GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Which HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 12:22 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
HID bulbs actually gets whiter as they age, if you can affort it, get the philips bulb.
What is the material difference between the Philips kit vs the XD kit besides the branding?
Old 12-05-08, 12:29 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
What is the material difference between the Philips kit vs the XD kit besides the branding?
I asked that same question to steve, and this is his response:
The only difference between the 2 kits is that the "Philips" kit uses German made Philips bulbs whereas the Xtreme kit for $199.99 uses Japanese bulbs. The "Philips" bulbs will be slightly brighter than the Japanese bulbs.

Old 12-05-08, 12:36 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cssnms
It appears the major downside to the Volt kit is, it does not have two relays.
I did some reading before deciding on the 4300 XD and a lot of people recommend the direct battery connection with relays, I wonder why xenondepot is selling a product that doesn't have this feature.
Old 12-05-08, 01:02 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by malmon
I did some reading before deciding on the 4300 XD and a lot of people recommend the direct battery connection with relays, I wonder why xenondepot is selling a product that doesn't have this feature.
Yeah not sure... Apparently the relay powers the kit directly from the battery to ensure constant 12v. Here's what Steve said...

"The 5000k kit will have a bright white output with a slight bluish tinge. The 6000k/6500k kit will have a blue/purple effect.

In both cases the light output will be significantly brighter than stock.

The Xtreme kit uses Japanese bulbs and ballasts whereas the Volt kit uses Taiwanese components. The Xtreme kit also comes with relay harnesses that will power the ballasts directly from the battery whereas the Volt kit will power the ballasts directly from the car’s stock headlight harness. The benefit of using a relay harness is that it ensures that the ballasts always receive a constant 12V."
Old 12-05-08, 01:28 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cssnms

Here are your answers, again IMNSHO

Are saying 6500k would be just to blue in your opinion? And what does that have to do with where you live? I drive in MD, VA, PA and NC at various times during the year. Yes, and again it's just my opinion. It has to do w/ the fact that where I travel, often times isn't much 'city glow' helping illuminate roadways. Particularly in parts of PA and WV where it can be very very dark. On a heavy overcast and rainy nights, the 5000K just doesn't illuminate as well as the stock HIDs in my GS. Still better than halogen.

Are your 5000k lights whiter by comparison?Yes whiter, but a tad bluer too. I keep meaning to take a picture of my GS's lights vs my GX's against my white garage wall.

I do a fare amount of night driving but I have good eyes, so I don't need the brightest kit (4500k) and quite frankly I really don't need HID lights. Yes, I would like to have brighter lights, but I'll be honest, I just like the look of HID headlights on cars and the light they produce while I am driving. According to Steve, the 6k series kits (6000k and 6500k) would defenitely be brighter then OEM (this is just a benefit IMO) and still provide that distinctive blue HID tint. I did ask him about the 5000k kit, but it is good to hear about another users experience first hand. Without a doubt, any of Steve's HID kits will be better than OEM. That's due to the spread and illumination you gain from HIDs. If you're doing this just for the HID appearance, than by all means, go with what you want in the way of looks. I did it more as a means of function. Plus, I've always have had a soft spot for upgraded lighting - years ago I put Hella 100W bulbs&reflectors in an old 4 light sealed system (for those who remember) for the high beams only of course. Man, when I hit the switch (on the floor mind you ) you could've landed a 747

Good luck w/ your choice and feel free to PM me w/ any other ?s
Old 12-05-08, 02:14 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Did you go with a Volt kit, XD or Phillips? "

I went with the kit in the link below.

XT-4k-H11 H11 4300k Xtreme Xenon HID Conversion Kit $499.99 $199.99
Old 12-05-08, 07:15 PM
mwbuck
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so torn between the 4300 or 5000. I really don't know which to choose.
Old 12-06-08, 04:00 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Here's a question no one mentioned. I think it was on the IS board,but,some people have had problems with bulbs burning out or not working when their headlight switch is set to the "auto" function. The problem is occuring on cars that were not originally equipped with factory HID'S.

For the guys that converted their GX's to HID headlights, has anyone had this happen to them?Below is the link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-function.html

Last edited by Wronglane; 12-06-08 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-06-08, 05:16 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

nope and have had them installed for about 15 months now. I leave mine in auto all the time too (yep I live dangerously ). This includes turning on/off every time I enter/exit garage 2x plus per day. All good so far and no signs of any problems
Old 12-06-08, 05:26 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Thats good news to my ears cause mine should be here soon? By the way,do you see any problems if I decide to add HID fogs too?
Old 12-06-08, 07:29 PM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What's about this kits. It's look good

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=265759

Thanks
VP
Old 12-07-08, 03:53 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

ummm... looks just like this kit: from Xenon Depot but for > double the price. Yes I see it has Philips bulbs but...

You could buy one of Steve's Philips kits and still pay less even w/out using the CL discount
Old 12-07-08, 10:38 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vxphan
What's about this kits. It's look good

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=265759

Thanks
VP
That's a peculiar thread, almost all of the posts are from the vendor. I click onto their site and their products look really impressive, on pictures anyway. What is also amazing is that the Philips brand name is used liberally on the bulbs, ballast and box itself. They even have a phone number and business office address listed.
If this is indeed genuine Philips product, then it is a better deal than the kit with rebased philips bulb from XenondDepot.

XD = $265.99 uses genuine German made Philips 4300k HID bulbs, Xtreme HID ballasts

Mod Express = $290 including the relay wire harness. contain genuine Philips bulbs and ballasts made in Holland. not re-based Philips components, these are made and produced directly by Philips.
Old 12-07-08, 04:39 PM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is pretty much the same product from an Aussie website and also listed in ebay for $245 shipped. I may give them a try. The XD is $265 + $26 shipping

http://www.delonixradar.com.au/HID/#philips

I also saw many other forums purchase these

Thanks
VP
Old 12-08-08, 05:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Philips do not make HID kits, all the so call Philips HID kits out there are made by after market suppliers.

Quick Reply: Which HID Kit