GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

difference between sequoia and GX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 05:59 AM
stackz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between sequoia and GX?

looking at lots of models and comparing them to the luxury version during our search for a new vehicle.

I'm assuming the GX is the lexus version of the sequoia?? if not, forgive my ignorance.

if it is, is there any major difference between two drivetrain wise that would put the GX over the sequoia?? or is it mainly a comfort rebuild for the lexus with creature features above the sequoia??

I'm just trying to determine that if we go with one or the other how I would justify the price difference and insurance premium difference to myself and my fiance heh.

overall they both seem to be stout vehicles though. do either of them suffer from the recent engine sludge trend in toyota products??
Old 01-04-08, 06:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX is actually the Lexus version of the 4runner, they share the same platform. The sequoia shares a platform with the Toyota Tundra. The sequoia's suspension and 4WD system is a bit more heavy duty, but the GX is very close. The sequoia is a pretty comfortable SUV, it just doesnt have the nice interior that the GX has. Insurance and price wise, its not much of a difference. The Toyota/Lexus V8 does not have the oil sludge problem.
Old 01-04-08, 06:17 AM
stackz
Driver School Candidate

ok, that clears up some confusion for me, thanks!!
Old 01-04-08, 06:58 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Are you looking at the '08 Sequoia? If so it's a new generation and has the 5.7 engine w/ 6spd tranny (although you can still get the older 4.7 and 5spd tranny on the base models). The GX still has the 4.7 w/ 5spd combo which is an excellent drivetrain. The price shouldn't be that much different from a GX, in fact I would expect that the well equipped Sequoias like the new "Platinum" trim line would cost even more then a GX since it's a brand new design whereas the GX is getting a bit long in the tooth as they say. I haven't seen a new Sequoia in person yet but it looks nice in pics ( http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/index.html )
Old 01-04-08, 07:19 AM
stackz
Driver School Candidate

no, looking around 03-05 model years so we can weed out lemons, depreciation, etc. just something to use to tow the boat around with and that can tow a car with a 2wheel dolly.

she was spoiled by our mountaineer with all the little features it had and was wanting something a little better than a standard suv is all.

I'll be damned if I'm going to drop $40k on something that is going to quickly lose value when I've got other things to do like put in a pool and addition to the house lol.
Old 01-04-08, 12:22 PM
Salvator
Driver

We initially beleived the Sequioa and GX 470 were siblings when we first started looking at them, but as already stated, they are seperate. We finally boiled it down this way:

Sequioa = Japanese Chevy Suburban

GX470 = Japanese Land Rover Discovery

Simple things like the location of the shifter (column mount on the Sequoia, console on the GX) made a difference for us... We preferred the more upscale appearance of the GX vs. the Sequoiah... Could have probably saved money with the Sequoiah, but we were planning to spend about what we spent on the GX anyway, and didn't want to miss out on any of the bells and whistles...
Old 01-04-08, 02:31 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Salvator
We initially beleived the Sequioa and GX 470 were siblings when we first started looking at them, but as already stated, they are seperate. We finally boiled it down this way:

Sequioa = Japanese Chevy Suburban

GX470 = Japanese Land Rover Discovery

Simple things like the location of the shifter (column mount on the Sequoia, console on the GX) made a difference for us... We preferred the more upscale appearance of the GX vs. the Sequoiah... Could have probably saved money with the Sequoiah, but we were planning to spend about what we spent on the GX anyway, and didn't want to miss out on any of the bells and whistles...
How about GX470=Landcruiser Prado
One should never use a Toyota product and LandRover in the same sentence unless it was how you pulled a LR out of a ditch with you GX etc
Old 01-05-08, 11:27 PM
wacko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stackz
no, looking around 03-05 model years so we can weed out lemons, depreciation, etc. just something to use to tow the boat around with and that can tow a car with a 2wheel dolly.

she was spoiled by our mountaineer with all the little features it had and was wanting something a little better than a standard suv is all.

I'll be damned if I'm going to drop $40k on something that is going to quickly lose value when I've got other things to do like put in a pool and addition to the house lol.
Try to focus on the '05 model. In this year they added VVTI and a 5-speed transmission. minor tweaks outside make the newer model easy to identify: Rear taillights have side by side Round shapes inside the lights (the older models had 3 horizontal yellow bars.... Hope this helps in your search. BTW pricing should be dropping in the last generations with the release of the new model

Cya,
Joe
Old 01-07-08, 07:44 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by jditom
How about GX470=Landcruiser Prado
One should never use a Toyota product and LandRover in the same sentence unless it was how you pulled a LR out of a ditch with you GX etc
Well, having come from a LR Discovery prior to the GX, the similarities are quite obvious... Same rear door treatment, same third row seat treatment, similar interior treatment (wood, leather, consoles, arm rests, etc.). My point was to suggest a quick and easy mental reference point to distinguish the two... Perhaps another way to look at it is that a Sequoia is a Suburban, and and a GX is an Escalade or a Navigator...

Hopefully I won't need to find out how well a GX does in pulling another vehicle out of a ditch (although I do have a tow strap on board just in case). However, I fear that all of the Lexus electrical nannies will prevent me from providing much assistance...
Old 07-17-18, 07:53 PM
sha831
Driver School Candidate

Default No comparison

I don't like to jump in an old thread but this thread is still valid even with newer models of Sequoia and GX470.
When I saw the Sequoia it didn't impress me at all as it doesn't have that look which a gx470 or Land cruiser has got. I thought being a US production it won't be that good as I always admired Japanese production, all my life driving and changing Japanese vehicles and motor bikes abroad. Sequoia is purely made by/for USA, I haven't seen it abroad or could be very rare. GX470 is the Lexus version of Toyota Prado (Prado has better looking headlights). Like Land cruiser, Prado is very popular world wide. Some well known Toyota models have never been imported to USA like a Toyota Premio, Crown, Mark 2, Mark X and Prado.
After driving a 06 Sequoia on a long journey I was impressed the way it handles. It drives powerful, solid, easy and light. The old Land cruisers have wobbly drive though. The bad things on a 06 Sequoia are: the dash board looks old style and so simple, the steering doesn't feel in the middle, it feels too close to the driver's door and the gear shifter in the steering.
Any reviews about the new 08 Sequoia? I heard it drives more like a heavy truck since it's heavier than older Sequoia. But Sequoia is way cheaper than a similar age/miles land cruiser which will be double the price.
Sequoia is also economical than Land cruiser, gx470 has got same economy as the sequoia has got, all of them have same engines though.
These 3 vehicles have different feelings. None of them is bad, it depends what are your needs as I personally prefer the Sequoia because for the 3rd row leg room and luggage space which I really need. Also considering a Suburban for its spacious cabin (Toyota doesn't have any Suburban size SUV) just worried about how relaible they are. Please share their common issues. I have driven Tahoe and Suburan as well (both old and new shapes (2005 & 2008). They drive calm and cool, feel like a compact mini Bus. Didn't like changing lanes on them and the 3rd row of Tahoe seems too tight. Yukon and cadillac are the same things with differnt badges like Toyota and Lexus are. Another competitor is Nissan Armada but again that's too heavy on gas like Land Cruiser is.