GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

transmission Dipstick?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 02:32 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is the Replacement method from the manual. Hope this clarifies.
Attached Files
Old 04-06-14, 09:08 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Depending on how long you plan on keeping your GX, you may be interested in reading about this:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ATLQT-EA
Old 04-07-14, 11:49 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

That would be a another "Snake oil theory "for the Marketing Department to sell the brand
Old 02-03-18, 08:39 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to do a trans service on our 2004 GX470 soon. We bought it in 2009 with 52,000 miles on it. I have no idea if the trans fluid was ever changed.Truck now has 170,000 miles. I know there are different opinions on whether to change the strainer(filter) or just leave it. If I remove the pan,is there anything in the way such as the exhaust that would prevent the pan from coming off?

Also,I am pretty sure the 2004 GX470 is a sealed transmission but, diagrams from online Lexus dealers show that there is a dip stick. I cannot look right now as the wife is at work with the car.Wanted to get opinions here before I do this.Thanks in advance!!

Note the dipstick on a 2004 GX470 below. I even typed in my VIN on another site,and it showed the same thing.

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...category=21756
Old 02-03-18, 12:48 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I have a 2004. No dipstick. But it wouldn't surprise me if a few did - Lexus seemed to have made changes to the vehicle during a model year and not waiting until a year change. Notice the VIN range on the diagram:

(0211-0308) A750F from 200211 to 200308.
You can just take a look on yours - it appears the handle will show up near the oil dipstick on the passenger side by the firewall. I had the filter replaced last year on mine - if I recall, there is a support that has to be moved out of the way. The bill was about $700.

Chip H.
Old 02-03-18, 02:09 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by chiph9
I have a 2004. No dipstick. But it wouldn't surprise me if a few did - Lexus seemed to have made changes to the vehicle during a model year and not waiting until a year change. Notice the VIN range on the diagram:

You can just take a look on yours - it appears the handle will show up near the oil dipstick on the passenger side by the firewall. I had the filter replaced last year on mine - if I recall, there is a support that has to be moved out of the way. The bill was about $700.

Chip H.
Thanks for pointing out the vin range,I over looked that. I went back and see they do have 2004 transmissions listed without a dipstick. Two weeks ago I changed the power steering fluid and do not recall seeing a dipstick there,I am just not sure.Will check when the truck is here. How many miles did you have on your trans when changing the filter?
Old 02-03-18, 05:06 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Around 150k.

The original plan when I bought it used was to keep it for 3 years. Here I am at 3 years, and I have no plans to sell it.

Chip H.
Old 02-04-18, 07:27 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL, made me laugh. I had the same plan. I have 200K on it, and still rides like new. I really need to do my trans oil service soon.

Around 150k.

The original plan when I bought it used was to keep it for 3 years. Here I am at 3 years, and I have no plans to sell it.

Chip H.
Old 02-04-18, 09:20 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Around 150k.

Chip H.
Originally Posted by gxman1
LOL, made me laugh. I had the same plan. I have 200K on it, and still rides like new. I really need to do my trans oil service soon.
Ha,same for us,we were planning on selling it this year for an RX,but,at just under 170k miles,it runs flawless in addition to keeping us from having a new car payment. The deciding factor is that the engine in our GX is that it is MPFI where the new vehicles are Direct Injected which bring on their own set of issues. The engine always gets top tier fuel along with Techron Concentrate Plus every 5000 miles,drive train fluids were all switched to synthetic two years ago along with spark plugs,Lexus dealership did the timing chain,and I use premium oil filters with a Group IV/Group V oil once a year which,for us,is just under 10k miles.Trans service is the only thing not done...:-(

I crawled under the truck today and there is no dipstick and I see the fill plug as well.It really does not look that bad at all to do.The only thing that may be a problem is the exhaust cross over tube which may have to come out to change the strainer/filter. Can someone confirm if the cross over tube HAS to be removed to get the pan off and out for cleaning?

If it needs to be removed that will be a problem for me doing this because the bolts are so corroded and caked up,they will break or be ruined in the process.
Old 02-04-18, 09:33 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

My 03 has a dipstick. The trans fluid has been done 4 or 5 times in my truck in 170k. It was done at 120k and when I did it again at 165k it looked like it had been done the week before; it was that clean. My differentials are done at the same interval, but they were all filthy.
Old 02-04-18, 09:38 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
My 03 has a dipstick. The trans fluid has been done 4 or 5 times in my truck in 170k. It was done at 120k and when I did it again at 165k it looked like it had been done the week before; it was that clean. My differentials are done at the same interval, but they were all filthy.
Blackcat,your name seems familiar for some reason. Are you some type of car tech or have you done detailed DIY procedures in some forums?

Do you do the trans service yourself and if so,did the short exhaust cross over tube have to be removed to get the pan out for cleaning when doing a filter/strainer change?
Old 02-04-18, 12:02 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
Blackcat,your name seems familiar for some reason. Are you some type of car tech or have you done detailed DIY procedures in some forums?

Do you do the trans service yourself and if so,did the short exhaust cross over tube have to be removed to get the pan out for cleaning when doing a filter/strainer change?
yes and yes to the first 2 questions. I bought the truck at 130ish k. The trans had been serviced at 60,90,and 120k per Lexus history but in an unknown manner. (Drain and fill? T-Tech machine?) Personally, I’ve just done a drain and fill on it, I didn’t even pull the pan. I’m not a believer in replacing screens/filters in transmissions as routine maintenance UNLESS there’s an underlying reason to do it, like your fluid is disgustingly filthy or you’re putting a valvebody in it or something. If the fluid in mine had been dirty, I would’ve done an exchange using either a machine or 2 5 gallon buckets using the trans cooler, but it wasn’t necessary. I have Valvoline Max-Life trans fluid in mine.
Old 02-04-18, 12:15 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackCat81

yes and yes to the first 2 questions. I bought the truck at 130ish k. The trans had been serviced at 60,90,and 120k per Lexus history but in an unknown manner. (Drain and fill? T-Tech machine?) Personally, I’ve just done a drain and fill on it, I didn’t even pull the pan. I’m not a believer in replacing screens/filters in transmissions as routine maintenance UNLESS there’s an underlying reason to do it, like your fluid is disgustingly filthy or you’re putting a valvebody in it or something. If the fluid in mine had been dirty, I would’ve done an exchange using either a machine or 2 5 gallon buckets using the trans cooler, but it wasn’t necessary. I have Valvoline Max-Life trans fluid in mine.
Ok great,I forget where I saw you,but,I knew there was something about you that struck me...:-)

Interesting on not changing the strainer/screen.Here is my situation.Bought at 52,000 miles in 2009. No history on any trans service and we are just under 170,000 k miles. Do you still think I should just leave the filter alone and do a couple of drain and fills at this point?
Old 02-04-18, 12:26 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

I'd give the mechanic the option. If he does a drain+fill and sees metal flakes in the old fluid, I'd want a new filter - so pre-authorize him to do that if needed.

Chip H.
Old 02-04-18, 03:04 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

I'd give the mechanic the option. If he does a drain+fill and sees metal flakes in the old fluid, I'd want a new filter - so pre-authorize him to do that if needed.

Chip H.
Chip,I will be the mechanic for this job.☺ If I was able to see metal in the drained fluid,I have trans problems imo.

Quick Reply: transmission Dipstick?????