GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Gas Prices / Future of the GX470?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 11:52 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Gator, when I had my GX, alot of people command on how big my GX was, maybe it was the height.
Yes it's big, but IMO it's "just right" to steal a phrase from Goldilocks Here's some excerpts from an old review when the GX first came out commenting on the "politely smaller" size of the GX:

Off-road Wizard

All-new Lexus GX 470 gets downright amazing when the pavement runs out

By Jerry Garrett
SPECIAL TO THE UNION-TRIBUNE

November 9, 2002

No, the Lexus GX 470 is not a gussied-up Toyota Sequoia. It's not even the same vehicle.

The GX 470 is an all-new offering – a third Lexus SUV that is supposed to compete with the BMW 4.4i and the Mercedes ML500 in an emerging "midsize luxury SUV" subcategory.

But don't be surprised if the GX 470, on sale this month, steals a few sales from the Sequoia. And don't be surprised if a few designers and engineers over at Lexus sneak a proud, self-satisfied smile over that.

The somewhat enormous (by Japanese standards) Sequoia was designed by Toyota's U.S. arm, which pushes for the autonomy to design its own super-sized vehicles such as the Sequoia SUV, Avalon sedan and Tundra pickup specifically to sate the gluttonous tastes of American buyers.

The GX 470 is the product of the company's Japanese facilities. On some level, you've got to believe the Sequoia's excesses perplex, if not offend, the conservative Japanese thinking that less is more.

The handsomely styled GX 470 is, then, the home-office thinking of how a well-proportioned SUV should look and be sized.

While the Sequoia blew away the constraints of size formerly imposed by Toyota's top-of-the-line Land Cruiser, the GX 470 is politely smaller by a couple of inches all around than the Lexus LX 470.

And that, in the Lexus way of thinking, gives the GX 470 permission to be more capable in other areas – such as agility, adaptability and overall ability........

Last edited by GatorGreg; 06-16-08 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-16-08, 01:09 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Gator, when I had my GX, alot of people comment on how big my GX was, maybe it was the height.
Remember, the GX is based on the 4runner, which is a midsize SUV...so, Gatorgreg is right in that the GX is the "perfect" size for most people's needs. I think that some people may feel that the GX is big inside because of it's efficient use of space.

Last edited by tigmd99; 06-16-08 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-16-08, 01:33 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i never really liked suv's because as many of you have said, most never even see a gravel road, but some people do need them and the people who do, i think, find the gx a perfect fit, i know we do because we want to replace our lx with one(cheaper ). But unlike amny other, we actually use our lx, long tripsinto canda in sick snow storms for hockey, snow in buffalo can be brutal and this thing is a beast. It tows are waverunners, and friends boats, use it carry around our riding mower to mow lawns easy cash money, and some beach houses including ours and our friends don't exactly have the golden brick road and aremade up of actually pretty tough muddy and sandy roads, along with that, our ski house is on an incline and i can tell you our es and rx have a very hard time getting up it with a lot of stuff. So as long as there are people who need the gx, or any other suv, they will still be there. Hell look at the station wagoin, not many people liked those either \and when we all thought the minivan would replace em, they are still being made today, so i guess we will have to wait and see
Old 06-17-08, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Sure there is a need for a SUV like the GX, but out of how many current GX owner really need a SUV like the GX. My bet is less than 25%.
Old 06-17-08, 08:25 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I do alot of commuting, I also need the room and hitch/towing. Therefore, I'm going to hold onto my GX until it's time for a new vehicle. Who knows what will be available in next 5 years or so. Hybrids or better may be more cost-effective to buy.

Interesting chart submitted by kutsyy. The price of gas increased 156% from 6/16/03-6/16/08. Following this trend, a gallon of gas will cost approx. $6.66 in another 5 years, when I'm ready for a new vehicle. That's about $120 to fill an eighteen gallon tank!
Old 06-17-08, 09:14 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Everyone on this forum can wish all they want ... but if Lexus sells less than 10k units over the course of a year, you bet they will discontinue the line. Manufacturing is not a charity.
I am not so sure this makes any sense. Lexus sells less that 10,000 units in the US on LX, SC, GS hybrid and LX hybrid.

The GX is nothing more than a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado rebadged. The interior is the same except some the the front exterior. There are many markets in the world which are served by the Land Cruiser 120...this why they will never kill it....they will just scale down production.

Last edited by pagemaster; 06-17-08 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-06-08, 09:02 PM
sphera
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Remember, the GX is based on the 4runner, which is a midsize SUV...so, Gatorgreg is right in that the GX is the "perfect" size for most people's needs. I think that some people may feel that the GX is big inside because of it's efficient use of space.
Before the LX 570 and the Highlander receiving the trickle down tech, I'd agree. But with the new models' adjustable 2nd row, the GX can't sacrifice cargo space for more passenger legroom.

Hopefully the GX will get the same feature in the redesign.
Old 08-07-08, 10:57 AM
blkjack
Driver School Candidate

I recently traded in a 2005 Mustang GT for a 2004 GX470. Got a great buy at Carmax, by the way.

Although my wife already has a Mercedes ML320, I also needed more room as we just had a baby and the sporty car thing wasn't going to work for me anymore...Car seat, stroller, diaper bag, etc., etc.

I commute 50 miles roundtrip (99% highway) each day for work, and with a lighter foot because of higher gas prices, I'm really not noticing a great difference in the amount I'm spending on gas. I've calculated my average mpg for the Lexus to be at 18.0 mpg on the nose and I was averaging 20.0 for the GT. So, for the major upgrade in luxury and roominess, I would take the GX any day.
Old 08-08-08, 12:34 PM
fog80
Driver

I agree, I am looking at purchasing a used GX470 because after all my research this car seems to be the most fuel efficient non hybrid suv out there.

the navigators and escalades are getting like 12-13 miles a gallon. I can live with 18. That is almost what most minivans are giving anyways and those are 6 cylinder engines.
Old 08-26-08, 11:48 PM
croatone
Driver School Candidate

Gas prices will go down here soon. They have already gone down from $3.79 a gallon to $3.21 here in Houston. I think they should stay this way for a while. Most of the people I hear complain dont realize that the rest of the world pays double than what we pay. I hope that fear doesent proceed to make automakers create more ***** egg auto mobiles. i will cross my fingers. Their will be more efficient engines for 2010 or 11. This should help.