GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

help.. windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 06:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
The problem with having an aftermarket windshield or any non Lexus glass on a vehicle is when you trade it in, most Lexus/Toyota dealers will notice that the glass is not oem. That will hurt resale value. I know when I used to look for a used vehicle, I always check all the glass for the oem name. No matter what make of vehicle.
I consider a windshield as a wear and tear item, you will have to replace it sooner or later. Does it hurt the resale value if the car doesnt have oem tires or battery.
Old 07-10-09, 04:29 AM
LexusFury
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Good read, I had heard about this last year when I was researching USAA after my very bad experience with customer service. I would be curious to know if things have changed since he left.
Originally Posted by The G Man
PPG and Pilkington aftermarket windshields are among the best, they make alot of windshields for new cars. They have factory options such as UV block and acoustic layers. BTW the GX's windshield do not have the rain repellent coating, only the side window does. Again I had better luck with these windshield and many other owners had the same experience.
which do you rather PPG TINT or PPG SOLEX DUPLATE SAFETY GLASS? Two weeks ago I went to safelite company in the location (california), I checked glass out in the warehouse. I saw glasses, there are lots of glasses which they made FY or XYS in china. I told them that I didn't wanna any glasses who made in china. I asked manager that if i wanted to have PPG glass. He could do it when he order PPG glass from PPG company. they shippped item out to safelite. He showed their cars to me, I looked at these glasses, brand name. It is exactly PPG glass that they made in usa like lexus, bmw, or merc-benz and that they made it without logon. Next day Safelite Mobile technician came to my house, I asked them again, I needed to see glass first, I repeat ask him what kind of adhsive do they use? he showed it to me. that he used sika adhsive, it is best sika of the top. I agreed with him that before he installed it for my lexus. i paid 239.81 dollars which i saved lots of 1700 dollars from lexus dealership. It was not bad.
Old 07-10-09, 05:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the tinted PPG glass, tinted only on the top portion, with rain sensor cut out and acoustic layer.
Old 07-10-09, 07:24 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by brickauto
USAA are the worst insurance company I have dealt with, firstly I'm not insured with them but their client did hit my wife's car last year. When we filed a claim against them they turned around and claimed that their client was pushed into our car by a third car! For a small repair of $150 they denied us
I am a client of their's and IMO I can say without a shadow of a doubt they are by far and away one of the best insurance companies and banks out there. And unless you have definitive proof they or any other insurance company are not going to pay your claim.

And although the 3 yr old blog that was posted makes for an interesting read it does nothing to persuade me to do anything other than continue to my relationship that I have had with USAA over the last 20 yrs. My auto, life, homeowners insurance and an auto loan are all through USAA. I have had a number of auto claims and interactions during this time to include several over the last 3 yrs and USAA has been nothing but superb on every front. I can have my car fixed at the shop of my choice no questions asked and new parts are always replaced with OEM. USAA also just ranked #1 out of 145 companies in MSN's Customer Service Hall of Fame and #2 in customer service in Business Week.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...lide-number=10

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/interac...2009/index.asp

On a somewhat related front, USAA will repair cracked/chipped windshields at no charge if they are not too big.
Old 07-10-09, 09:05 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately you will get different treatment if you are the client of [insert name] insurance co. or if you are the plaintiff against the said insurance co. Hence the difference in experience with the same insurance co. BTW, that's true about any insurance co.
Old 07-10-09, 02:45 PM
LexusFury
Driver School Candidate

I have the tinted PPG glass, tinted only on the top portion, with rain sensor cut out and acoustic layer.
oh. I have PPG SOLEX.
Old 07-10-09, 04:30 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a non-Lexus shop do it...have them watch this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2SSpyqQrk
Old 07-12-09, 12:14 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by itsZep
If you have a non-Lexus shop do it...have them watch this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2SSpyqQrk
Not much of a professional installer. He doesn't use fender covers on the front fenders. He could easily scratch the front fender when he is reaching over it to remove the cowling. I don't care if he may not have a belt buckle, its still very easy to scratch that area.
He should also not be using the side floorboards. He should have a step ladder set up on each side of the GX.
Old 08-18-09, 07:24 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info on this thread. I have a 2008 IS 350 I purchased in January which now has a crack halfway across the windshield.

Originally Posted by VictorGX
Before calling my insurance company I called my Lexus dealer to get a recommendation for an installer. I then called my insurance company and filed the claim. I told them I wanted to use "Jeff's Auto Glass" and they said that was fine since he was on the approved list. I also told them I wanted Lexus-brand glass. The insurance lady had to get manager approval for it, but called back within 10 minutes with the approval. The glass was then shipped to the Lexus dealer and the installer picked it up and brought it to my house and installed it in my driveway....
When I called Nationwide, I was transferred straight to safelite. I'm not sure if my Insurance would go through anyone but Safelite for the Windshield replacement. The lady did tell me there would be a $700 price difference between going with OEM glass so I'm pretty sure I would have to pay $800 total out of pocket if I wanted to do this ($100 deductible).

PPG and Pilkington aftermarket windshields are among the best, they make alot of windshields for new cars. They have factory options such as UV block and acoustic layers. BTW the GX's windshield do not have the rain repellent coating, only the side window does. Again I had better luck with these windshield and many other owners had the same experience.
This is good to hear. The Safelite lady told me I could go with PPG or LOF and that she would request PPG for me. She said my IS 350 only had the Rain sensor though - no acoustic layer

Originally Posted by LexusFury
which do you rather PPG TINT or PPG SOLEX DUPLATE SAFETY GLASS? Two weeks ago I went to safelite company in the location (california), I checked glass out in the warehouse. I saw glasses, there are lots of glasses which they made FY or XYS in china. I told them that I didn't wanna any glasses who made in china. I asked manager that if i wanted to have PPG glass. He could do it when he order PPG glass from PPG company. they shippped item out to safelite. He showed their cars to me, I looked at these glasses, brand name. It is exactly PPG glass that they made in usa like lexus, bmw, or merc-benz and that they made it without logon. Next day Safelite Mobile technician came to my house, I asked them again, I needed to see glass first, I repeat ask him what kind of adhsive do they use? he showed it to me. that he used sika adhsive, it is best sika of the top. I agreed with him that before he installed it for my lexus...
Originally Posted by LexusFury
oh. I have PPG SOLEX.
Any other thoughts on PPG Tint or PPG Solex Duplate Safety Glass? I wasn't told of anything specific on the phone - just PPG. but I would know what to ask for.