GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to program 2006 GX 470 remote

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 06:58 PM
RyanofCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to program 2006 GX 470 remote

Hi,

I lost my key a few weeks back. I purchased a replacement cut key for $160 and had steps to program the remote but the steps I have do not work.

Does anyone have the steps to program the remote?

Thank you!

Ryan
Old 02-28-08, 07:02 PM
RyanofCA
Driver School Candidate

Default Here are the steps I have

Attached are the steps I have but they don't work...at least not for the 2006 GX 470.
Old 02-28-08, 09:16 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have heard of 2003 GX models only being user programmed. My 2004 cannot be programmed with any of the steps I have come across. Dealer only for me and I have not seen anyone with a 2005 and newer able to program the key themselves.
Old 02-29-08, 10:53 AM
RyanofCA
Driver School Candidate

Default Links to doc

I got the document from here
http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=25617 then click manual

http://www.lexus-parts.com/import/pdf/1.pdf

I will wait a few more days before going to the dealer....thx

Ryan
Old 02-29-08, 11:44 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programming replacement key

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I have heard of 2003 GX models only being user programmed. My 2004 cannot be programmed with any of the steps I have come across. Dealer only for me and I have not seen anyone with a 2005 and newer able to program the key themselves.
Count me as being your first 2005 GX470 owner to "program" the key. I had a bit of a problem at first with programming the key but it was due to the "timing" where you had to press one or two of the buttons within 2 seconds after opening and closing the door...

For the record, by "programming" I mean that I was able to get a brand new replacement key to function with my 2005 GX470 for the following functions:

Lock doors
Unlock doors
Panic button

The key still had to go back to the dealer to have it keyed for the ignition kill start. But everything else worked fine.

-Alex
Old 02-29-08, 10:28 PM
RyanofCA
Driver School Candidate

Alex,

Can you upload the steps you used?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-01-08, 06:20 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RyanofCA
Alex,

Can you upload the steps you used?

Thanks,
Ryan
When I get home, I'll dig out the sheet of instructions that came with my replacement key. I'll keep you all posted...

-Alex
Old 03-01-08, 09:50 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Count me as being your first 2005 GX470 owner to "program" the key. I had a bit of a problem at first with programming the key but it was due to the "timing" where you had to press one or two of the buttons within 2 seconds after opening and closing the door...

For the record, by "programming" I mean that I was able to get a brand new replacement key to function with my 2005 GX470 for the following functions:

Lock doors
Unlock doors
Panic button

The key still had to go back to the dealer to have it keyed for the ignition kill start. But everything else worked fine.

-Alex
Actually , everyone has been able to get it to control the windows ,doors,etc. The ignition being the most important IMO. If all someone wants an extra key for is to open the windows and doors and not start the vehicle then a trip to the dealer is not required.
A SEARCH reviews the steps.
Old 03-01-08, 12:03 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

What is meant by ignition kill start? Is that the aftermarket part where you can start your car while outside the vehicle?

Dsmiles1

Actually , everyone has been able to get it to control the windows ,doors,etc. The ignition being the most important IMO. If all someone wants an extra key for is to open the windows and doors and not start the vehicle then a trip to the dealer is not required.
A SEARCH reviews the steps.
Old 03-01-08, 02:38 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dsmiles1
What is meant by ignition kill start? Is that the aftermarket part where you can start your car while outside the vehicle?

Dsmiles1

Pearl/DSMiles,

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure what the term "PROGRAMMING" meant. Hence the reason for the specific description that I posted.

The ignition kill start is the FACTORY LEXUS ignition starter kill. Embedded in the the on board LEXUS vehicle is a master component/computer that prevents any attempts to hotwire/jump start the vehicle, like in the movies (eg, break glass, open door, rip panel from under steering wheel, rip wires and splice/short the wires...)

The LEXUS system I belive is called the IMMOBILIZER (?) and it will NOT allow the car/truck to start without the decoded encoded onto the KEY FOB. I told a fib to my dealer and told them that my "factory" key stopped working for the ignition, everything else worked, doors unlock/lock/panic, key turns in (locksmith cut it for me...), dealer cheerfully reprogrammed the key no charge.

-Alex
Old 03-01-08, 04:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, might as well just have the dealer just do it all. Takes less than 15 minutes. They have to program the immobilizer so might as well have them do the whole thing in one shot. Some will do it for free, I think I paid $45.00
Old 03-01-08, 06:10 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Yep, might as well just have the dealer just do it all. Takes less than 15 minutes. They have to program the immobilizer so might as well have them do the whole thing in one shot. Some will do it for free, I think I paid $45.00
Called anonymously to my dealer and found it it would cost minimum 1hr service charge and @ $100 / hr. I decided that a little fib would be cheaper in the long run.

-Alex
Old 03-01-08, 06:15 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Called anonymously to my dealer and found it it would cost minimum 1hr service charge and @ $100 / hr. I decided that a little fib would be cheaper in the long run.

-Alex
Alex,they are quoting you book time not actual.

How many dealers did you try?
I went to Lexus of Valencia out here in So Cal for those interested. Perhaps try some other dealers

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-01-08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 08:31 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Alex,they are quoting you book time not actual.

How many dealers did you try?
I went to Lexus of Valencia out here in So Cal for those interested. Perhaps try some other dealers
Hi Pearl,

I specifically told them that I had lost my key and they immediately quoted me a price of $250 plus tax to have the key replaced. I told them that I already have a spare key and I just needed to program, they told me it would be a "minimum 1hr" service charge. So I said thanks and hung up the phone.

I appreciate the follow up posts here Pearl, but this is a done deal already, case closed, as I already have my key reprogrammed at no cost. While I certainly could have "shopped" around to try to get a better price, I didn't.

No harm, no foul, just "passing" along my experience and what I went through when my brother borrowed my GX and lost the key. Other people's experience may vary. Like you they may get a great bargain of $45.00 to reprogram the key by getting a great initial price or by shopping around, BUT if the dealer wishes to "overcharge", then well MY (IMHO) experience may be a bit helpful to others.

-Alex

PS. I didn't bother to POST the directions on re-programming the key last night as, some have suggested that EVERYONE already knows how to do this already. If I'm mistaken and others still need it let me know...?
Old 03-02-08, 11:31 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for sharing, if you could post those I am sure a few would appreciate it.
thanks

Quick Reply: How to program 2006 GX 470 remote