GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Soon to be GX 470 Owner. Well maybe....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-08, 07:20 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soon to be GX 470 Owner. Well maybe....

Last night I found myself at the Lexus dealership looking at a gorgeous 2004 CPO Lexus GX470 w/22,000 miles. I had been to the dealership a week prior but last night I decided to work a deal. Needless to say, the deal wasn't completed until close of business (3 1/2 hours) so it was too late for the final touches to be applied prior to delivery so I agreed to return for the SUV tomorrow or maybe Monday. All the paperwork has been completed and I am extremely satisfied with the final numbers because quite truthfully I know folks aren't flocking to V8's in this economy so I used that to my advantage and nickel and dimed them for every thing! Truthfully, I am glad I didn't take possession of the vehicle last night because in not doing so, I have more time to think things through (even though I didn't feel rushed) but I could use some assistance from seasoned or wiser Lexus owners.

1. How smart was it to buy a 2004 w/22,000 miles as opposed to a 2005? (2006 -2008 were not considered).
2. Were there many technology improvements or changes from 2004 to 2005?
3. What am I sacrificing by not buying the 2005?
4. The salesman continued to reiterate there were minor changes from 2004 to 2005 and from what I have researched he is correct. Is he?

BTW, Besides negotiating a great deal, I also nickel and dimed them for the latest Navigation disc and IPod integration.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old 04-11-08, 08:40 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FROM InternetAutoguide.com

The 2005 model year brings subtle but important enhancements, including a new airbag system for the front passenger. The available navigation system has been updated with improved graphics and new functions. With the navigation system, you can now talk hands-free on a compatible cell phone and change the cabin temperature with a voice command. A new Sport model comes fitted with a dynamic suspension system and special interior and exterior trim.
The available Lexus navigation system works well and has been upgraded for 2005 for improved graphics. An available rear backup camera displays a view of what's directly behind the vehicle on the navigation system's seven-inch LCD screen when reverse is engaged. That can help the driver avoid backing over obstacles, such as a tricycle left in the driveway.
Old 04-11-08, 08:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would have go for a 2005 GX, the big change for the 05 is the engine. Lexus added VVT-i in 05 and an addition 35 horespower or so.
Old 04-11-08, 09:13 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Dangit I didn't want to hear that but I appreciate your honesty and prompt responses.

Here are the options I have (or will have)

Mark Levison upgraded stereo
Third row seat
Backup Camera
Kinetic Suspension
IPod integration
Ride Height adjustment

I am sure the SUV has more but I cannot remember.

What the SUV doesn't have are:

Rear DVD entertainment system
Backup sensor (when you are too close)

A few more questions please.

Can I add satellite radio to 04 GX?
I heard for years how horrible the NAV and voice recognition is on later year Lexus. However, no one has ever said WHAT exactly makes them so bad? Last night while sitting in the SUV I ran a few commands and it seemed to work nicely. I tried "find chinese", find "ATM", find "Gas Stations", etc No problems.
Old 04-11-08, 09:40 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool I have similar model ...

I have a similar year model and option package (w RSES) as what you just purchased. The Ipod integration is an add on, for sure. You cannot add the factory DVD if it is not already integrated. Although, there have been some here who have gone with the 3rd party supplier. You cannot easily integrate the Sat Radio, unless you go with something like Vaistech. And there is no factory supplied Backup proximity sensor as an option (all after-market).
As far as Nav is concerned, I am not a big fan of this implementation. The limited voice commands work (albeit whimsically at times), but do not always recognize proper commands when moving. Also, the business list (even though updated) is so incomplete it can be frustrating. I have used the Acura system, (it too has strange issues) but the business list is far more thorough.
All in all, you will like the truck even with its' minor idiosyncrasies.
The 2005 brought more horsepower (reduced MPG), but biggest advantage was the addition of Bluetooth for the cel phones. I really, really miss that option.
Old 04-11-08, 09:48 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Thank you!

