GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

No GX for me

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 01:48 PM
xcantuaj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to compare the two at all.....It felt to much like the 4runner I was trading in. I love the GX...I wish I had bought before I bought the 4runner. I just wanted a change...a better handling SUV. I got the base model for 37k....it already comes with built in blue tooth, HID lights, disappearing third row, heated seats, XM radio...not bad for the price. Who cares about the wood...it serves no purpose.....I'm sure when the new GX comes out I will want it.
Old 12-12-07, 04:12 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks G Man...RAV4 is pretty cool that it is all electronic driven.
Old 12-12-07, 05:20 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Congrats on your decision....

Originally Posted by xcantuaj
Not trying to compare the two at all.....It felt to much like the 4runner I was trading in. I love the GX...I wish I had bought before I bought the 4runner. I just wanted a change...a better handling SUV. I got the base model for 37k....it already comes with built in blue tooth, HID lights, disappearing third row, heated seats, XM radio...not bad for the price. Who cares about the wood...it serves no purpose.....I'm sure when the new GX comes out I will want it.
The MDX looks great. I am sure you will enjoy your new "car". But, I don't think you should be comparing driving an older 4runner with driving the GX. They are different experiences, as many people here have testified after driving both. But, I am sure you will enjoy your MDX.
Old 12-12-07, 05:43 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I thought the SH-AWD rode like crap when I drove one. It was really, really trying to hard to be too many things.

Acura really needs to get their act together.
Old 12-12-07, 06:42 PM
f22cb9
Driver School Candidate

^+1 I have to agree on that. Acura is by far the worst "luxury" division out there. They're cars are nothing more than a ported Honda without the luxury goods. What really kills Acura is there us of FWD for their line up. I don't get, I pay more for an Acura over a Honda and I get the samething in a different package. It's diffinately on the bottom of my list for Japanese Luxury brands.

I've driven my pop's GX a few times and with the dial set all the way to sports mode it's a pleasure to drive. It's a break from the stiff ride on my G35 and it doesn't leave me feeling like I'm driving a boat. Very impressed by this SUV.
Old 12-12-07, 07:13 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

The shame of it is that the Legend, Integra, and NSX were, and are, iconic.
Old 12-12-07, 10:05 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sorry, but the MDX is a near luxury suv, not in the same league as the GX. The new MDX is better than the old one, but the built quality and material used is still not up to par with Lexus. Acura spend most of their money on the MDX's performance parts. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a SUV, performanace or luxury. If you already have a 4runner, it definitely doesnt make sense to buy a GX, but a 08 GX compare to a 08 4runner limited with all options except the nav is only around $3000 more the last time I check, not $20000.
I just bought a new 4runner AWD V8 Limited with everything but nav for $36,500. So your saying you can buy a new GX470 for $39.500?
Old 12-12-07, 10:11 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Never understood why people come here to post when they did not buy a vehicle. For what purpose? To what end? To share what? Trying to rub something in? I suppose the next time I buy apples at the grocery store I can walk up to the grocery manager and tell him I did not buy his oranges. Now if you could share some real insight on why you chose one over the other then this thread would serve a purpose.

But yeah, the MDX is nice but I would not try to compare it to a GX.
Kind of like comparing a SC430 with a SL500 I can because I've owned both.
Old 12-13-07, 04:31 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Q: If you have a choice between MDX vs. RX350, then which would you choose?? This is a more direct comparison rather than GX vs MDX. Frankly, i would choose MDX, even with the fake wood. I will try and find the article, but Canadiandriver took MDX out into the white stuff and found it to be very competent.
Old 12-13-07, 05:50 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I would also take the MDX if I had to choose between the MDX and the RX350 mainly because of the third row seating. I think the MDX handles a lot better and is faster. The only thing I don't like about the MDX is its looks although I'm not a huge fan of the RX350 looks either.
Old 12-13-07, 05:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
I just bought a new 4runner AWD V8 Limited with everything but nav for $36,500. So your saying you can buy a new GX470 for $39.500?
To compare apples to apples, the 4runner v8 limited with DRL, spoiler, 6CD changer, sunroof, air suspension and 3rd row seat invoice at $38,400. The 08 GX has all these options standard except for the 3rd seats. The price for the 3rd row seat drop to about $500 for the 08. So yes, you can now buy a base GX for under $42,000 invoice.
Old 12-13-07, 06:09 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Q: If you have a choice between MDX vs. RX350, then which would you choose?? This is a more direct comparison rather than GX vs MDX. Frankly, i would choose MDX, even with the fake wood. I will try and find the article, but Canadiandriver took MDX out into the white stuff and found it to be very competent.
I would pick RX350 for Lexus's build quality, reliability and services.
Old 12-13-07, 06:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Well, patgilm and tigmd99, most people disagree with you two, I am not saying I disagree, but the sales number does. The RX350 outsells the MDX almost 2 to 1. Year to date sales number for 11/07: RX350 91500 units, MDX 52700 units. Also take into the consideration that the MDX is a redesign vehicle and the RX has been around forever, the MDX should have much better sales numbers.
IMO, the RX is not really a direct competitor of MDX. The RX has a much softer ride and it is design for luxury not performance. The MDX's performance is almost as good as X5 or Cayenne, but not quite up to par with those 2 suv as far as luxury is concerned. That leaves the MDX in a very odd place, maybe the closest thing to the MDX is the FX, but the FX is not a 7 passenger car. The Mazda CX9 comes to mind when comparing performance 7 seaters, but what a shame when a top of the line SUV from a luxury division has to be compare to a Mazda.
Old 12-13-07, 07:27 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well, patgilm and tigmd99, most people disagree with you two, I am not saying I disagree, but the sales number does. The RX350 outsells the MDX almost 2 to 1. Year to date sales number for 11/07: RX350 91500 units, MDX 52700 units. Also take into the consideration that the MDX is a redesign vehicle and the RX has been around forever, the MDX should have much better sales numbers.
IMO, the RX is not really a direct competitor of MDX. The RX has a much softer ride and it is design for luxury not performance. The MDX's performance is almost as good as X5 or Cayenne, but not quite up to par with those 2 suv as far as luxury is concerned. That leaves the MDX in a very odd place, maybe the closest thing to the MDX is the FX, but the FX is not a 7 passenger car. The Mazda CX9 comes to mind when comparing performance 7 seaters, but what a shame when a top of the line SUV from a luxury division has to be compare to a Mazda.
Between these 2 I would go with the RX. I picked the 4runner limited because I did not want Nav and I like the looks of the 4runner over the GX. GX is a great vehicle with a better warranty but I think it is more of a orange county girls vehicle. All are great vehicles it just depends on what you need/want. No losers here. I also have a SL500 for fun/sun and the upscale look.
Old 12-13-07, 07:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Wait Max, did you say you would buy the RX because the GX is a girl's car

Last edited by The G Man; 12-13-07 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: No GX for me