GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

help.. windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 05:00 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got them to replace the glass with OEM but now I notice that the water repellent option my original glass had is gone. Has anyone else noticed this? It really made a huge difference driving in the rain. I also noticed that on the Lexus site the 2008 GX does not mention a water repellent windshield, only front door glass. I wonder if they no longer have that option...
Old 03-27-08, 06:20 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use rain-x. Works great!
Old 04-02-09, 12:36 PM
jmbeam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default State Farm wont pay to replace with Lexus windshield

Originally Posted by Salvator
I was quoted $1600 for the glass alone, IIRC... as already mentioned, alternative cheaper glass exists (a glass shop quoted me around $500 for an "OEM" glass, but it wasn't a Lexus windshield...) Fortunately for me, my insurance covered it all, minus $50 deductible...
Could I ask who your insurance was and if you paid extra for this service? State Farm will only pay for the basic windshield, what does that mean?

They always do what's best for them.
Old 04-02-09, 01:24 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

State Farm is using Lynx to process all glass claims. They use their authorized installers. The installer has to go through approval process for 'dealer glass' (OEM). I just went through windshield replacement courtesy of VanWyck. I used Suffolk Glass (authorized installer). I asked for dealer glass, and I got it. It says Lexus on the windshield manufacturer. The only problem I have is that the trim around the windshield is probably not installed properly, as it wobbles, and it's unglued above the windshield (on the roof). I'll take it back to the dealer to correct it, and see what they say.
Old 04-02-09, 08:21 PM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

I just had to have my windshield replaced last week. I had to pay my $250 insurance deductible.

Before calling my insurance company I called my Lexus dealer to get a recommendation for an installer. I then called my insurance company and filed the claim. I told them I wanted to use "Jeff's Auto Glass" and they said that was fine since he was on the approved list. I also told them I wanted Lexus-brand glass. The insurance lady had to get manager approval for it, but called back within 10 minutes with the approval. The glass was then shipped to the Lexus dealer and the installer picked it up and brought it to my house and installed it in my driveway. It took a couple extra days since the glass had to be shipped in special, but I didn't mind.

I guess the point of my story is that if you prefer Lexus glass, be sure to ask for it when you report your cracked windshield to the insurance company. Otherwise you'll end up with whatever the glass company stocks (which may be fine, as previous people have mentioned....)
Old 04-03-09, 06:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Dont know why you guys want Lexus glass, they are much too soft and break / pit / scratch easily. A quality after market glass is a much better choice.
Old 04-03-09, 06:56 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Dont know why you guys want Lexus glass, they are much too soft and break / pit / scratch easily. A quality after market glass is a much better choice.
I was wondering about that. I've heard this mentioned a few times before. Would you know which manufacturer is recommended as the best non-OEM replacement? For the future, just in case.
Old 04-03-09, 07:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

PPG and Pilkington aftermarket windshields are among the best, they make alot of windshields for new cars. They have factory options such as UV block and acoustic layers. BTW the GX's windshield do not have the rain repellent coating, only the side window does. Again I had better luck with these windshield and many other owners had the same experience.
Old 04-06-09, 02:11 PM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by jmbeam
Could I ask who your insurance was and if you paid extra for this service?
Allstate... Not specifically, but I'm sure I'm paying for it somehow!
Old 04-06-09, 08:16 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did this w/mine. Dealer part was $1300, plus install. Called a reputable local shop and got Pilkington installed for $300 out the door. I can't tell a difference. Installer has done both, and said he couldn't tell the difference, with the exception of the lexus stamp. YMMV, but I'm happy to save $1200.
Old 04-07-09, 05:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

That Lexus stamp cost $900 and the Lexus glass is softer too.
Old 04-08-09, 04:16 PM
BobsGX
Racer

The problem with having an aftermarket windshield or any non Lexus glass on a vehicle is when you trade it in, most Lexus/Toyota dealers will notice that the glass is not oem. That will hurt resale value. I know when I used to look for a used vehicle, I always check all the glass for the oem name. No matter what make of vehicle.
Old 04-08-09, 04:26 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
The problem with having an aftermarket windshield or any non Lexus glass on a vehicle is when you trade it in, most Lexus/Toyota dealers will notice that the glass is not oem. That will hurt resale value. I know when I used to look for a used vehicle, I always check all the glass for the oem name. No matter what make of vehicle.
Hmm, seems pretty hypothetical. I've traded in lots of vehicles (20'ish) and have never once seen the inspector look @ the glass other than to check for chips/cracks.

Plus, I'm going to replace the glass a few more times before trading this car in. at $300/pop it's nearly a disposable item. At $1500 it's another matter entirely.
Old 04-09-09, 04:47 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
At this point I am starting to question my relationship with USAA. No accidents or tickets and they will not replace with OEM glass. I only ask they maintain my car like I do. I only use the dealer for all maintenance and only use Lexus parts.
off topic a bit but worth a read...

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog.../12/22728.html

you can thank the previous CEO for the current, pathetic state of affairs down in san antonio. i kept 1 small life insurance policy with usaa but dropped everything else a number of years ago. it is a hollow shell of what was once a really well-run company. it's sad, really.
Old 04-09-09, 05:02 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ebradford
off topic a bit but worth a read...

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog.../12/22728.html

you can thank the previous CEO for the current, pathetic state of affairs down in san antonio. i kept 1 small life insurance policy with usaa but dropped everything else a number of years ago. it is a hollow shell of what was once a really well-run company. it's sad, really.
Good read, I had heard about this last year when I was researching USAA after my very bad experience with customer service. I would be curious to know if things have changed since he left.

Quick Reply: help.. windshield replacement