GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus iPod interface, anyone have it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 02:46 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus iPod interface, anyone have it?

My dealer just started offering a fully integrated iPod interface made by Alpine for many new models without Sat radio. Cost $450 installed and $282 for parts. This is suppose to be all of Lexus USA.

Anyone tried this yet?
Old 05-06-08, 03:58 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Well I am going to be the experimental rat! I got the kit and my Lexus dealer printed me out a very detailed install sheets for the GX470! Looks pretty easy if you do not mind pulling out your Nav unit. I have done this before on other rigs so no big deal. This kit is stamped with Toyota # all over it so it's a OEM part. I must say compared to other iPod kits I have installed this one looks top notch with all sorts of wraping and insulation extras. If you put the iPod in your glove box and you want to drill a hole there they give you a rubber gromet to cover the hole and run the wire throught it. Hope it functions as well as it looks.

I will try to get it installed soon and report back.
Old 05-07-08, 09:33 AM
pump142
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this for any year GX or just new ones?
Old 05-08-08, 09:04 PM
rgspb
Driver School Candidate

Default Very interested!

Please let us know how this install goes and how it works. Does this interface with the Nav?
Old 05-12-08, 09:47 AM
jditom
Pole Position

I have installed it and in use for about 5 days. Here is my review.

The good.
Works with nav or not.
OEM so no warranty issues.
Sounds great and charges iPod.
Comes with everything you need, make sure they print you out the install directions.

The bad.
Can't ever use your ipod controls.
Cannot be used if you have Sat. radio.
Expensive $282 form Lexus but I hear the same kit is cheeper from Toyota!
Limited functions, buttons for playlist, artist, album, podcast then you can hit type buttons and also find a genra category. Then hit button 6 to select this category then use steering wheel buttons or tune **** to search then hit select again and it starts playing from the first song.
You can shuffle your whole iPod by hitting button 5.
If you want to shuffle only your selection you hold the scan button down for 1 second.

All in all it's quircky but it fits my needs so I will keep it.
I just ordered a Vais system for my wife's RX so I will install that soon and give you all a good comparison. The VAIS seems on paper to have better features like, iPod controls, work with Sat radio, upgradeable and gets ride of I agree on Nav.

Some pics. The install is not any different then others have posted. You need to remove your Nav unit and glove box.

The kit.

The main unit with part number if you want to call a Toyo dealer instead of a Lexus one. PT545-00082

The main unit zipped behind the Nav unit.

The Y attachment behind the HU.

iPod in glove box.

User interface screen.

Text screen.
Old 05-15-08, 09:14 AM
Mirax H
Driver School Candidate

Would it be possible to get a copy of the install instructions emailed? I just bought this unit and have been looking everywhere for instructions on installing.
Old 05-15-08, 09:24 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mirax H
Would it be possible to get a copy of the install instructions emailed? I just bought this unit and have been looking everywhere for instructions on installing.
Your parts guy should print it out for you.

If not I can scan it and e-mail it to you.

John
Old 05-22-08, 05:38 PM
rgspb
Driver School Candidate

Default Instructions

Originally Posted by jditom
Your parts guy should print it out for you.

If not I can scan it and e-mail it to you.

John
Would you consider posting a pdf of those instructions, or emailing them to me also? They didn't send me a copy and when i called they don't seem to be able to find the instructions.
Old 05-23-08, 08:43 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rgspb
Would you consider posting a pdf of those instructions, or emailing them to me also? They didn't send me a copy and when i called they don't seem to be able to find the instructions.

I am going out of town for the weekend but should get to it Monday or Tuesday. Tell me how to post a PDF or send me your e-mail. If you can't wait do a search on this site and you will find a how to install a VAIS iPod system which is similar except the OEM unit has a better glovebox removal and hole drilling instructions.

Let me know.
Old 05-25-08, 12:25 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jditom
I have installed it and in use for about 5 days. Here is my review.

The good.
Works with nav or not.
OEM so no warranty issues.
Sounds great and charges iPod.
Comes with everything you need, make sure they print you out the install directions.

The bad.
Can't ever use your ipod controls.
Cannot be used if you have Sat. radio.
Expensive $282 form Lexus but I hear the same kit is cheeper from Toyota!
Limited functions, buttons for playlist, artist, album, podcast then you can hit type buttons and also find a genra category. Then hit button 6 to select this category then use steering wheel buttons or tune **** to search then hit select again and it starts playing from the first song.
You can shuffle your whole iPod by hitting button 5.
If you want to shuffle only your selection you hold the scan button down for 1 second.

All in all it's quircky but it fits my needs so I will keep it.
I just ordered a Vais system for my wife's RX so I will install that soon and give you all a good comparison. The VAIS seems on paper to have better features like, iPod controls, work with Sat radio, upgradeable and gets ride of I agree on Nav.

Some pics. The install is not any different then others have posted. You need to remove your Nav unit and glove box.

The kit.

The main unit with part number if you want to call a Toyo dealer instead of a Lexus one. PT545-00082

The main unit zipped behind the Nav unit.

The Y attachment behind the HU.

iPod in glove box.

User interface screen.

Text screen.
I agree with his assessment that the Vais unit ipod interface works great. I have one. No one at my Lexus dealership offered an OEM unit with my 2006.
Old 05-26-08, 04:59 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rgspb
I have no way to do this on a private message.

I have scanned them and will attach them to an e-mail once you send me your e-mail address. Or anyone else who would like a copy send me your e-mail.

Thanks
John
Old 05-28-08, 09:50 PM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I see the SAT button on the '07 or later...how can I use this with our '06 Nav/ML GX? Is it possible?
Old 05-28-08, 11:15 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stoked
I see the SAT button on the '07 or later...how can I use this with our '06 Nav/ML GX? Is it possible?
I would call and ask your dealer if it will work for a pre 2007.
Old 06-12-08, 05:04 PM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed the VAISTech SL2i in My GX and the unit works like a champ! Thanks everyone for your help getting this far! The install was really simple and taking apart the stereo was a cinch. I drilled a hole in the back of the center console, in the box behind the cupholders, used velcro to secure a camera sleeve! The only issue I have is that the "I Agree" function on the nav is still enabled...even after programming attempts! I definitely recommend this unit!
Old 06-14-08, 09:00 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stoked
I just installed the VAISTech SL2i in My GX and the unit works like a champ! Thanks everyone for your help getting this far! The install was really simple and taking apart the stereo was a cinch. I drilled a hole in the back of the center console, in the box behind the cupholders, used velcro to secure a camera sleeve! The only issue I have is that the "I Agree" function on the nav is still enabled...even after programming attempts! I definitely recommend this unit!
I installed this unit on my wife's RX400h and you have to program it to get rid of the I agree. It does not really get rid of it but it will come up for a few seconds and go away as the program hits the button for you. I can't remember how to do it but it is n the manual and easy.

Quick Reply: Lexus iPod interface, anyone have it?