GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

help.. windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 04:54 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help.. windshield replacement

my sister has a 2004 GX470 and recently, a chip in her windshield has turned into a crack. she was quoted $1000 and change for the part and 150 for install. does this seem right? seems high to me...

anyone know if this is a good price or should she go somewhere else.. if you say she should go elsewhere... any suggestions where? any nation-wide known windshield replacement businesses? and how much should she be paying.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by GGPIS3; 02-12-08 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-12-08, 06:49 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what??? $1000??? that's insane...but first does she have full insurance coverage? If so windshield replacement is 100% covered i.e. no deductible. In MA there's a couple of shops (Giant Glass and Settles Glass) that will go to your work, home or wherever your at, replace the windshield and bill the insurance company not a penny out of your pocket.
Old 02-12-08, 06:59 PM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

yes, lexus glass is expensive. My ls430 just got new glass for around 1350. I have full glass from my insurance. You can use other glass like PPG for cheaper but watch out for tinting, thickness for noise control and rain sensor pad location if so equiped.
Steve
Old 02-13-08, 07:54 AM
Salvator
Driver

I was quoted $1600 for the glass alone, IIRC... as already mentioned, alternative cheaper glass exists (a glass shop quoted me around $500 for an "OEM" glass, but it wasn't a Lexus windshield...) Fortunately for me, my insurance covered it all, minus $50 deductible...
Old 02-13-08, 08:05 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Because the glass has a rain sensor it is a bit more money vs. others.

On the subject of OEM vs aftermarket when I had the glass in my SC430 of which I care for more than my GX, I compared both next to each other. Studied them as if they were a replacement heart going into my chest. The glass compay brought out a genuine Lexus piece and a Pilkerton piece. I preferred the aftermarket glass as the rubber seal was slightly better IMO and antennae wire insolation was just made better. The glass itself appeared virtually identical with no aberrations whatsoever.

In the end it always feelsgood to say "I prefer the Lexus stuff" but keep in mind that Lexus does not make their own glass and often times aftermarket makes better products. Aftermarket also makes worse products and there are different makes of glass so my comment relates only to the aforementioned company.
Old 02-13-08, 08:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

PPG and Pilkerton are couple of the better after market glass companies, they make oem glass for many auto manufacturers. As far as I know their windshield is not a acoustic windshield. I am not sure if the 04 GX even have a acoustic windshield, I know the 05 did. Like pearlpower said, sometimes their quality can be better than oem but missing some features. Such as the water repellent glass on GX's side windows, the PPG glass do not have that.
Old 02-13-08, 09:45 PM
rho72
Driver School Candidate

Just had mine replaced with an OEM windshield. Ended up being $1485 ($1160 for the windshield, $200 for installation, + sales tax). Fortunately, only $50 came out of my pocket with insurance coverage.
Old 02-14-08, 07:42 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Had the windshield of my LX done in Oct '07 and Oct '06, both times at Scottsdale lexus. First time, it ran $996 complete, second time, around $1250. The price of the glass alone rose by $300 in one year! The OEM glass has better sound insulation, is hydrophobic, and UV absorbing. On the LX, the installation is unusual in that there are 4 rivets on both vertical edges. Many installers haven't seen this before and install it incorrectly, causing whistling, water leaks, and to one guy, they bent up the metal on the body. It requires a special rivet gun to install, not your normal hardware store type. Not sure about the GX windshield installation. Someone with a factory manual could shed more light on the complexity.
Old 02-15-08, 12:29 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just initiated a claim with Allstate

I just filed a claim with Allstate for the windshield below:

A bird hit my A pillar while moving at freeway speeds with no intial visable damage. But by the end of our trip to the mountains...the crack had grown to what you see above.

Allstate will use factory glass and it will only cost me $100 bucks for the deductable. Not too bad...I also love new glass...no nics, soooo clear. I can't wait.

Old 03-03-08, 07:33 PM
Roger108

got mine replaced twice, insurance took care of it... 1000 bucks seems about right if you have to pay for it
Old 03-05-08, 09:29 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My front windshield got hit last night driving home in a snowstorm and by the time I got home it turned into a 2 foot long crack. My insurance company (USAA) is now telling me it will not cover OEM replacement because my vehicle is over 2 years old! I have never had this problem before with them, does this sound right? I have had full coverage with them for both our vehicles plus our house and other property for almost 20 years. I have been given a quote of about $1050 to replace it with Lexus glass.
Old 03-05-08, 10:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

A lot of insurance companies wont replace with oem windshield. Just go aftermarket, there is really not much of a difference.
Old 03-05-08, 05:26 PM
brickauto
Driver

USAA are the worst insurance company I have dealt with, firstly I'm not insured with them but their client did hit my wife's car last year. When we filed a claim against them they turned around and claimed that their client was pushed into our car by a third car! For a small repair of $150 they denied us
Old 03-06-08, 05:16 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

At this point I am starting to question my relationship with USAA. No accidents or tickets and they will not replace with OEM glass. I only ask they maintain my car like I do. I only use the dealer for all maintenance and only use Lexus parts.
Old 03-06-08, 11:34 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

$1K sounds reasonable for the glass. State Farm replaced mine with new OEM w/rain sensor. No deductable. Just remember to let it set for 24 hours after installation if you can. Vibrations could loosen it a little.

Quick Reply: help.. windshield replacement