GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Goodbye GX470

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 08:55 PM
pschonig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye GX470

I have owned our 2007 GX470 for the past 15 months. All was great until we took a trip from Phoenix to Disneyland...very uncomfortable front seats, Ok MPG, lack of interior space. Don't get me wrong, this vehicle served our needs for awhile, until it was time to take a real trip. However, the final straw came from the horrible service at Superstition Lexus in Mesa AZ. I took the GX in for it's 10K service. The service advisor called and said the AC filter was clogged and needed to be changed. I didn't ask the price since I had replaced the AC filter on my 2002 Avalanche for $11.00, so I figured it would be an extra $20 for the Lexus...WRONG..$110.00 for the filter plus labor....$330.00 later.. I complained and my advisor said he was too busy to let me know the extra cost. It was not the price, but the idea this guy thought he could spend my money as he sought fit....long story short...I pick up my 2008 Avalanche on Thursday.....we still have the 2007 ES350, so I will be back here for awhile....take care everyone....
Old 04-01-08, 09:30 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Here come the comments , and I could go on and on about personal experiences with the Avalanche but if it makes you happy. Since you expected Lexus to install a filter for $30.00 total then perhaps the Avalanche is best for you. I would love the see the invoice for $330 for just replacing the climate filter. Seems a bit high.

I have driven the GX over 600 miles in one day. My keester and back were fine. But no vehicle is for everyone. Enjoy your Avalanche.
Old 04-01-08, 09:37 PM
tightlinez
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$330 seems way high for just a filter replacement.

Too bad it didn't work out.. Enjoy your Chevy
Old 04-02-08, 06:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Going from a GX to a Avalanche is definitely a down grade of maybe 2 steps, and you think you will get better service from the GM dealers

The seats in the GX is some of the most comfortable seats in the market, maybe you just didnt have them adjusted right, the passager seat can use a few more adjustment option.

For the most part, Lexus dealers are pretty good. I would have use another dealer instead of selling my Lexus for a Chevolet. You should have ask how much it cost to change the filter, or perhaps change it yourself for $30. So, in a way, its your own fault.

Good Luck with your new pick up truck.
Old 04-02-08, 07:21 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems a bit strange. I took the GX on a cross country trip from NY to Colorado. It was the most comfortable 3 days (one way) in any car I have driven, even with a 2 year old in the car. Come to think about it, I preferred that to the 4-5 hours in the airline seat. As far as the A/C filter change and the dealer experience - don't get me started on that one - let's just say, I'm not far behind you. There are some real scumbag dealers out there.
Old 04-02-08, 07:42 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

sounds like a pretty dumb reason to sale the nice lexus and downgrade

if a lexus isnt comfortable for you than theres no hope. your expetations are way high
Old 04-02-08, 09:33 AM
brickauto
Driver

Sorry your GX didn't work out, but I fail to see how an Avalanche as a comparable replacement for the cons you pointed out about the GX.

I tried a 10hr (with 1/2hr lunch break), 600 mile drive from VA to OH last year in my 03 and it was the most comfortable driving experience I had (compared to my ex-Volvo XC90).
Old 04-02-08, 01:22 PM
pschonig
Driver School Candidate

Ok, guess I was not clear. The cost of the AC filter was not $330. The 10K service was $212, the filter/labor was an extra $118, for a total of $330. My service advisor said he was too busy to call and quote a price before he changed the AC filter. The cost is not the issue, it's the lack of courtesy. Thanks for all your inputs, however the Avalanche will fit the needs of my family alot better than an over-priced Toyota SUV. My wife still loves her 07 ES350 and she will drive in until runs into the ground, we are still part of the Lexus family.
Old 04-02-08, 07:55 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"the final straw came from the horrible service....the filter/labor was an extra $118"

you traded a Lexus GX470 for a Chevy because of a $118 charge at a dealer?

sorry but that seems a bit of an over-reaction and throwing out the baby with the bath water.

good luck with your chevy.

i hope you find satisfaction at Chevy dealer vs a Lexus dealer.

Last edited by itsZep; 04-03-08 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 09:19 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Originally Posted by itsZep
"the filter/labor was an extra $118"

you traded a Lexus GX470 for a Chevy because of a $118 charge at a dealer?

sorry but that seems a bit of an over-reaction and throwing out the baby with the bath water.

good luck with your chevy.

i hope you find satisfaction at Chevy dealer vs a Lexus dealer.
actually i think he traded it for extra space and more comfort. I personally think my gx is very comfortable and i also own a 2002 yukon. the seats on the chevy's are definetly wider though.
Old 04-03-08, 07:24 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. When I first looked at the GX I thought that the interior was a bit tight for a relatively large vehicle (when compared to honda pilot, gmc yukon, lincoln navigator, escalade, etc.). Some people might even feel a bit claustrophobic :-) But now, the car is perfect. Just the right combination of size, comfort and luxury without being too bulky, or too pompous.
Old 04-03-08, 07:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am sorry but if my service advisor said he was too busy to call and quote a price before he changed the AC filter, I would have decline that service. Its not like you had to change out that filter or risk causing damage. You should do some research, changing the AC filter is a 5 minute job if you do it yourself.
Old 04-03-08, 08:04 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pschonig
Ok, guess I was not clear. The cost of the AC filter was not $330. The 10K service was $212, the filter/labor was an extra $118, for a total of $330. My service advisor said he was too busy to call and quote a price before he changed the AC filter. The cost is not the issue, it's the lack of courtesy. Thanks for all your inputs, however the Avalanche will fit the needs of my family alot better than an over-priced Toyota SUV. My wife still loves her 07 ES350 and she will drive in until runs into the ground, we are still part of the Lexus family.

I think all Chevy vehicles are over-priced for their poor quality/reliability/service.

Corvette is one exception for it's high performance but now the Nissan GT-R makes most of the high performance sports car look over-priced.
Old 04-03-08, 12:12 PM
Nathan H5
Driver School Candidate

Wow! That is a huge step down! Wouldn't he have been better to go bigger? Like the LX? More room and its still a Lexus.
FB
Old 04-05-08, 05:28 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pschonig
The cost is not the issue, it's the lack of courtesy. Thanks for all your inputs, however the Avalanche will fit the needs of my family alot better than an over-priced Toyota SUV.
Sounds to me like you bought the wrong vehicle to start with and probably had buyer's remorse the whole time and this was your good reason to dump it. If you need a pickup truck for your family's needs, then that's perfectly reasonable to go with an Avalanche. But let's not kid ourselves about this minor service issue being the reason you chucked the GX. It's ok to want a Chevy pickup truck, nothing wrong with that. Although a Toyota pickup truck would give you much better quality/reliability.

Quick Reply: Goodbye GX470