of changes, I can tell you 10.1, 12.1 and 13.1 are all identical firmwares.

Within the firmware I hope to one day be able to patch out the checks for the system speed sensor which it uses to determine the car is in motion. However the authentication of the firmware varies from section to section and I haven't identified the checksum used for any but the first 4 sections.

When you change your dvd to a newer one the firmware is checked and if newer it loads it into ram memory in the car. When you try to insert the lower version disk it fails to find it's newer and doesn't load the old one. By resetting the stereo you get it to reload the factory base firmware instead and thus can get it to load again. Note that the upgrades they made in the firmware such as bluetooth are lost when you downgrade to the older copy. The hybrid disks will work for this reason with newer maps but old firmware. This may be worth it for some to get nav entry while moving.
Old 12-18-13, 02:28 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shadowmite
The problem is the firmware stored in the loading.kwi file. This firmware is updated occasionally, however I have not completed my database of changes, I can tell you 10.1, 12.1 and 13.1 are all identical firmwares.

Within the firmware I hope to one day be able to patch out the checks for the system speed sensor which it uses to determine the car is in motion. However the authentication of the firmware varies from section to section and I haven't identified the checksum used for any but the first 4 sections.

When you change your dvd to a newer one the firmware is checked and if newer it loads it into ram memory in the car. When you try to insert the lower version disk it fails to find it's newer and doesn't load the old one. By resetting the stereo you get it to reload the factory base firmware instead and thus can get it to load again. Note that the upgrades they made in the firmware such as bluetooth are lost when you downgrade to the older copy. The hybrid disks will work for this reason with newer maps but old firmware. This may be worth it for some to get nav entry while moving.

I'll take your word on it. Whatever you just said is way past my knowledge of how our navigation system works.
Old 12-21-13, 10:47 AM
sbentley45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 2007 GX470 and dont beeive the Nav has aver been updated, It doesnt even pull up my address and my home was built in 2002. I see that update CD's 10 thru current updates on here are all the same. So would any of you agree i should just pick up versionn 10 on ebay or wherever and load myself?

Also, we lost our 3 buttn keyless remote key. Best suggestion for repalcement and programming?
Old 12-21-13, 12:22 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sbentley45
i have a 2007 GX470 and dont beeive the Nav has aver been updated, It doesnt even pull up my address and my home was built in 2002. I see that update CD's 10 thru current updates on here are all the same. So would any of you agree i should just pick up versionn 10 on ebay or wherever and load myself?

Also, we lost our 3 buttn keyless remote key. Best suggestion for repalcement and programming?

Up dates from one year to the next adds POI that are new also new mapping is added . They run basically one year behind 2013 update closed out in 2012 and the next update in 2014 will be closed In 2013 . By and large unless your disk version is very old year to year updates are small. if your current version is 2007 then you really would benefit with an update.

The lost three button remote can be replaced on ebay but you will need to be sure you have a working master remote key fob in order to program a new key replacement. I cant speak for the 2007 gx I think you will need the dealer for programing They have a scan tool that they use, In my sc430 I was able to program an extra key by following key vendors instructions. You might look on ebay and ask a vendor about programing
Old 03-30-14, 09:36 AM
marcello30
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navi DVD location

The player is under the front passenger seat.

Squeege[/QUOTE]
Old 03-30-14, 12:07 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by marcello30
The player is under the front passenger seat.

Squeege
Um ok.
Old 09-12-15, 12:16 PM
maimou
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GPS DVD eject

I read on here that all I need to do is slide the eject button to the right and the DVD will come out.
I have done this and nothing happens.
Does the vehicle need to be on? I have tried it on and off and nothing, the disk doesn't come out.

Please let me know how to get the GPS DVD out.

Thanks
Old 09-12-15, 12:43 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

1. Turn the key to ACC
2. Pop the DVD cover
3. Slide the eject button cover to right
4. Press the eject button

Quick Reply: GPS Navigation Update