Other than hit or miss on recognizing voice commands and a not-so-complete business list, does the unit provide accurate routes?
Old 04-11-08, 09:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The beauty of the 05 and up VVT-i engine is that, with most variable valve timing engine, you do not lose much gas mileage but will definitely gain horespower. If you look at the 04 GX, its rated for 15 MPG in the city and 18 in the highway. The 05 GX is rated for 15 in the city as well, but actually gain 1 MPG in the highway, 19 MPG on the highway.
The big knock on the Lexus Nav system is the I agree button everytime you turn the car on and the Nav function lock out while you are moving. Both of those issues can be hack by a Vaistech Lockpick unit.
Old 04-11-08, 10:34 AM
tightlinez
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart move.. I'd go look for at least an '05 for the exact same reasons. Good Luck in your search!
Old 04-11-08, 10:51 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

tightlinez,

I don't think I can work them over on a 2005 with similar miles like I did on the 2004 w/22,000 miles. So either I moved forward with the 2004 or cancel the transaction altogether.
Old 04-11-08, 11:17 AM
coldwiz
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an '04. I was well aware of the changes in '05 but went with the '04 anyway. Your gas mileage is going to be about the same, and the '05 will only be a few tenths quicker to 60mph. Bluetooth would have been very cool but it came down to a low mileage GX with options I really wanted - Nav, ML stereo, RSES, spoiler, hitch, and the right color exterior and interior. I am not disappointed but if there are options on the '05 you can't live without then hold out. Otherwise take your deal and enjoy your GX.

And are you sure it has the Kinetic (KDSS) suspension? My dealer was confused between it and the adjustable shock settings. KDSS was new for '04 but I don't think it was a common option.
Old 04-11-08, 11:49 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Hey Coldwiz,

Unless I remember incorrectly there were two controls available to adjust suspension. One was the ride height and the other was the ability to adjust to comfort, sport, and I think there was a third selection.

According to a few websites that I cam across today, this option was introduced midyear so availability depends on when the GX was manufactured.

Check out this link from Lexus which also list the KDSS as an option for 2004.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/GX/2004.html
Old 04-11-08, 12:15 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
Hey Coldwiz,

Unless I remember incorrectly there were two controls available to adjust suspension. One was the ride height and the other was the ability to adjust to comfort, sport, and I think there was a third selection.
Those are standard features on all GX, adaptive suspension and rear air suspension. The KDSS, kenetic dynamic suspension system, is a $3000 option that comes with the sport package. If you have KDSS, you should have black wood trims and silver trims in on either side of the nav. The KDSS system is a active system, it lets you drive thru potholes smoothly when you are going straight, but stiffens up the sway bars when you are taking a turn and it senses body lean, its a wonderful system to have.
If your 04 indeed have the KDSS, thats reason enough to buy the 04
Old 04-11-08, 12:37 PM
brickauto
Driver

I believe having VVTi you'll need premium gas whereas the 03-04 non-VVTi ones takes minimum regular
Old 04-11-08, 01:34 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brickauto
I believe having VVTi you'll need premium gas whereas the 03-04 non-VVTi ones takes minimum regular
That was one of my deciding factors as well and I have an '03 but just last month the engine started to make the knocking noise and I've been using 87 for almost 2 years now but switched to 89 and I can barely hear any knocking on the engine.

As the '03 is now 5 years old, I had to upgrade to 89. But nevertheless, my wife and I love the GX...for now
Old 04-11-08, 02:31 PM
coldwiz
Driver School Candidate

G Man you probably know better than me but I didn't think the sport package with the black wood and silver trim was available on the '04's. The only way to tell is by looking at the sway bars and there may be a KDSS light on the dash somewhere. In the forum below there is a pic of a KDSS front sway bar.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...=35750&hl=kdss

When the ad for my GX said Kinetic suspension I was pumped but it wasn't to be.

GX4704ME - check out the link and see if the '04 has sway bars like that. The KDSS sway bar is almost twice as thick as a non KDSS truck. It wasn't a deal breaker for me obviously but it would have been nice.

Quick Reply: Soon to be GX 470 Owner. Well maybe....