GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear Center Console's Trap Door STUCK...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 04:57 PM
cazz1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Center Console's Trap Door STUCK...

Club Lexus,

The rear center console's trap door will not opent all the way. The console contains both cupholders and DVD player. I presume that it is obstructed by an object that had fell down the sides preventing the trap door to open fully. This prevents me from using my DVD player.

Need assistance. What is the easiest, practical method to fix my delimma? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-08, 07:55 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having the same problem. I was able to pull out a little kid's scissors but apparently there's something else that still stuck down there as it opens 3/4 way as oppose to just 1/2 way now.

I was thinking about using a coat hanger. Perhaps that might work for you as well.
Old 07-08-08, 06:12 AM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to fish a plastic gift card out of that space, and I found that a long, skinny slot (non-philips) screwdriver did the trick. It serves 2 purposes - prying the two sides of the slot apart enough to see what's obstructing the doors and grabbing the stuck item. I didn't see any way to disassemble the console to make it easier, and I was hesitant to bend anything more than the screwdriver allowed. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-08, 10:45 AM
IVACES
Driver School Candidate

Had the same problem today and got it fixed. You have to remove the entire rear console, which is held in place by 4 bolts. Took me about an hour to figure out how to remove the rear portion of the console, and half as much time to re-install. You'll need a putty-knife, clean rag, and a 10mm socket.

Begin by removing the two trim pieces flanking the upper panel of the forward console as seen in steps 12 & 13 at http://www.emba42.com/lexus/ with a putty knife wrapped with a rag. Unscrew both shift ***** and unzip the hand brake boot. The forward console is in two pieces-an upper and lower. Remove the upper portion of the forward console with the putty knife by gently prying upward at it from just behind the hand brake, where it meets the forward portion of the rear console, then working around it's perimeter. It's clipped to the bottom piece with no screws. Disconnect the wiring harness attached to it and pull it off. Once it's off, you'll see the two forward bolts holding the rear console in place, but don't remove them yet. There is a rubber mat on the bottom of the trap-door storage area of the rear console-remove it with your hand, and you'll see the two bolts holding down the rear of the console, but don't remove them yet. The rear console is in two pieces, forward and rear. Remove the rear end sub-assembly from the forward portion by carefully prying it from the console with the putty knife, and disconnect it's wiring harness. Now remove the aforementioned 4 bolts, and remove the portion of the rear console that contains the trap-door storage bin. Hopefully, whatever is stuck inside your doors will come unlodged by turning this piece upside down and gently shaking it. Reinstall in the reverse order, and don't forget to hook up your harnesses at each step.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-14-08, 03:48 PM
cazz1911
Driver School Candidate

IVACES,
Awesome dude. I did do everything but the two forward bolts prior to writing in to this forum. I was in a hurt locker trying to figure out how to remove the console. I will attempt again based on your instructions. Thanks much; but I will have to wait again until the wife leaves the GX for me to work on. She loves driving it.