GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Question Regarding Vibration in 2005 GX470

Old 06-07-08, 06:53 AM
jdlynch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Regarding Vibration in 2005 GX470

I just last week purchased a pre-owned 2005 blizzard pearl GX470 with just over 52,000 miles. The car is in mint condition and has every option available. I bought from the dealer that originally sold the GX when it was new and it has all service records and a clean carfax.

I test drove the vehicle and I guess because I was so infatuated with this particular GX I failed to notice a vibration felt in the steering wheel. I explained this vibration to several service advisors hoping for a quick resolution but they all look at me like I am crazy. I saw a similar TSB, but, the symptoms don't mirror all that mine is doing.

I am hoping that if I explain the vibration someone here on the forum might have a diagnosis that worked for them.

It is most noticeable at highway speeds. I mainly feel the vibration through the steering wheel. It reminds me of a vibration I once had in an older car that had a bad wheel bearing. At low speeds I feel a mechanical "tapping" through the steering wheel. My last vehicle, a 2003 tahoe, had a similar feeling and was fixed by greasing the intermediate steering shaft. I must add the vibration is not of a great magnitude, but, is not at all right especially for a Lexus. This is anything but smooth. I might add it seems to be worse when accelerating. I need to verify this, but I don't remember it being as pronounced when not accelerating. I am not even sure if vibration is the correct term to use. It is definitely a feeling only felt through the steering wheel that does not shake the car or even make the steering wheel vibrate back and forth. My analogy of feeling like a bad wheel bearing describes it best, which is a feeling of mechanical friction or "roughness" as opposed to a smooth driveline.

The tires are michelins and appear to be in good shape. There really is no steering wheel shimmy which leads me to believe the tires are not at fault.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could share with me what I might be experiencing. If you need more details to diagnose what is is doing I will be glad to answer any questions the best I can. I would like to go into the dealership able to explain the exact problem without having to go around and around with no fix.

I am brand new to the forum and am grateful to have a community such as this to share experiences with the GX. It is otherwise a great SUV, but, this vibration is going to drive me bananas if I can't get it resolved.

Last edited by jdlynch; 06-07-08 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-07-08, 01:43 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome aboard and also to the GX ownership club.

A little difficult to diagnose your problem as it could be a great many things based on what you stated. My best recommendation would be to visit another dealership for their take on it. Sounds as if it is still under warranty so it should not be a problem.

Some things to consider just for giggles:

1) Tire balance would be number one-easy to have a tire shop check
2) Drivetrain mounts such as engine, trans, transfer case, etc.
3) Wheel(s) out of round-try rotating the tires
4) Wheel bearing-doubtful, but anything is possible
5) Steering Rack-fluid ok? or mechanical.
6) Shaft-difficult to tell without the truck in front of me.
7) Injector(s) dirty-in case it is a rough engine
8) Most failed sensors will trigger a code-most, not all

If you believe it is more engine smoothness vs suspension-try removing the negative battery to reset the ECU. Keep in mind that you will have to go through the window reset routine ( a search will reveal more) anytime the battery is disconnected. Or you could just pull the ECU fuse for 20 minutes.

Keep us updated on what they find.
thanks

Last edited by Pearlpower; 06-07-08 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 12:47 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Also make a tech ride with you and have him experience what you are, that way he can see there is a problem that needs fixing
Old 06-08-08, 11:07 AM
jdlynch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments. i was hoping that maybe someone else who had experienced these problems would share their diagnosis and resolution.

I will add again the vibration is slight, it sort of feels like my cell phone when it vibrates. I feel it mainly through the wood part of the steering wheel.
Old 06-10-08, 11:55 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdlynch
Thanks for the comments. i was hoping that maybe someone else who had experienced these problems would share their diagnosis and resolution.

I will add again the vibration is slight, it sort of feels like my cell phone when it vibrates. I feel it mainly through the wood part of the steering wheel.
I am also experiencing a slight vibration in the wheel of my '05 GX on the highway, mostly at higher speeds. I am also experiencing a droning sound at 70+ MPH. There's a TSB out for this and when I schedule my next service to fix the drone, I'll let them know about the vibration (not due for next service until Sep). If you find diagnosis & resolution before then, please let us know. Tx!
Old 06-10-08, 02:17 PM
jdlynch
Driver School Candidate

I had my Lexus service tech take my GX for a test drive today and he was able to confirm my vibration. He thinks it is in the drive-line. I am also just starting to get the "clunk". He is hoping the clunk fix will also take care of the vibration.

Our plan is to proceed with fixing the clunk, then driving it again to see if the vibration imnproved any.

I am just happy, for now, that he didn't blow off my complaint as normal.